+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do Damage Shield is no longer proccing deep wounds?

Do Damage Shield is no longer proccing deep wounds?

• Damage Shield: This ability will no longer trigger any chance-on-hit effects from the warrior or the opponent it damages.
    Does anyone brighter than me feel this significantly alters anything?

I think it's a fix to make it work as originally intended.

To my recollection damage shield doesn't do much damage anyway, so the bleed effect (from deep wounds) would have been miniscule -- meaning it didn't generate much in the way of threat anyhow.
    Last edited by Bashal; 12-10-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Think about it this way: It works better now.

As well as it not proccing things for you, it also will not trigger an effect from an enemy where hitting them damages you.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Deep wounds is per crit, not chance on hit, and I don't really remember but I didn't think damage shield could crit. It never proc'd deep wounds.

Edit: Yup I was right, not a single crit over the course of a raid:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/d...gm/details/28/
    Last edited by Aggathon; 12-10-2009 at 12:45 PM.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

To those who don't know, Damage Shield used to proc deep wounds, and use your weapon damage as the modifier. So, you could pull a group of trash, hit shield block, and have deep wounds on all of them.

Yes, this is a damage nerf to our AOE tanking. But, it is a small one, b/c Thunderclap usually puts up DW anyway.

The reason this change went live is warrior tanks were very unique in that they could flag a creature without ever attacking it. DS proccing DW would flag a mob to you, and you would never actually have to hit it to get credit for a kill. This was obviously a bug, as other things (ret aura, thorns) don't flag a mob on you.

Quote Originally Posted by holmedog View Post
    To those who don't know, Damage Shield used to proc deep wounds, and use your weapon damage as the modifier. So, you could pull a group of trash, hit shield block, and have deep wounds on all of them.

Yes, this is a damage nerf to our AOE tanking. But, it is a small one, b/c Thunderclap usually puts up DW anyway.

The reason this change went live is warrior tanks were very unique in that they could flag a creature without ever attacking it. DS proccing DW would flag a mob to you, and you would never actually have to hit it to get credit for a kill. This was obviously a bug, as other things (ret aura, thorns) don't flag a mob on you.
    When was this, was it just fixed in 3.3? I honestly don't remember it or have I seen any changes in threat.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    When was this, was it just fixed in 3.3? I honestly don't remember it or have I seen any changes in threat.
    It was just fixed in 3.3

As I said, it is a very small nerf, one that probably won't even be noticed, because DW will still proc from TC and SW, and you'll more than likely have DW on all targets within 6 seconds anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by holmedog View Post
    It was just fixed in 3.3

As I said, it is a very small nerf, one that probably won't even be noticed, because DW will still proc from TC and SW, and you'll more than likely have DW on all targets within 6 seconds anyway.
    Hrm... well the more you know. Ya I never really noticed it and just assumed it was always tclap/cleave/shockwave that put up the effect since DS can't crit.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Hrm... well the more you know. Ya I never really noticed it and just assumed it was always tclap/cleave/shockwave that put up the effect since DS can't crit.
    Actually, apparently the ability for DS to crit on any mob that would matter to us (eg, raid/heroic mobs) was removed in 3.1.3, so consider my rant earlier to be old news.

The thing this should impact will be mostly dps trinkets (on hit), and this could be considered a good thing because you won't lose that proc while not actively melee'ing.
    Last edited by holmedog; 12-10-2009 at 01:15 PM.

I thought this change was all about pvp? Didnt sapping us de-stealth the rogue because it triggered.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

I've never had a rogue sap me and get popped out of stealth, and whenever there's a rogue I automatically switch to D stance and sword and board it.

+ Reply to Thread