+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upgrades leaving me low in Crit'n'Hit

Upgrades leaving me low in Crit'n'Hit

Hi guys,

I wasn't sure whether to post here or "HALP! I need advice" but here goes none-the-less...

Firstly, here's a link to my armory: DarkKMan

I have recently made the endeavor to get myself better geared to start tanking HCs. You can read on almost any forum that the stat to look for is a DefenseCap of 535. Done - with a little gemming into Defense! However this was at the cost of mostly Stamina. So I gemmed to get Stamina up again. Ran Violet Hold HC and wasn't much of a problem (so I thought) but in retrospect propably happened to land a decent geared PuG.

My next stop (Daily HC) was Halls of Lightning which was a big fail. To be honest the 1st boss was aggro'd by someone else so it was a struggle to get the aggro back as quick as possible but I got asked to leave as I didn't have enough aggro. I admit this may have been playing skill but I think I did everything I could... I died so group wiped - but that's a different story... So I looked about how to get my threat up now that I'm crit immune for HCs... And that opened up this can of worms regarding Crit'n'Hit...! Well, expertise I guess... Just the title read better as Crit'n'Hit than Expertise'n'Hit

So my question is how do I go about getting my Hit and Expertise up without too much impact on my DefCap and Stamina? Should I not worry about Stamina until I get Hit and Expertise capped 1st? If thats the case surely I'm gonna make things tough on myself and my group trying to HC. As I can generally keep aggro using my abilities (to a degree)...

Admitedly I have seen I do have a couple of clangers in there e.g. my Icebance Girdle which I am using till I can get an upgrade from ToTC currently has a +16 strength gem (although maybe thats a good thing - who knows)...

Anyway, if someone can hand me some advise I would be most appreciative...

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by DarkKman; 11-24-2009 at 04:39 AM.

Armory Lookups, most likely should be in HALP !! Forums, Kaze will move it if needed.

I would not worry much about hit as a tank and totally not about crit. In most cases if a tank is loosing aggro its either the dps being way way over geared than the tank (and trigger happy) or tank not using the proper priorities for threat generation. This thread may help http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/4...-rotation.html

Hmm tons and tons of upgrades/improvments etc etc possible. Rather than listing them all I will just link you a post which is stickied on the top of forums where you posted

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/4...ear-guide.html

Get the right enchants (like dps enhcant on helm o_O) you will have no issues with keeping defense at 540 and than gem for stamina wherever you can. You might be able to fit in the 32 stamina meta gem
    Last edited by gabbu; 11-24-2009 at 05:26 AM.

Get the trinket from regular Halls of Lightning. 64 defense rating is amazingly good to get started tanking.

Armory Links, are almost 100% safest in the HALP forum, unless it's a specific rotation/piece comparison, you'll want it there.

Moved.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Alright, so I'll just go through gear that I see as needing a replacement, and hopefully make a good suggestion for you.

Weighted Throwing Axe - ditch it. Go for either the triumph badge Blades of the Sable Cross, or the Epic Craftable Armor Plated Combat Shotgun.

Medallion of Heroism - Not even close to a tank trinket. Get rid of it. Essence of the Gossamer should be relatively easy to get out of H AN or the Seal of the Pantheon from reg HoL.

Titanium Frostguard Ring - Pretty much useless. You need a defense ring. Run heroic UK for the Unsmashable Heavy Band, then try to get into OS 10 for the tank ring that drops out of there.

Icebane Treads - Again, this is not tanking gear. You don't have to vendor your frost-resist gear (you'll need it in Ulduar), but get an upgrade/side-grade. For this I would try to get either the Valor emblem boots, Spiked Death Dealers, or farm Toc 5/H Toc 5 (I can't remember which) for the tank boots.

Legguards of the Abandoned fealty - Good enough until you upgrade to emblem pants.

Icebane Girdle - get the emblem one or the drop that you want from ToC 5 (it drops in Heroic doesn't it?).

Daunting Handguards - Either Gauntlets of the Royal Watch (conquest emblem) or Flamebane Handguards (Kirin Tor Rep).

Bracers - Tough to get actually. I'd recommend trying to get the bracers of Dalaran's Parapets (Valor Emblem) or venture into Naxx 10 for the Minion Bracers.

Brestplate of the Solemn council - Good enough until you can get your emblem of Conquest chest or a drop from ToC 5/5H.

Cloak - Either get the Valor (Titanweave cloak?) cloak, or try for the drops in Naxx 10, Nexus Heroic, UK Heroic. (Or save your gold for the Cloak of the Iron Council which is a BoE Ulduar 10 drop.)

Saronite Shoulders - Get the ones out of H ToC 5 man.

Burning Skull Pendant - Get the Conquest emblem one.

Tempered Titansteel helm - Get the drop from ToC 5/5H(?) and then save conquest emblems for the tier helm to get the 2 piece bonus for your set.

Replace titanium plating with a titanium shield spike for your threat.

Get rid of your last stand glyph and get the devastate glyph.

Devastate is a high aggro attack, basically, you should tab-devastate as much as possible to hold threat on multiple mobs.

After you have gotten all of these upgrades through heroic farming, you should have run the daily enough to get your T9 shoulders. A few quick points - Get you Hodir rep up, Get your Argent Crusade Rep up. You need those enchants. Only use epic gems. Only use good enchants. Read a whole lot about gear on tankspot.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Wow... Thanks again guys for your tips. Its nice to have an actual piece and location to target for - incredibly helpful and see now that the HALP! forum would have been the place for this thread so my apologies. Please, any Mod, feel free to move this.

I think I am missing some considerable amount of hit rating ( I think my expertise is "Tank" acceptable ) which, if I get balance right, will help my threat overall so once I get a couple of the items above that is what I will start doing (as long as I don't become 'crit'able).

Thanks again... Gonna have a search for a kind of Stat Priority list. I'm guessing its DefCap (I know some people don't like that term but I mean uncrittable) -> Expertise -> Hit -> Stamina, or something along those lines....

Thanks again for the item tips/suggestions - I am sure I will soon make my guild very happy

As I said earlier and I will say it again hit is not that important as expertise and I would not sweat about it.

Here's why: Expertise is always better than Hit - Warriors - TankingTips.com

I would go defense to uncrittable - expertise - stam (let hit come with gear). Also you do have rep for the Argent Crusade head enchant, because its at revered and not exalted, that the first this I will get.

I'm going to guess rotation is probably something you need to work on. Also, marking targets helped me a lot when I was first learning to tank. Bind the marks to keys (I used the numberpad) so that they can be applied quickly.
    Also, the "wheel o' threat" is your friend. I, and I think quite a number of other warrior tanks bind Heroic Strike to the mouse wheel. As long as you're decently speced, rage shouldn't be an issue, and you can almost continually spam HS. To quote Vene over on TankingTips.com "Spin to win!"

Thanks again. I have managed to get myself the ToTC Girdle of the Pallid Knight which made a huge difference in allowing me to gem for a bit of expertise (using Eternal Belt Buckle) and will follow your advise and leave the hit to come with gear. Already keeping a happpier group of dps and healer...

Next on the agenda is HoL and UK HC for the Trinket and Ring, respectively. I could still do with the boots and gloves from ToTC too - am getting an easy run through ToTC atm giving me tanking practice (especially when a dps "accidentally" pullled ALL the Healers, Monks etc - which was fun) so figure I'll go for these before running some more HC's for Emblems.

Ironically I recently replaced my Titanium Shield Spike with the Plating as just assumed that would be better for tanking - oh well... A simple task there

I'm pretty sure I need work on my rotation - implementing quicker I think but one last thing... Binding Marking Targets to Numeric Keypad seems like a great idea - but will this not overwrite the binding for the numbers above 'qwerty' or is the numeric keypad seen as different numbers... I guess could always use 8,9,0 anyway as not assigned to anything atm...

Thanks again all... This place is awesome!

+ Reply to Thread