• Sometimes

40 27.97%
  • Never

58 40.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you run Glyph of Taunt?

Do you run Glyph of Taunt?

The last few months I've ran Glyph of Taunt in one of my tanking specs. I have the luxury of having 2 protection specs for my warrior so this isn't as challenging to do for me as it may be for some.

Why I started using it should be fairly obvious. Even though I don't pursue hit, there was a lack of it on some of the better gear out there and I saw a lot of Taunts missing. After all, Taunt has a 17% (446 hit since it's spell hit) chance to miss if you don't run any hit which means with low hit you'll see a Taunt miss on Gormok roughly every other attempt. Not a great way to learn hard modes.

So, here's how it breaks down for me.

Spec 1: Deep Wounds (Threat-ish)
    - Glyph of Blocking
    - Glyph of Devastate
    - Glyph of Revenge (this feels outdated)

Spec 2: Survival
    - Glyph of Blocking
    - Glyph of Shield Wall
    - Glyph of Taunt

I used to run Glyph of Last Stand in place of Glyph of Taunt. I can't say that I've really noticed the impact of 3 minute Last Stand as opposed to 2 minute Last Stand, but come Icecrown, I'll certainly be monitoring this.

Now if I was only running 1 tanking spec and I had to take Glyph of Taunt, I'd probably run Spec 2's setup exactly. Is this what everyone else is doing?

What is your solution to Taunt misses?

I carry around stacks of glyphs that I use and swap them out per fight. If I need to not miss a taunt like alg, anub add tanking, or gormok, then I glyph it, otherwise I put in a more useful glyph.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

I have a few on me and swap it in for taunt-sensitive fights. It's incredibly useful, but situational, I find.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    I carry around stacks of glyphs that I use and swap them out per fight.
    What glyph are you swapping out for it?

When I still played my warrior I ran last stand shield wall and taunt with one spec and devastate revenge and heroic strike in the other (I think heroic strike I honestly do not remember but it was not taunt that I remember for sure)

For reference I quit playing him about 2 weeks after anub was finally unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by veneretio View Post
    I know you were asking him, but since I answered similarly, I swap out Glyph of Devastate on taunt-sensitive fights.

It depends on the fight, I carry around the following:

Taunt
    Cleave
    Devastate
    Blocking
    Last Stand
    Shield Wall

Usually I run blocking/last stand/shield wall, and if I switch a glyph for taunt it will usually be blocking. For anub I run cleave/blocking/taunt. I'll mix and max as is required for the optimal fight. I should probably get someone to make me some vigilance glyphs just incase for upcoming content.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.

BLOCKING! that's what my third one was.

I came to the same conclusion about the taunt glyph a while ago. Due to our lack of hit on current content gear, it's about the only insurance to land a taunt when you cannot afford a miss. NRB 25 Heroic immediately comes to mind.

Currently I run:

Taunt
    Vigilance
    Blocking

Encounters where Taunt is not critical, I switch that one to Enrage Regeneration. Some might ask why, so here's my reasoning:

I macro Satrina's, Last Stand, and Enrage Regeneration together to fire at the same time and in that order. They are all on a 3 min CD and in that proper order allow me to get the maximum HP and Heal from the effects. Adding an additional 10% to that seems worthy of a major glyphs slot.

I'm not impressed with the Last Stand glyph because it throws the synergy of those 3 min CD's out of whack and as Vene said I don't notice the difference anyway from when I did use it.

Also not a fan of a 40% shield wall. I would rather have the full 60%. (I know I need to remove the 2 talent points since I don't have the glyph currently).

I'm testing Vigilance in my main set up right now. Not 100% if it will stay, seems to give me a jump at the start of encounter (we have some sick DPS) and allows one of our top dps (fight depending) to open up strong.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    I came to the same conclusion about the taunt glyph a while ago. Due to our lack of hit on current content gear, it's about the only insurance to land a taunt when you cannot afford a miss. NRB 25 Heroic immediately comes to mind.

Currently I run:

Taunt
    Vigilance
    Blocking

Encounters where Taunt is not critical, I switch that one to Enrage Regeneration. Some might ask why, so here's my reasoning:

I macro Satrina's, Last Stand, and Enrage Regeneration together to fire at the same time and in that order. They are all on a 3 min CD and in that proper order allow me to get the maximum HP and Heal from the effects. Adding an additional 10% to that seems worthy of a major glyphs slot.

I'm not impressed with the Last Stand glyph because it throws the synergy of those 3 min CD's out of whack and as Vene said I don't notice the difference anyway from when I did use it.

Also not a fan of a 40% shield wall. I would rather have the full 60%. (I know I need to remove the 2 talent points since I don't have the glyph currently).

I'm testing Vigilance in my main set up right now. Not 100% if it will stay, seems to give me a jump at the start of encounter (we have some sick DPS) and allows one of our top dps (fight depending) to open up strong.
    I guess you could do that, I personally like to separate the cooldowns to use them for different circumstances, a lot of times poping LS + trinket + enraged regen is just overkill and instead you can use them all for seperate instances.

i almost always just run shield wall, last stand, devastate, but on nrb if i'm feeling unlucky i go with taunt, but 3 insanity runs in 10 man and never once missed a taunt, pretty lucky i suppose.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I use Glyph of Taunt on fights where there's both, a lot of damage incoming to the tanks and forced tank switches. Basically that's Gormok and Algalon atm. I just don't want to announce a tank switch for our healers that doesn't happen the second I say "now". And I simply don't like to rely on mocking blow for missed taunts.

Normal Glyphs are Blocking, Shield Wall and Devastate. I change Devastate for Taunt then.

In my normal tanking build I use Glyph of Last Stand and Shield Wall all the time. I normally run glyph of vigilance but I swap in glyph of taunt over that for taunt sensitive fights like ToGC 25 Beasts or Thorim HM.

I've personally had double taunt resists on Gormok/Worms that resulted in wipes so I'll always be using that glyph.

Most of the time I use these Glyphs:

Blocking
    Shieldwall
    Devastate/Taunt

I always carry several Glyphs with me including Taunt, Devaste, Last Stand and Blocking. Last Stand and Shieldwall are only in my bags, I don't use them anymore. I used to play with Last Stand Glyph instead of Devastate when we Vezax was serious content and I needed 2min CDs.
    In general I loved to play with Blocking because of it's 100% uptime, Shieldwall because of the 2min CD (I don't think 2 min LS is needed on any encounter) and I really love Glyph of Devastate.

But then came hardmode encounters. In Ulduar fights like Iron Council, Algalon, Thorim, Yogg +1/+0, (Freya, Mimiron). In ToGC Beasts and Anub as Add-Tank. Well because Glyph of Devastate only helps threat and my lazyness :P I swap Devastate with Taunt.
    At first I changed my Devaste/Taunt Glyphs when I didn't use Taunt because I like to play with Devastate.
    But now I became to lazy to change my Glyphs when I raid ToGC. I play with Glyph of Taunt almoust 100% of the time, because it is needed on several hardmode encounters.

I just swap Devastate with Taunt if I need it.

Friend of mine drops stacks of the things on me if I need them.

..... After all, Taunt has a 17% (446 hit since it's spell hit) chance to miss if you don't run any hit which means with low hit you'll see a Taunt miss on Gormok roughly every other attempt. Not a great way to learn hard modes.....
    I would like to challange that. I've never done proper testing ofc so i may just be the luckiest bastard on the planet but

I run with 8% spellhit and i've yet to miss a taunt.

Hell, i usually forget switching around stuff & run with 7%ish spellhit and i still dont miss taunt.

To make sure in the case of a critical fight like Gormok, i taunt when there's less than 10 sec remaining on my impale. Gormok is pretty accurate in his impales and wont land one before its time. If my taunt misses somehow (happened several times before i hit 8%) i still have enough time to try again.

Here's a sample log: World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

i was running with 5% hit with a shadowpriest in the raid. 10 taunts were successful, 2 were "immune" (those i foolishly cast on faction champions).

We could argue i was damn lucky, but this is the sort of taunt performance i've been living with for the last month or so.

I never run with Glyph of Taunt. On a fight like NRB I vigil the other tank and have no issue if I miss once in a while. Honestly, it's never been a problem. On 5 man content I can also heroic throw, challenging shout, etc if there's an issue. In raids it's never an issue except on fights where putting vigil on my OT is a good idea anyways for survival.

I honestly can't remember the last time I missed a taunt in a raid where I didn't get it back right away from vigil.

Quote Originally Posted by TomHuxley View Post
    In raids it's never an issue except on fights where putting vigil on my OT is a good idea anyways for survival.
    For the record BoSalvation and Vigilance don't stack. Idk if you have a prot pally, but if you do your OT won't gain anything from the 3% reduced damage, all you'll do is decrease his/her TPS.

Amazing. 36 votes. split 12/12/12. Just goes to show how weak Prot glyphs really are compared to other classes. I'm probably the only tank that uses Cleaving, but it's definitely my favorite glyph and makes a tangible difference in AE tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Brawndo View Post
    Amazing. 36 votes. split 12/12/12. Just goes to show how weak Prot glyphs really are compared to other classes. I'm probably the only tank that uses Cleaving, but it's definitely my favorite glyph and makes a tangible difference in AE tanking.
    actually... i would say most DPS classe's glyphs are weak. Prot* has several acceptable** glyph choices that serve different purposes, while almost every dps class/spec has 3 glyphs that they HAVE to use to maximize dps.

*referring to prot warriors, i dont play a feral or prot pally
    **glyph of taunt just happens to not be one.
    Last edited by squats; 12-06-2009 at 06:47 AM.

+ Reply to Thread