• Sometimes

40 27.97%
  • Never

58 40.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Do you run Glyph of Taunt?

Quote Originally Posted by DogShep View Post
    I think most people in here are talking about TOC/TOGC, where the most important hits you can't block. This is why most tanks just stack stamina recently, because avoidance does so little in the Trials.
    Blocking and avoidance at the right time DOES help. Even the non-avoidable hit can often be blocked so shield block helps there. Also blocking and avoidance do help on those so-called non-avoidable scenarios.

Let's see: why do you die from Gormok?
    Well: from his insanely hard hitting impale?
    Wrong.
    You are gona get the impale anyway. You die because you were not fully topped before you got the impale. And how do you help your healers be fully topped? By using avoidance clickies and shieldblock.

I agree, it does help at some points, but to give up something else just to get block... I don't see the reason. Sure I pop avoidance CDs just in case I can avoid/block a small hit from Gormok, but I won't go out of my way to stack for avoidance.

So yes, it definitely does help a bit, but not as much where I'll go and stack block.

Apparently I am very late to this discussion but I will throw in my 2cents. I run Blocking / Devastate / Taunt.

Reasoning behind my choices:
    • Blocking - helps reduce incoming damage, improves outgoing damage and is nice on fights such as Anub'arak ads with my block set.
    • Devastate - absolutely required, get sunders up faster to improve raid-wide dps, improve threat, added bonus since they buffed devastate in 3.2
    • Taunt - i find that I do not need reduced Shield Wall, don't have threat issues so don't need Vigilance & glyph of Last Stand is simply bad. Tank swaps can be HUGE depending on the fight and I simply do not see any reason to not use it. In ICC we seem to be getting some more hit itemization on gear again so I might re-consider once fully upgraded in ICC but up to this point in ToC gear it definitely seems like Taunt is the best choice when compared to the other options.
    I would give Shield Wall higher priority then Blocking but there aren't that many times when I need my wall so the longer cooldown isn't a problem when used in a spaced out rotation with Last Stand, trinkets & shield block. That added to the fact that when I DO need my shield wall having it reduce 60% of the incoming damage instead of 40% is a nice bonus

EDIT: If ICC brings another fight like General then I would definitely switch my glyph of Blocking over to Shield Wall but either way I would likely keep both Devastate and Taunt unless I get a lot more gear upgrades with hit itemization in ICC.

I've been running with Glyph of Taunt since we first got to Algalon, and its been useful since then with Gormok and Anubarak adds, but with as much hit on gear as we are getting this tier, I may be switching it out for something else, possibly Vigilance or HS

Vigilance is the Key

I have tanked Algalon 25, Toc 25 HM... never used glyph of taunt.

If taunt fails... aoe taunt, mocking blow, and so on.

If the combat have adds around and you don't want to use aoe taunt, put Vigilance on the other tank seconds before you have to taunt, and you will have a no-CD taunt (this Strategy is perfect for tank rotation in Gormok or Algalon, plus 3% damage reduced ).

I found another fight where Taunt wins for me.

Deathbringer - Since we use 2 tanks to swap on the Rune of Blood having it to ensure quick swaps is nice. I hate saying over vent "I got it".... when I really don't. Sure you can have back ups like mocking blow (challenging is not an option if beasts are spawning) but with as much healing as there is going on (especially later in the fight with several marks up) I don't want healers hesitating if a taunt misses and throw them off.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

I have revised my thinking and plan on dumping the Taunt Glyph in ICC (explained here)

Regarding Deathbringer it is really easy to throw vigilance on the other tank a couple seconds before he does Rune of Blood = infinite taunts when needed. Once you have aggro simply switch it to one of the DPS. Benefit is two fold making the healers lives a little easier with 3% less damage taken by the other tank for a while and also making sure you can get your taunt through.

**Note - if tank swapping for that fight... don't use a Druid as the 2nd tank lol. Too easy for them to hit the ads

Or they could just unglyph maul.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

just curious as to why all of you use the shield wall glyph. isnt that supposed to be a "panic" button? so why would you use it if you still have a slightly long cool down and take the less damage reduction? if in case it truely is a panic button?

shield wall glyph is to turn it into a more constant cool down kind of how death knights used to chain CDs to tank in Naxx/OS, losing 40% is a pretty significant change from 60% but timing it at specific points and having it over and over again throughout a fight is pretty useful.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I wouldn't consider Shield Wall a 'panic button' as much as a planned method for reducing incoming damage. Good tanks utilize their cooldowns proactively throughout fights (even on trash) to help healers and make things smooth with no surprises. That combined with a lack of better alternatives = glyph of SW lol

Ya, I actually click shield wall because I want to make sure I save it for a specific time instead of fat fingering it, I use shield block and last stand more frequently for panic buttons, and trinkets too to an extent.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

+ Reply to Thread