+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: PowerAuras Tutorial

So I mostly use SBF to manage my buffs/debuffs/procs/etc. but I was so impressed by this guide, that I decided to install PA and see if I couldn't find a way to use it. So far I'm using it to warn me when I'm low on hp, but haven't found anything else to use it for that I don't prefer SBF to do for me, until last night.

I'm trying to setup PA to warn me when Essence of the Blood Queen is nearing expiration. I get how to add a timer, but I'd much rather have the aura only show up at say 10 or 15 seconds left, rather than stay up on my screen the whole time.

Some folks in my guild have been having trouble keeping track of how long until they need to get ready to bite someone, and so I put a big SBF window in the middle of my screen to show Essence of the Blood Queen for my focus, and just /focus the first player that gets bitten. It works flawlessly, but it is a little obtrusive, and I'm hoping for a way to use PA to do this for me. I would much rather have the aura only show up at a certain point, as stated, rather than stay up the entire duration.

You should be using it combined with heatsink to manage your procs and cooldown timers as well as your buffs from raid members (like shields, etc). It will help you manage your CD's better and you won't have to constantly be watching SBF for what you need to pop when.

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

Not a fan of Heatsink or similar style addons. I've always preferred more visual representation, if that makes any sense. For instance, I'm using SBF with a single buff specifically set to only show Essence of the Blood Queen. I like the way Power Auras works, but again, trying to figure out if you can get it to only show at a certain point in the timer. I see you can do that with stacks, but haven't figured it yet for timers.

On the timer tab theres a bar at the bottom which says "invert aura when time below:0", im guessing if you change that then u can make it appear/disappear at certain times. i've not actually tested that coz i dont really need it but i think its what ur after so just mess about with it and i think it should work.

I have power auras configured to show when scorch wears off. Unfortunately it shows I need to constantly refresh it if there is a warlock in the group. Is there a way to configure it to only show scorch when there is no warlock buff or do you need to just turn that one off if there is a warlock in the raid/group?

type into the box:
    Improved Scorch/Improved ShadowBolt

You might wanna check the debuffs names though coz im not 100% positive about them.

ok my add kicked in after her pst im looking for a way to track debuffs on my target Rupture specifically. any ideas how ??

@immortaltank

You will obviously have to configure your texture, but copying those settings *should* work. Also i dont know what the debuff is called that is applied by rupture, so you may need to find that out and replace where i put rupture with the debuff name.

hey im trying to get power auras to put a 5 second countdown every time revenge procs. i already got the revenge picture to come up, but when the timer comes up with it, it doesn't refresh, after 5 seconds the timer is gone until i use revenge and it comes off cooldown. all i want is the timer to show the time (with the ability to be refreshed) of the revenge proc window.

Quote Originally Posted by Gronrust View Post
    hey im trying to get power auras to put a 5 second countdown every time revenge procs. i already got the revenge picture to come up, but when the timer comes up with it, it doesn't refresh, after 5 seconds the timer is gone until i use revenge and it comes off cooldown. all i want is the timer to show the time (with the ability to be refreshed) of the revenge proc window.
    You can select 'Show time since activation,' which counts up rather than down, so it's not perfect but might still be useful (a single revenge proc seems to last 6-7 seconds from some quick testing I did)? There is an option 'Animate upon refresh' too, but I couldn't get this to start the clock again, sorry. But this might be better than nothing.

Auben, you said it's possible to track debufs on your target. How do I do that, I'd like to have something come up when I have 3 stacks of lacerate on my target.

Quote Originally Posted by Auben View Post
    You can select 'Show time since activation,' which counts up rather than down, so it's not perfect but might still be useful (a single revenge proc seems to last 6-7 seconds from some quick testing I did)? There is an option 'Animate upon refresh' too, but I couldn't get this to start the clock again, sorry. But this might be better than nothing.
    Is the 5-second revenge window tracked as a buff? If so, then simply monitoring the buff duration instead of the ability itself would fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by thebda View Post
    Auben, you said it's possible to track debufs on your target. How do I do that, I'd like to have something come up when I have 3 stacks of lacerate on my target.
    Davih has a related example a few posts up on this page, the image is at http://img828.imageshack.us/i/powaaurasrupture.jpg/ in case it isn't displaying properly here.

In the Activation by: menu you choose Debuff. To the right of this menu you can set the stacks required to activate the aura (in your case '=3'). You replace 'Rupture' in the image with 'Lacerate.'
    You'd also want to select the options 'Cast by me' and 'Enemy target.'

If that's not clear let me know and I'll post an image of my attempt at it.

For some reason when my heals come off CD they dont appear. I copied the exact thing Aliena did and it still doesnt show it, help?

Quote Originally Posted by Tankathon View Post
    For some reason when my heals come off CD they dont appear. I copied the exact thing Aliena did and it still doesnt show it, help?
    Are your heals on an action bar somewhere (even if it's hidden)? That seems to be important in getting it working correctly.

thx for the guide, tbh I'm one of those people that doesn't like going out of there comfort zone and hates taking time configuring a new addon when the old one discontinues . with Satrina's stopping i stumbled upon your guide... 2 hours later satrina's was replaced for my 3 toons ( hunter , lock and pala tank )

Thx alot !

Side note : thx to the modular approach of this addon Ive been experimenting with buffs / debuffs / ect .. and im loving it more every minute ...

Every time i wanna make a new position for one of my action usables and i enter /powa the ikon disappears? so it is like i have to guess where i want it to be and then close /powa and see if i got it right. anyone who knows if i can have it open and at the same time see the ikons?

Quote Originally Posted by Lund View Post
    Every time i wanna make a new position for one of my action usables and i enter /powa the ikon disappears? so it is like i have to guess where i want it to be and then close /powa and see if i got it right. anyone who knows if i can have it open and at the same time see the ikons?
    Been a while since I've used Power Auras but I believe if you highlight your aura in the list and click test (or double click it) it should show up.

I love the way you have your PA set up in the recent TankSpot vids. I am having a hard time getting my Power Word stuff to work correctly and such.. Halp!

Quote Originally Posted by killashandra View Post
    I love the way you have your PA set up in the recent TankSpot vids. I am having a hard time getting my Power Word stuff to work correctly and such.. Halp!
    That's unhelpfully vague. Please read through the thread thoroughly and, if you're still having trouble, post a more detailed description on what you want and what is and isn't working.

Alternatively, you could simply download Aliena's UI (it's on Wowinterface if I remember correctly) and copy over the Power Auras settings.

+ Reply to Thread