+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ony Trinkey vs. Beerfest Trinkey

Ony Trinkey vs. Beerfest Trinkey

Link to my Armory

Purified Onyxia Blood Talisman vs. Bitter Balebrew Charm

I've been using the Ony trinket, based on gear rank scores and whatnot, but just looking at what I'm getting from it, I'm starting to have second thoughts. Basically, with diminishing returns, I get just over 2% pure avoidance and 0.54% SBR. Compared to almost 2khp from the Brewfest Trinket that scales with Kings. is 2% avoidance really worth more than 2khp? I'm also pondering getting the triumph trinket, but only if the dam red. from the armor is enough to make up for the lost stam/pure avoidance.

I'm asking, because we are working on progressing through ToGC, and the spike damage from Gormok is ridiculous. I've made it through, but it's not pretty, so I'm thinking having a larger health pool would probably be more beneficial than the avoidance (though, I don't argue that it is a substantial amount of avoidance).

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

I would go with the Brewfest Trinkets, but keep the Ony trinket for Icecrown incase we see more bosses that favor avoidance as to EH

. I would keep the Brewfest Trinket because if you are progressing through ToGC, the main thing that will really kill a tank is Gormok. Gormok's spike damage will hit massive amounts within a few seconds, in this situation the only thing that can prevent a death is EH. Even with your HP pool you could still be burst down by Gormok's spike.

Even after you reach the "EH minimum" the avoidance will be worth slightly more because you will be preventing the situation will happen it's always good to give your healers some breathing room. About the Glyph of Indom it's definitely worth it, it has the passive survivability around that of the Brewfest Trinket around with the best on use in the game. The only trinket I would use definitely ahead of it is Satrina's with the Heart of Iron being around the same level as it mainly depending on the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by krc View Post
    I would go with the Brewfest Trinkets, but keep the Ony trinket for Icecrown incase we see more bosses that favor avoidance as to EH

. I would keep the Brewfest Trinket because if you are progressing through ToGC, the main thing that will really kill a tank is Gormok. Gormok's spike damage will hit massive amounts within a few seconds, in this situation the only thing that can prevent a death is EH. Even with your HP pool you could still be burst down by Gormok's spike.

Even after you reach the "EH minimum" the avoidance will be worth slightly more because you will be preventing the situation will happen it's always good to give your healers some breathing room.
    Awesome. Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm seeing a lot of people saying the triumph trinket is actually a lot better than a stam trinket for Gormok. Do you believe that this is the case? I don't mind tossing some triumphs at a trinket, even if it's mainly for just one fight (just using them on DPS gear at this point).

Which stamina trinket, the Brewfest one or the Heart of Iron? The triumph trinket is definitely better than the Brewfest one because of the increased value of cooldowns when fighting Gormok makes it almost no contest between the two. For gormok between the triumph one and the Heart of Iron, it's probably dead even the Heart of Iron has slightly higher EH but the Glyph of Indom's on use is better.

Imo, the Onyxia trinket is only worth the itemlevel, if you're gonna brag on Gearrating sites. When they make an item with the item level 245 not better than items of level 200, then I really start to wonder what the Blizzard crew are doing. The trinket is barely useable.

Fervor of the Frostborn and Satrina's Impending Scarab is the best choice imo

Different trinket sets for different fights. There are a lot of fights where you don't quite as much EHP as you do on Icehowl. The Ony trinket is giving you avoidance from the Parry, avoidance from the +Defense in terms of dodge / parry gain, as well as some additional chance to be missed. I toss on my Ony trinket when tanking things that my EHP is not a risk factor for.
    "Sometimes attaining the deepest familiarity with a question is our best substitute for actually having the answer." -- Brian Greene.

Quote Originally Posted by Jompalaya View Post
    Imo, the Onyxia trinket is only worth the itemlevel, if you're gonna brag on Gearrating sites. When they make an item with the item level 245 not better than items of level 200, then I really start to wonder what the Blizzard crew are doing. The trinket is barely useable.

Fervor of the Frostborn and Satrina's Impending Scarab is the best choice imo

Wrong.

Anyone that discounts avoidance is a bad tank, period. As the poster above me states, it all depends on the fight. If your EH is already good enough for a particular fight without a trinket that increases it, the points in avoidance can really become useful in reducing how much you have to be healed (which is better for everyone). In addition, some upcoming fights in ICC look to be avoidance fights, where every hit taken is going to be fairly nasty and you need to not be hit by most of them.

Fervor of the Frostborn is an okay trinket, but I don't like that it's most useful aspect is something that has to be manually procced and only happens at most every two minutes (though you're likely saving it for just before a round of spike damage or for when tanking some adds). Satrina's Impending Scarab is the best because of how valuable Health is right now, but it doesn't always make it the trinket to go to in every situation.

Go with EH for current content. Future content could be more avoidance based. Don't throw out old gear! Anub Unhittable set is a tribute to that

Also Lulia is absolutely correct. You should min max for the fight, tanking is not a blanket statement job.

I still use The Black Heart over my Heroic Eitrigg's or Brewfest because it has good stamina and an amazing proc. Situationally I switch gear all the time.
    Last edited by Raij; 12-03-2009 at 08:49 AM.

For most current content I do up the EH. In general, having a good healthpool or effective healthpool (armor, resistance) is definitely a solid way to go. I don't want to discount that, but it's not all that's important and it's why I keep my trinkets.

Thanks for the advice. I picked up the Glyph, and now it's time to take on Gormok once again!

I should read the original questions, but people that make blanket statements upset me.

Yes, for Gormok, EH is much better. The easiest way to achieve this is generally just increasing your health pool rather than playing around with procs on trinkets because the damage from Gormok is pretty intense the entire fight.

As a tank with those 3 trinkets available (and in his bank), I'ld say Glyph > BRD > Ony, but swap to Ony for less "progression" type of environment (for me; ToC10 normal or anything not Ulduar25 HM)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Since we're on the discussion of trinkets I currently am using The Black Heart and Satrina's Impending Scarab. I was wondering would it better to use the triumph trinket and satrinas? or what i have right now. Our guild is currently working on ToGc 25 and we're having a hard time getting past the beasts. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sillypuddy View Post
    Since we're on the discussion of trinkets I currently am using The Black Heart and Satrina's Impending Scarab. I was wondering would it better to use the triumph trinket and satrinas? or what i have right now. Our guild is currently working on ToGc 25 and we're having a hard time getting past the beasts. thanks!
    For beasts, I think I would use glyph of indom and sat's. For magic heavy fights I would use brewfest/black heart and sat's.

why blackheart for magic?

Well I guess you could use your Black Heart for magic depending on how high a percentage of what is killing you is magic. For 30-40% magic in the time frame where you are killed the Black Heart's proc may make up for it even though it is lacking the stamina the Brewfest Trinket has. I would check out N-EH on mainkandin, so you can determine how much magic damage has there have to be for the Brewfest Trinket to be more valuable than the Black Heart.

so glyph of indom only for beasts?

Gormok's damage mostly ignores avoidance. This makes avoidance trinkets near-useless for Gormok. Most of it can be mitigated by armor, so the glyph is handy here.

Quote Originally Posted by sillypuddy View Post
    so glyph of indom only for beasts?
    Not necessarily only for Gormok, it just works very well with Gormok. It's useful for any boss where what kills you is mostly mitigable damage, and places where the is predictable burst. Gormok fits both criterias making it very for him.

+ Reply to Thread