+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drawing and holding a mob

Drawing and holding a mob

Okay, I recently hit 80, def capped, and have all tank gear. Not all the greatest, but pretty good. I have done Heroic VH several times and can almost always hold the mob to me. Any tips to keep mobs to me more often? And please, answer this - when I have a mob of 3 or more on me, should I focus all attacks on 1, or tab through all of them? Yeah, I use Thunderclap and Shockwave, as they hit multiple targets, but want to know if it's better to spread my aggro around.

My current priority is devastate, revenge, shield slam and thunderclap. Heroic Throw, shockwave and concussion blow when possible.

Thanks a ton!

Quote Originally Posted by jh7468 View Post
    Okay, I recently hit 80, def capped, and have all tank gear. Not all the greatest, but pretty good. I have done Heroic VH several times and can almost always hold the mob to me. Any tips to keep mobs to me more often? And please, answer this - when I have a mob of 3 or more on me, should I focus all attacks on 1, or tab through all of them? Yeah, I use Thunderclap and Shockwave, as they hit multiple targets, but want to know if it's better to spread my aggro around.

My current priority is devastate, revenge, shield slam and thunderclap. Heroic Throw, shockwave and concussion blow when possible.

Thanks a ton!
    Armory Link Please.

Also, in addition to proper TC and Shockwave, substitute cleave for Heroic Strike. Do tab target through mobs, especially if you have 3 or more. Even if you upgrade to a 3 target cleave, you won't hit the 4 packs as hard if you don't tab target.

Your priority should be devastate, shield slam, heroic strike, thunder clap, shockwave, etc.

Devastate/shield slam are probably the most important as shield slam does the most threat and devastate proc's shield slam as well as generating substantial threat. Essentially with H VH I will usually thunderclap, shockwave the group then tab sunder every target and then focus on one so the dps can unleash on that target. Before that target is dead I will have already switched to the next target so dps doesn't have to slow down. You really need to "spread the love" when having to AoE tank with no marks.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Insahnity View Post
    Armory Link Please.
    Not necessary. "I recently hit 80" should tell you all you need to know.

OP:

The problem with being new to 80 is that you have all these moderately geared DPS spamming AoE spells to drop trash quickly. Once you charge in you will want to immediately Thunderclap. Once that is done, Shield Slam something, then Shockwave. Sunder your target one or two times, then tab to the next target and repeat the same.

If your goal is to do Heroics for a while until you're comfortable with your gear to raid, then what I suggest is to make sure you have 3/3 Thunderclap, Shockwave, and the Glyphs for both of them. Also keep in mind if you have extra rage (you will), feel free to Cleave at will. You can contemplate picking up the talent for it (Fury tree) and the Glyph as well. This will help your AoE threat as you're trying to keep things on you en masse, rather than simply boss tanking - which is a different set of priorities.

Regards,
    -Varagar

Quote Originally Posted by Varagar View Post
    Not necessary. "I recently hit 80" should tell you all you need to know.
    Wow, I'm impressed by your psychic skills that you can tell gear levels without an armoury. "Recently" could mean "a month ago" to "an hour ago", and there's a world of a difference in gearing between the two. I wouldn't presume so much.

I'll still look for an armory. With enough badge gear and sufficient communication with DPS, you can rule out gear. He specifically asked for rotation advice on 3 or more mobs, and I gave him rotation advice on 3 or mobs, but it is pointless if s/he isn't geared, and insulting to assume they are undergeared when they are not.

Here is my Armory link -

The World of Warcraft Armory

I never use heroic strike, but I also only focus on one target. I will now use cleave when I am not slamming and devastate is stacked.

Thanks for letting me know to "spread the love"! I'm gonna start cleaving and tabbing more. I have tanked Heroic VH, UK and Nexus. Not the toughest, but you have to start somewhere.

Well, what a difference some better gear (and good advice) make. I am still def capped but now have about 25k health unbuffed. I am now glyphed with devastate (x2) and shockwave, and I am 3/3 in TC. Usually I charge in on the main and TC, devastate or shield slam and then shockwave. I spread the devastate around, and the x2 helps. VH, DTK, HoS and Nex are easy, and I almost never lose aggro in any of those runs.

That is good news and you are now on your way. After you get the threat thing to be second nature it is time to work on survivability, but lets save that until you are good on threat without having to think about it!
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

+ Reply to Thread