+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Icecrown Lord Marrowgar

Qoestion for the peeps who downed him already:

How much was your avarage DPS in the group? Was that round 4kDPS?

We seem to have problems there i guess. We got him to 32% percent last night, then eventually one of the tanks died and so did the raid

I've heard that if you have your healers/casters stack behind the boss, like right on the edge of his hitbox or even a bit inside, they will not get hit by coldflame. Can anyone confirm this?

Lord Marrowgar will now do significantly less melee damage in both the 10 player normal and 10 player heroic difficulty.
    So says the Big Blue: World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> Recent In-Game Fixes - Decmeber 2009 - 12/14

Guess it was hitting quite hard in 10man.

Yeah, looks like his 10m physical damage was roughly the same as 25m damage, from reports in this thread. Which can be a little hectic when you have half the healing throughput.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I've heard that if you have your healers/casters stack behind the boss, like right on the edge of his hitbox or even a bit inside, they will not get hit by coldflame. Can anyone confirm this?
    This is true, however this results in flames being shot at the tanks which requires them to move and generally makes bad things happen.

Maybe have the melee and healers stand inside the hitbox with a few ranged dps outside so the flames have valid targets.

Did the 10 version last night (work sucks!!).
    MT(warrior) and OT(bear) run together. MT uses minor cd every times that takes agro (pull and agro reset of phase 2), because of the movement of the raid.
    We used Shaman, Priest Holy an Pala to heal.
    Dps and healers near the door, and close to each other because the damage of phase 2 is not really big nor really dificult to avoid.
    Shaman on MT (our best geared heal), Pala on OT. Holy helps and raid.
    melee dps (retri and dk) always with the boss.
    ranged boss and the spike.
    Armor potions at the 20%. Really help. Armor aura and frost aura.
    Around 4k dps itīs ok i think, canīt remember how much we did.

I think that if everyone is near the healers, and moves out of the fire (it moves really slow...), and the spike goes down fast, there is no problem.
    For the agro reset, hunter misdi and bear(OT) bleedings are great.
    Remember the AP debuff to the boss.

This figth is hard for healers i think. The longer it takes, the harder itīs for them.

Did it in 10-man with 2 warrior tanks ~39k hp unbuffed, and shammy, Holy priest, druid healers (no pally heals, tho). Wiped a couple times but once we emphasized the DPS on the spikes, we did quite well. I think getting people, mainly healers, outta the spikes ASAP is the key to this fight once positioning is understood, regardless of raid makeup. If you can down the spikes in 2-3 secs, you should have no problems. As the main tank, I just stood where I was during WW, unless I needed to move for flames, until about 20-25 secs and then started to go in and get in range to pick him up. A well-timed Misdirection is helpful, but i had to use Heroic Throw so he didn't nuke the healers. All in all it didn't seem too bad. His melee was hitting me for about 9-12k and his lashes were hitting me for about 13-15k. The melee nerf will help significantly. Make the spikes a priority for ur ranged DPS and it'll be smooth.

We got to Saurfang and got him to 13% but wiped. Not too bad for a 1st run and some pugs, imo.

yea thats what i thought . thanks it was just bugin me i had to ask

Quote Originally Posted by phaze View Post
    Yeah, looks like his 10m physical damage was roughly the same as 25m damage, from reports in this thread. Which can be a little hectic when you have half the healing throughput.
    I thought he hit hard intentionally to gear check tanks. His hits weren't *that* much harder than the giant skeletons (deathbound ward?), and our biggest problem was picking him up after a ww rather than tank death (although they died a few times too).

Eating a saberlash solo was pretty brutal, but still under 30k damage. So not quite a one-shot.

We'll see how it goes this week. Also, for the record our tanks are 10 man geared, although we do have emblem and heroic pieces so I guess technically we overgear the instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
    I thought he hit hard intentionally to gear check tanks. His hits weren't *that* much harder than the giant skeletons (deathbound ward?), and our biggest problem was picking him up after a ww rather than tank death (although they died a few times too).
    From looking at our 10m logs: we were seeing the Wards meleeing for ~7k while Marrowgar weighed in around ~16k, when they weren't spamming Saber Lash. For Saber Lash, the Wards were in the ~13k range, compared to Marrowgar's ~32k range; this fits the 200% weapon damage it reports as being.

For us, the biggest hurdle came from the healers getting behind when one of them took a Bone Spike. 1s swing time = tanks can drop quick at that rate. I'm looking forward to a lot less tank gibs after today's change.

This fight has become quite fun for me for some reason. Perhaps it's because everything so hinges on good tank movement and positioning. I don't know what it is about 25 man though that causes people not to be able to dodge fire. We worked on it for about 2 hours last night before splitting into two groups for some 10 man trials. Our 10 man group one shot him and the other did it in two. Whatever it is about the extra people that makes it so hard, I just can't figure it out.

I distinctly recall saying the phrase "It's just like hegian, dance round that flame boys! Dance!" which I may possibly never live down. We'll see.

I do want to point out that this fight does not seem to have an enrage mechanic. It's simply about survivability. Fire, spikes and to a less extent whirlwind are the only real killers if you've got a halfway decent heal team and tanks who can move correctly. If you are just dying repeatedly chances are good it's not because your dps wasn't high enough, but simply that people are dying for bad reasons. That being said, because there's no enrage (that we've come across anyway) there's no reason a dps with a healing offspec couldn't switch over for this fight.

Has anyone else noticed a correlation between the number of people in close proximity to him and whether he shoots fire at the tanks? Generally speaking we never get the coldflame in our direction, unless everyone (or nearly everyone, can't be too sure) is basically in melee range of the boss. Then he'll shoot flame at the tanks and we have to move. As long as the majority of the ranged are at range, it never seems to happen unless someone gets behind the tanks at range. I'd like to figure out if there's some magic number but at present I think we're just happy to get the loot and move on with the night.

Quote Originally Posted by phaze View Post
    From looking at our 10m logs: we were seeing the Wards meleeing for ~7k while Marrowgar weighed in around ~16k, when they weren't spamming Saber Lash. For Saber Lash, the Wards were in the ~13k range, compared to Marrowgar's ~32k range; this fits the 200% weapon damage it reports as being.

For us, the biggest hurdle came from the healers getting behind when one of them took a Bone Spike. 1s swing time = tanks can drop quick at that rate. I'm looking forward to a lot less tank gibs after today's change.
    So I figured it out.

I remember Marrowgar's saberlash being around 30k total, but I never ate it solo when we made 'good' attempts on him. So my log was full of hits between 12k and 16k.

I also swear the Wards were saberlashing for 16k, but that's probably because I didn't put up demo shout on them. We got two wards last week, so both tanks had to grab one, and we just split them up and ate lashes solo. For hits of up to 16k which is all I focused on.

In any case, my statement might still be true now that Marrowgar's been nerfed rather severely.

@Treston - I believe the coldflames work like blood nova or shadow crash. As long as a minimum number of people are in range, he'll only choose from them. If you fall below that minimum he'll choose from the entire raid.

Hey guys, tomorrow my guild will be stepping into ICC for the first time. As usual I'm here the night before watching your strats so I can steal... learn from you all. Thanks for all the help!

According to the latest bluepost Lord Marrowgar is now tauntable.

So strange. I thought this boss was really well tuned. A giant gear check with some raid coordination thrown in on the phase transition. A perfect gateway boss to ICC.

Especially since gear wise Deathwhisper and the airship battle aren't that demanding. Oh well, he's still a gateway boss since I don't even think Saurfang hits as hard as him and he still does lots of things to test that your raid can push buttons and chew gum at the same time .

I'm just a little confused is all.

An aggro-wipe with "not being tauntable" is frustrating, not fun and challenging. Are there ways around it? Yes. But it's easy to not land those perfectly and lose a key raid member or two and watch yourself wipe because you couldn't simply taunt him when he came out of the whirlwind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulia View Post
    An aggro-wipe with "not being tauntable" is frustrating, not fun and challenging. Are there ways around it? Yes. But it's easy to not land those perfectly and lose a key raid member or two and watch yourself wipe because you couldn't simply taunt him when he came out of the whirlwind.
    Making Marrowgar tauntable just took out the single thing that made this fight interesting and challenging for tanks and dps. Stop dps right before he comes out of whirl, people with dots get range and tanks gogo make threat o someone dies.

Is more interesting then: stand back and taunt.

I'm sad they made this change. A lot of people have already overcome his taunt immunity and it added an extra layer of complexity which made this fight just a bit more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulia View Post
    its not challenging or frustrating to have him untauntable. rogues can ToTT to the tank and hunters can MD and he will glue to the tanks anyways. The only thing frustrating about it is requiring your raiders to think.. is that really so bad?

Just out of curiosity, approximately how much health does a bone graveyard spike have??

Wow he's tauntable now? That will make this much easier, no doubt.

Our strat is to stack everyone on his butt, as some have illuded to here. This indeed causes all fire to shoot at the tanks (unless you have a hunter, since hunters can't get in close). It's not that hard to step side to side when there's a fire. Move right...move left...move right...move left... real easy, simple strafing.

+ Reply to Thread