Thread: Naxxramas frustrations for a casual tank

Naxxramas frustrations for a casual tank

Tonite our casual guild tried 10 man Naxxramas. Even though I can succesfully tank Trial of the Champion on heroic, we wiped 10 times on the first boss Anub'Rekhan.

Most of the wipes were caused by me dying on a locust swarm. On the first 8 tries I pulled Anub to the doorway entrance and just stayed put when the Locust Swarm was cast. Popped shield wall and enraged regeneration on first cast of swarm, last stand, herbalism etc on the second (if it ever got that far). Usually I just died on the first swarm.

The pally healer was overgeared for content.

The dps we do is adequate, I'd say around 1.5k to 2.5k per each dps.

I know I am not the smartest tank around but I can keep aggro and am able to pop cooldowns when stuff hits the fan. But also I think with my gear I shouldnt even need to pop cd's.

The World of Warcraft Armory

The last two wipes I kited him around the edge but still died. The healer said I got out of his range.

At all times, when locust swarm comes up, I just see my health dwindling away until dead or close to death. We only got to the second swarm like 4 or 5 times.

What do you think is the problem?

Question #2: should I even have to use my CD's at my gear level assuming that the other members have similar or slightly lower average gear level?

Did the healer get too close during swarm, and thus get silenced? That's the only major factor I can think of. We never kited Anub, even back when we were in content-appropriate gear.

Of course you should use your cooldowns when the situation calls for it. What else can you imagine needing Shield Wall or Last Stand for within 2-5 minutes after Anub? Even if you "shouldn't have to", you should use them when appropriate.

Edit: It's possible the healer was also worrying about the offtank and forgetting about you during swarm. (Was he topping a tank with delicious Bacon of Light?)

Yes, the healer said that either he was silenced or I was out of range on all occasions. Really dont understand that as on 8 tries i just stayed put at the doorway.

Bacons: Yes, I looked at the combat log afterwards and I did see lots of Beacons of Light cast on me.

Agree on the cooldowns. Just intended to highlight the problem as I had almost 40k health raid buffed and was thinking that the the cooldowns shouldnt be necessary to survive with my health & avoidance.

I'd suggest you get an addon like obituary or grim reaper (I don't use them, so I can't comment on them). It shows who died and how, and in your case, how much healing (or lack thereof) you received during the silencing phase.

The trick to healing it is as follows:
    -You can stay put or kite around the outside edge of the room. It doesn't matter
    -Your healers should have DeadlyBossMods (or equivalent) when a swarm phase is coming. If they don't, have somebody who does have it yell it out over vent or Raid Warning it.
    -When the swarm is incoming, there is a BIG GREEN CIRCLE at the center of the room. Have them stand within the green circle as far away from you. The green circle is much smaller than the room's floor, if they stand as far away from you as possible while still being in the circle, they will avoid the silence, but should still be at healing range (or darn near close that one or two steps closer will do the trick).

I wouldn't even mention cooldown use, then. The problem seems to be that the healer is getting silenced when he/she shouldn't be. Max range should be fine for healing through the swarm. Kiting seems to only cause problems with range, among other things.

With minor speed on your boots you can outrun the swarm, unless your dbm timer is off which happens if you turn and start kiting around the edge 4 secs before the cast you shouldn't get a stack and take no damage during the swarm.

But even with this if your healers aren't going to be waiting for you on the other side of the room something is very wrong.

Another day, another failure

Haha, we tried it again yesterday three times and still I get killed.
    I pull Anub to the doorway where we entered. I move Anub so that my back is towards the center of the room. Anub is in front of me. Still the healer gets silenced. Once on the second wave, twice on the first wave.

Whose fault? Could it somehow be my fault?

I tried going around the room but it seems that that way the healer has even more trouble being in range and not silenced.

I think that the healer should get a range add-on and make sure that the range to me is around 35 yards. That way he would be out of Locust swarm (30 yards) but still in range of his healing spells (40 yards).

Unless you're somehow bringing Anub over to them, it is absolutely not your fault. It is EVERYONE (else)'s job to make sure they are out of range of Locust Swarm before it finishes casting. Healers and Ranged need to make sure they are at max range.

It sounds like you have a healer who is used to being able to stand in one spot and mash buttons. Do they have trouble with void zones? It is *just* like moving out of Ouchy Things, only instead of moving out, it's being at max range. I'm not implying that your healer is bad or anything, just that they need to learn how to move around and test for max range. It's something Anub teaches everyone in the raid.

(Secondary comment: Not sure how others do it, but we generally have the tank's back to the wall to help out melee dps. And STILL the healers can avoid getting silenced.)
    Last edited by Athenodorus; 10-25-2009 at 08:53 AM.

I make sure ranged is on the left hand side of the of the circle.
    The center of the room split down the middle they stand on the left side.

I DPS him with my back to the green pit or real close to it and once swarm gets ready to pop I start running in the right side of the green slime. This set up helps keep you ranged away from the silence. Even with out buffs you should be faster than him and I usually will pop my shield to reduce any damage.

The healer definately needs to watch what it going on and heal you as needed when you kite him to the other side.

I just run back and forth but I will be honest I don't remember the last time I saw 2 swarms before he was dead you may want some more DPS as well.

You should be able to just sit without kiting if your healer is overgeared. Heck, our guild did that when we were gear-appropriate.

The healer needs to learn how to sit on the edge of his healing range, and if you get spiked into the air and move out of range, he needs to learn how to edge towards you to get you back in range.

He should also not be directly behind anub (i.e. with anub between you and him). He should be offside; it makes it easier to be in range without getting hit by the swarm and silenced. Alternately, you can turn the boss sideways to make yourself more accessible.

If Anub'rekan isn't being moved, then the healer can just stand at max range and be completely fine. Doesn't even need to move.

So, as bad as this sounds...it's the healer's fault you're dying. He needs to stand further away, and you need to make sure Anub'rekan is standing still (and like someone said, turn him sideways so you're both the same distance away from the healer).

Quote Originally Posted by Ossian View Post
    Yes, the healer said that either he was silenced or I was out of range on all occasions. Really dont understand that as on 8 tries i just stayed put at the doorway.
    Based on your gear, there is no way you should be wiping on Anub in Naxx 10; it's a healer issue. Have your healer get DBM then type "/range". Locust Swarm has a 30 yd range, he/she needs to do the math.

Its also a strat issue.

The easiest strat:

Pull him to a point 90 degree from where he starts I usually take the right side. Keep him face at the 45 degree from the centre of the circle on the line you pulled him. DO NOT MOVE.

Your healer stands max heal range to you between the centre and the doorway you came in. If you are max heal range he is outside the silence range as the boss is futher away.

OT hangs out where boss was at start because thats where the add spawns.

Very basic no moving and easy for everyone.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

we use the kiting method, we start anub across the room from where we enter. our healers only get silenced if the tank makes the mistake of pulling him on the main floor instead of the outside ring near the wall. if doing it that way the healer is still getting silenced they are too close, they need to move back, and heal from 35 to 40 yards from you. they can move as you do, and since they are a pally healer they have atlease 1 instant heal. anub is the easiest boss in naxx imo.

Poor Anub'Rekhan remembers a time three years ago when two stacks of locust swarm was death for any tank too slow on kiting.

Nice necro job ShadowWolf.

Healer needs to find the sweet spot where to heal but not be silenced.

What I've always done is kited him, Have all healers casters move to the center of the room OT take adds to the left of the room and i kite him around the right hand side, If the healer stays in the middle there shouldn't be a problem Make sure you keep him ready to run when he casts L/S then run around the side, Get topped up by the healer and crack on,

And also if you feel the need to pop your CD,s don't think twice about it do it, Since you're the MT if you die the entire raid goes. I Wouldn't use CD's unless half of the raid is gone and you see the raid is failing so you 'wipe'2 it and restart the encounter. The best strat for this boss is the one ciderhelm done use that as a guide and good luck for when you clear it :P