+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: PowerAuras Tutorial

PowerAuras Tutorial

Before I whisk you away to the grand world of Power Auras, let me give you a little description straight from the Curse Add-On Page (Power Auras Classic - Addons - Curse).

This addon was created to provide visual cues (auras) when you gain buffs, debuffs and many more. Very useful for shorts buffs or debuffs, it allows you to draw in the center of the screen, or around your character, very customizable visual effects, rather than having to look at or mouseover buff/debuff icons/actionbars.
    Initially created to give visual cues for short duration procs like "clear casting" or some boost trinket you activate, many more aura triggers have been added since.
    It now works with debuffs (whatever their name), debuff types (like Magic or Curse), combo points, harmful area spells, weapon enchants, Health, Mana, Rage or Energy thresholds, action cooldowns, aggro, pvp status and stance or shapeshift form.

Essentially, PowerAuras is a way to keep track of particular buffs or debuffs or events you may otherwise have a hard time seeing or realizing they're going on. With PA; any buff, debuff, proc, missing buff, health or mana threshold, AoE you're standing in, cooldown, combo points, rage/energy/runic power, aggro or spell being cast on you can be tracked and made visible anywhere on your screen through an icon that you pick and customize. Neat huh? Now if you're sufficiently intrigued, I'll walk you through some of the basic setups of PowerAuras based on my priest's settings.

To start out and open the PA configuration window, type /powa, then click on "New".

A new window will pop up that might seem a little overwhelming at first. Now, everything depends on what kind of effect you want to set up. Let's start with setting up a proc. This is useful for trinket procs, spell procs such as clearcasting, surge of light, weapon procs and anything similar you wish to track. Any proc you get will show up as a buff, so shift your view about halfway down the new window and enter "Buff" as "Activation by".

If this proc/buff you're trying to track is a stackable buff, you may want to choose to add the minimum amount of stacks you want to have before you get the notification. IE, I have a notification that tells me when I have three stacks of serendipity up so I know at a glance when my PoH is going to be fast, and for that I enter "=3" in the stacks field. If I wanted it to show up at 2 stacks already, I would enter ">1". If your buff or proc isn't stackable, just leave the field blank.

In the field with the three question marks, enter the name of your buff. For example, "Surge of Light". If it's a trinket proc, make sure you know the name of the buff the trinket proc triggers.

If you want to track when a buff falls off - for instance, if you have a self-buff like Fel Armor or Inner Fire that you tend to forget to re-cast and you want to receive a visible notification for when it falls off, make sure to check "Show when not active". You can also choose to have the notification only pop up when in combat or in a raid.

Now we have the basic settings, it's time to adjust the look of our buff. You can of course add your own textures to PowerAuras, but when you're just starting out, it may be best to stick to the WoW textures of even just the buff/debuff graphic in question.

Make sure to keep "Glow" checked - else it's gonna be pretty ugly - and to have a bigger window of options, also check "WoW Textures".

Pick one you like with the slider, adjust its opacity, symmetry and deformation to suit your needs and pick a color you like by clicking on the little swatch below the texture preview. When you have all that set, you can adjust size and position with the sliders right below. To get a preview of your buff, click on "Test" in the main PA window.

To add a visible timer to your buff/proc to see how much time you have left before it runs out, click on the "Timer" tab, check "Show" and adjust its size and position. Just like that you can also choose to add a sound effect or to make the effect an animation by using the other two tabs. This is something you really need to play with to adjust it to your liking if you want really fancy effects.

This is what the effect I just added looks like in action:
    Well, not the Val'anyr proc, just the orange bits.

Next, let's set up a debuff.

You go through the same process of picking a suitable effect/animation for your purpose, set its name, and the only difference there is is in the "activation by" field. Depending on what it is (either a debuff on you, like Mortal Strike or an AoE debuff like Rain of Fire) you pick "Debuff" or "AoE Debuff". If you want to get alerted whenever you have a certain type of debuff on you (Magic, Disease, Curse or Poison), select "Debuff Type" and enter the type in the name field afterward. Here's an example:

If you have a spell or ability with a cooldown you wish to track whenever it's available, select "Action useable". Here some examples in action:

And to finish, some of my custom buff/debuff examples. What you find useful greatly varies by class and role, so get creative!

Last edited by Aliena; 11-21-2009 at 10:59 AM.

as a newbie to power auras.. this really excites me Aliena. than you for making my day

Looks great.

Added to the guide listing

another great guide!!!

STICKY...

Doc

Bah, the priesty stolez my ideaz.

But nice tutorial.

Oh and Warrior people... has anyone tried to setup PowerAuras for Victory Rush? I did but it triggers at completely random times and I dunno why.

And if Aliena hasn't completely sold you on the awesomeness that is Power Auras yet, here is what I did:

http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~bmw69/new-ui-test-botri.mp4

Good guide again, thanks.

One thing I would like to mention is, that if you want to track the cooldown of a skill via the Action Usable setting, the skill has to be somewhere in the action bars.
    It took me a while to realize this, as I'm using OPie for my Warrior Shouts for example and they wouldn't show up (fyi it's a combination of buff missing + action usable).

Nice tutorial... being a priest myself it was quite helpful... Although I was already using it for my buffs... I didnt know that we could do much more than the buffs..

Thanks Aliena

I tank on a Death Knight, a druid, a warrior, and a paladin....and on occasion i am yelled at, but on my shadow priest ><.....that aside, i use this addon and love it. there are some limitations for me however. I am colorblind, so it does not show up as well for debuffs, so i have to rely on shapes to know what debuff i have (so i can ask for a class to remove it, ie, paladin cleanse, druid curse, etc). Not to mention, most tanks should play zoomed waaaaaaaaaaaay out (good so i dont have to look at a huge bear butt) so my aura shows right dead center in my screen. This addon has been approved by Aura of <lionheart> of Lightbringer. 5/5 stars

One other thing. The addon has not been updated on curse for a long time, but there is a patch available at WoWInterface that adds some new features (is dual specing implemented in the original one?) and fixes some bugs too I think.
    I run the patch and it works fine as far as I can tell.

I originally started using power auras after seeing a very cool DK UI that used some creative auras to handle things like a presence indicator. Now I couldn't be without it.

I note from the screenshots that you are using an old verion. There's a newer beta with some additional options (like dual spec support): Power Auras Classic : WoWInterface Downloads : Plug-Ins & Patches

One question: I was trying to setup an aura to show hand of protection, with timer, when cast on me by someone else (for anub hard mode). I'd also quite like one for my current enemy target for pvp. Is it possible to use the same aura for both? I don't want to see the aura for anyone other than me or enemytarget.

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    One question: I was trying to setup an aura to show hand of protection, with timer, when cast on me by someone else (for anub hard mode). I'd also quite like one for my current enemy target for pvp. Is it possible to use the same aura for both? I don't want to see the aura for anyone other than me or enemytarget.
    I believe the simplest way to accomplish that is this: create the aura for when it's cast on you by someone else and set the color, position, all that stuff, get it looking how you want it. Then copy it and change the triggers to make it show on the enemy target. Two auras with the same appearance but different triggers. It may be possible to do it with one aura, but seems not worth the effort if it's not immediately apparent how.

I have a question regarding trinket procs, is it possible to make PA show a image when for example darkmoon card: death procs ?
    Given an infinite universe and infinite time, all things will happen. That means that every event is inevitable, including those that are impossible.

Jep itis, you just have to find out the proc name or id. I'd assume you just have to setup a buff called: Darkmoon Card: Death

Quote Originally Posted by Helgi View Post
    ... has anyone tried to setup PowerAuras for Victory Rush?
    I tried it, and found that it worked for a while and then suddenly stopped working properly. I've run across that before with action usables; sometimes they work as intended and then suddenly stop working properly. As I understand it, it's a bug, but it only seems to bug on specific abilities.
    Last edited by Bashal; 11-24-2009 at 08:01 AM.

active abilities

One thing that I found useful was a small grid of all my abilities with cool downs. While they are usable they sit at 100% opacity and switch to 30% while not. This has allowed me to look at a glance and see what abilities I can throw out at anytime. This is especially useful on abilities you don't stare at constantly waiting for them to be available. As a paladin I use it for hands, aura mastery, engineering haste procs, and long cooldowns like lay-on-hands.

Note: As there is a lack of a profile mode, once you change your spec you will have the "unavailable" (30%) variation constantly appear rather than a blank space. There are some ways around it if you are creative, but in the end it's just a cosmetic inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by WAckoo View Post
    I have a question regarding trinket procs, is it possible to make PA show a image when for example darkmoon card: death procs ?
    As long as you receive a buff, debuff, or there is a definite cooldown timer on it you can create an aura for it. I'm, however, not sure if you can create one for the internal cooldown.

Awesome, I'll add this to the UI Tutorial thread for easy access.... which reminds me I should probably clean out the stickies...

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

nice guide! I been using power auras for long time. I wish there was an easy way to save all settings tho I recently re did my UI and lost all my settings also would be good for sharing!

Just save your WTF folder. All settings are saved in the PowerAuras file in there.

updated Powa @ WoWI

Hi,

i noticed your screenshots show an older version (e.g. Powa hosted on curse).

The major difference is the dual spec support Power Auras Classic : WoWInterface Downloads : Plug-Ins & Patches

+ Reply to Thread