+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Better gear=less threat

Better gear=less threat

I'm a prot war u can armory me name Mughalkhan on Korgath.Problem is that shortly after i got my Epic achievement i had 300 hit,544 defense and 29 expertise.Well now i have 232 and 245 item lvl gear and what i need most has droped down.Defense is ok but expertise is 10 i'm not even capped.Threat is my issue.Had to change my talent build also because of that cause i didnt have Vigilance and because of that threat making loss had to get that talent just to 'steal' some threat from a rogue or from the most making threat dps.I need to use at every raid the expertise elixir because if not i'm kicked out.If anyone has any tips what i can do pls write.
    P.S. I know what u might say 'gem and enchant for expertise' well cant either cause guild wants more hp then anything and even if i'm in pug they dont want me tanking with 32k hp.

I cant see your gear cause the armory is down. If you are just getting the epic achievement than your gear probably has a ways to go. Get the level 245 helm. It has a nice amount of expertise on it. Now that 3.3 has hit just run heroics for badges and upgrade your gear. Being expertise capped is more important than hit for tanks. For multiple mobs consider using glyphs of cleave and sunder armor. I can't see your spec either but a typical 15/3/53 works well. On a side note, stacking stamina isn't everything. Your armor and avoidance stats are important too. Most new tanks have no choice but to gem defense in order to reach the 540 cap. With better gear gemming defense becomes unecessary and those gems can be replaced with stam and stam/exp gems. Having 32k unbuffed HP and being exp capped is fairly easy to reach with better gear.

Can you link your armory please (probably will be down today), but short and sweet answer is, follow the steps below,

1. Make sure your priorities are right, SS>Rev>Dev stuff
    2. Use deep wounds build
    3. Use Vigilance on high threat DPS
    4. If still have issues, use Glyph of Vigilance and Glyph of devastate.

Further can only be added after I see your gear and spec

expertise elixir and rhinoliciuos worm steaks, just get ur expertise as close to 50 as you possibly can, dw bout hit for threat ... i run bugger all, no dps can even come close and i can pull off other tanks while im off tanking (i can easily pull threat back off a tank that has just taunted gormock)

Why don't people just link their armoury profile instead of asking us to look it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirloinsteak View Post
    expertise elixir and rhinoliciuos worm steaks, just get ur expertise as close to 50 as you possibly can,
    50? does it make that much more difference going over 26 that much?

Quote Originally Posted by kingymech View Post

it seems to ... Ive tested it in game (haven't done any real math) and i seem to be untouchable in threat the more expertise i get ... the closer you get to 50 (i think you need to get it to 12% to completely remove parries) it starts to remove parry from the table ie. your attacks cannot be dodged or parried therefore all your attacks hit the boss = threat

my hit sits around 120-150 in raids and i cant even remember the last time i seen a miss from my toon

Quote Originally Posted by kingymech View Post
    Yes, and this is why Expertise is always better than Hit - Warriors - TankingTips.com

It was said earlier this week on another post that expertise is extremely important for warriors compared to other tank classes (paladins, etc.). Your guild needs to realize that if you want to hold aggro, you need to temporarily sacrifice some health for expertise. As your gear improves, you can gradually go back to adding more health again, since most tank pieces have considerable amounts of expertise on them, eliminating the need to gem them.

And its a deliberate tact from what GC said and will continue.

They don't want one BIS set of gear so pieces with threat stats won't have the best EH stats. It creates a bit more mix and match on gear.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

ehh...im just over the soft cap of expertise(33 currently) and I have about 66 hit. I have no issues at all w/ my threat-every piece i have is ilevel 245. Not sure if getting as close to 50 is necessary, just stay above the soft cap and you should be fine.

Going forward-what are you prioritizing in your rotation and spec's to adjust to this loss in threat you have? Perhaps you aren't HS'ing enough....are your glyphs where they need to be in terms of threat generation?

Quote Originally Posted by vine View Post
    Why don't people just link their armoury profile instead of asking us to look it up?
    Just posted and the armory is down so i cant link, as soon as it comes up i'll link

Quote Originally Posted by gabbu View Post
    Can you link your armory please (probably will be down today), but short and sweet answer is, follow the steps below,

1. Make sure your priorities are right, SS>Rev>Dev stuff
    2. Use deep wounds build
    3. Use Vigilance on high threat DPS
    4. If still have issues, use Glyph of Vigilance and Glyph of devastate.

Further can only be added after I see your gear and spec
    1. I'm doing that
    2. I'm builed like that
    3. I'm using that
    4. I have the devastate one but not the vigilance

Well its hard guys because lets see in some pug raids there are 2 or 3 dps that crit so much that i cant keep up with the threat.They dont watch the thret meter so they just stand there and dps i lose threat and raid wipes so 'tanks fault' for the wipe.I MT ony 25 and some dps just start right away so its hard to get the starting amount of threat.Its not only about us tanks.I need to get capped for the stupid dps that dont watch the threat meter.
    Had the sword from htoc i dont remember its name and now i have the the one from ony.The one in ony is item lvl 232 and the htoc one is 219 but it has expertise.The one from ony just procs once in a while with 1400 armor and 100def.The armor i need but the def i dont.Everybody i asked they said that 'cant u just look the item lvl to compare the weapons but i dissagree sometimes a lower lvl is better but here comes another thingpl just dont ask ur spec and stats they ask for gearscore damn like that matters.Anyway best thing is to shut up and do some raids once in a while to get that 245 helm and maybe then i wont have so much trouble.

Ty guys for your tips

All the i245 gear in the world won't help you if the ranged DPS are going bonkers before you're even in melee range.

Unless it's an issue with your rotation....? Are you losing threat at the very beginning (first 15 seconds) of a boss encounter, or is it randomly throughout? Reason I ask is because if it's randomly throughout, it sounds like you may be missing an important step of your rotation.

Also, what classes tend to be pulling the mob off you? Most classes have some type of threat-reducing ability. Paladins have Blessing of Salvation, Warlocks can Soul Shatter, etc. This is of course just guessing since we can't view your armory page.

Quote Originally Posted by disregard_lc View Post
    All the i245 gear in the world won't help you if the ranged DPS are going bonkers before you're even in melee range.

Unless it's an issue with your rotation....? Are you losing threat at the very beginning (first 15 seconds) of a boss encounter, or is it randomly throughout? Reason I ask is because if it's randomly throughout, it sounds like you may be missing an important step of your rotation.

Also, what classes tend to be pulling the mob off you? Most classes have some type of threat-reducing ability. Paladins have Blessing of Salvation, Warlocks can Soul Shatter, etc. This is of course just guessing since we can't view your armory page.
    Nope at firs i'm fine i get something like 50-80k threat fast because ss is up then revenge cause i just clicked sblock and dev.It starts after 20 or 30 seconds ussualy its a lock or mage that gets a lot of tps and they keep on pulling threat and i just have to taunt to equal theyr thret and ss and revenge and devastate and then taunt again and the same ss revenge devastate.Its hard i cant even pay attencion to anything else.

here i am finaly now u guys can see what i'm talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Mughalkhan View Post
    Nope at firs i'm fine i get something like 50-80k threat fast because ss is up then revenge cause i just clicked sblock and dev.It starts after 20 or 30 seconds ussualy its a lock or mage that gets a lot of tps and they keep on pulling threat and i just have to taunt to equal theyr thret and ss and revenge and devastate and then taunt again and the same ss revenge devastate.Its hard i cant even pay attencion to anything else.
    Are you rage dumping via HS? I did a VOA pug last night and despite my 4Kish gear score I had no problems staying well head of the DPS. I have HS tied to my revenge so I just spam that key to queue it up.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Korgath&cn=Mughalkhan&gn=The+Goonies

If you're worried about health, drop the Ony trinket and pick EoG or SiS, maybe a brewmaster one if you have it lying around.
    drop your 10def/15 stam ones, you're 10 over the cap and could replace them with 30 stam. 16 def to cape is kinda meh too, drop it if you can stay capped without it.

Not sure what your problem is, sitting at 225 hit and 9 exp, I don't get touched.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbu View Post
    well i never knew that, shame im not gemmed for hit and its on my gear instead.

+ Reply to Thread