+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ICC 10 Man Gemming, Gearing, Progression

ICC 10 Man Gemming, Gearing, Progression

I have been tanking since wrath came out and have become a fairly geared tank. I have joined a new guild recently and have been rejected from guild ICC 10 runs with the reasoning that I should be stacking more avoidance rather than stamina. I have been told that I should also build a pure avoidance set and use that instead of EH for ICC.

The main confusion that I am under is what I should be gemming and gearing in my hunt to kill arthas. I understand the value of an avoidance set for trash packs, but don't see the value of using it full time. I hold true to the power of stacking stamina with regards to useful socket bonuses like I did in ToC, but I still don't see the benefit even with the reduced dodge of the raid instance.

Not only that but most of the best tanks I see on my realm gear the same way I do. It seems that Heroic ICC, like ToGC, tanks will need more avoidance to be able to progress through the more damanding encounters. The thing that mainly bugs me is the kind of gear that my GM is aiming for me to have. He says that I should use dodge and armor trinkets such as Fervor of the Frostborn and the Glyph of Indominability. With both of those equipped it adds a measely 2% dodge, a 2% damage reduction, and 4% dodge on use.

I think the main misunderstanding we have is that the two tanks that are currently running through ICC are pallies. With the extra 30% block from their shields, they beleieve that my avoidance is bad. Currently I am sitting at around 26% dodge, 21% parry, and 15% block. That translates to roughly 42% avoidance in ICC. For my gear, and the limited amount of good gear blizzard offers in ToC, it is hard for any tank to gear for avoidance where the gear itself gives little, and EH stacking is required for mere survival.

Basically I want a smart opinion from someone who has a lot of experience from the PTR's and speculation for further fights. I want to know if stacking more avoidance is absolutely needed, based on personal preference, or if it is bad. I also wish to see or be directed to a site that has maybe run some numbers on this to get some proof. I have done some myself and EH always seems more logical.

Here is my WoW Armory
    The World of Warcraft Armory

I may not have any PTR experience but the choice is simple. We all know that Wrath fights are all about big damage. So you have to ask yourself to you want something on chance or that will be there no matter what. If gemmed complete avoidence on your ToC gear and enter a cold streak on dodge/parry you better have one good healer backing you as your health percentage will drop hard.

Now it seems to me you can either try to explain but it seems hes a stubborn individual if you came here. I can only say that you either do as he tells you or he'll bench you like he has. Some GMs get a god complex of i know a special secret and if you dont play ball ill bench you no matter how good you are. Really it depends if you like where they are in progression and if you are comfortable of finding a guild at the same level of progression.

He's wrong. But at the end of the day, if he's the one inviting... difficult situation!
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

join a new guild. this is my armory and i have never gone below 30 % using this gear with the two brewfest trinks. i only equip my armour trink (glyph of indomality or w.e) during the lord marrowgar fight.

For Lady deathwisper two +170 stam and then all the other fights like gunship i haev two avoidance trinks because nothing hits hard. (ony one and glyph).

For saurfang i equip the two +170 because he generally hits pretty hard.

My armory is in glyph and i have succesfully tanked the new ICC 10 in that gear. hope it helps.

BTW if ure guild leader is so stubborn imo /gquit

Quote Originally Posted by campeon625 View Post
    join a new guild. this is my armory and i have never gone below 30 % using this gear with the two brewfest trinks. i only equip my armour trink (glyph of indomality or w.e) during the lord marrowgar fight.

For Lady deathwisper two +170 stam and then all the other fights like gunship i haev two avoidance trinks because nothing hits hard. (ony one and glyph).

For saurfang i equip the two +170 because he generally hits pretty hard.

My armory is in glyph and i have succesfully tanked the new ICC 10 in that gear. hope it helps.

BTW if ure guild leader is so stubborn imo /gquit
    ^ What he said. Your guild leader is wrong, there are some fights that may favor avoidance, and you might want some avoidance gear for that, but... like... wtF a pure avoidance set? Ya... if he's gonna be that stubborn, then /gquit. Your talents would be required elsewhere.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Tell him to come read this site. He's wrong. He's been wrong since Everquest...1999. lol EH > Avoidance. Always has been. Nobody wants to have success teater on the RNG.

Saurfang, being an all physical damage fight, benefits more from Glyph than the brewfest trinks, btw. Hell Glyph and Black Heart are better than brewfest. I use Glyph on just about everything (cause I hate switching stuff out lol). I'll bench it once I get the +228 stam frost trink.

If he won't listen, join some other guild. Either way you'll probably see more raid time.

Also: Glyph reduces damage intake, and the less damage dealt to you (be it mitigation or avoidance) the easier it is to heal marks. We did a saurfang last night where we got 4 marks (25 man) and below 30% we had a cooldown running on the tanks at all time, and the marks were easy as hell to keep up. The less damage you take, the less damage the marks take, at least as far as I can tell that's how it works. Therefore armor is very very good for that fight, not for your sake, but for the raid's sake.

If anyone can confirm or deny this with other results, I'd be more than interested.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    If anyone can confirm or deny this with other results, I'd be more than interested.
    Same here. I left it out of our strat because I didn't find any conclusive evidence.

It seemed conclusive to me, but we apparently didn't take a WoL report for the run I was in, and it doesn't look like the other two tanks used cooldowns in the other group.

+ Reply to Thread