+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Excited about tanking, i thought =(

Excited about tanking, i thought =(

Every wipe is like 1,000,000 voices screaming out at once "you suck" as i sit there staring at my monitor drenched in shame! So i come to your site looking for insite and instruction. Reading through some of the other posts I learned about tab devistate on each mob after charge/tc/postion/sw/cleaves/shouts. Which probably explains why i constantly watched mobs run of to kill my group members upon there first heal or barrage. So for now I'll keep reading, but I wanted to thank all the contributors to this site, post my char link and ask for any feed back on gear set up. (want so very badly to be a good tank!) Thanks again all!
    The World of Warcraft Armory

Your first priority should be to stay over 540 defense after that your first priority should be EH(Armor and Stamina) but with out totally ignoring avoidance and expertise.And after that what every you do stay away from block.Don't worry about your threat stats too much as long as you are keeping a proper rotation you should be fine. For your enchants if you can stay over 540 defense while wearing them you should get

Head: Arcanum of the Stalwart Protector - Item - World of Warcraft
    Shoulders: Greater Inscription of the Gladiator - Item - World of Warcraft The resilience on this will contribute to uncrittable more than the defense from the Hodir chant will.
    Cloak: Enchant Cloak - Mighty Armor - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Chest: Scroll of Enchant Chest - Super Health - Item - World of Warcraft
    Bracers: Enchant Bracers - Major Stamina - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Hands: Glove Reinforcements - Item - World of Warcraft
    Legs: Frosthide Leg Armor - Item - World of Warcraft
    Weapon: Formula: Enchant Weapon - Blood Draining - Item - World of Warcraft or Formula: Enchant Weapon - Mongoose - Item - World of Warcraft a less expensive alternative is 26 Agility.

For gemming just stick with stamina unless the item has a gem socket bonus of more than 9 stamina. But again this is all assuming you stay over 540 defense which should always be your main priority.

For your profession JC, BS, LW,Engineering and Mining are all viable options. Just keep running heroics over time you will get more and more geared through Emblems of Conquest and Crafted gear that you will be able to start a few of the easier raids like Naxx, OS and Ony.

Thanks for the heads up on the shoulder chant, after grinding rep for netherdrake the thought of doing it again for sons of hodir was daunting... if i might ask one other thing, seems like everytime a charge a multi mob group some end up behind me, is that a glitch or am i doing it wrong.. isnt there a penalty of some sort for me getting hit in the back? Thanks in advance for any assistance given.

Quote Originally Posted by krc View Post
    Your first priority should be to stay over 540 defense after that your first priority should be EH(Armor and Stamina) but with out totally ignoring avoidance and expertise.And after that what every you do stay away from block.Don't worry about your threat stats too much as long as you are keeping a proper rotation you should be fine. For your enchants if you can stay over 540 defense while wearing them you should get

Head: Arcanum of the Stalwart Protector - Item - World of Warcraft
    Shoulders: Greater Inscription of the Gladiator - Item - World of Warcraft The resilience on this will contribute to uncrittable more than the defense from the Hodir chant will.
    Cloak: Enchant Cloak - Mighty Armor - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Chest: Scroll of Enchant Chest - Super Health - Item - World of Warcraft
    Bracers: Enchant Bracers - Major Stamina - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Hands: Glove Reinforcements - Item - World of Warcraft
    Legs: Frosthide Leg Armor - Item - World of Warcraft
    Weapon: Formula: Enchant Weapon - Blood Draining - Item - World of Warcraft or Formula: Enchant Weapon - Mongoose - Item - World of Warcraft a less expensive alternative is 26 Agility.

For gemming just stick with stamina unless the item has a gem socket bonus of more than 9 stamina. But again this is all assuming you stay over 540 defense which should always be your main priority.

For your profession JC, BS, LW,Engineering and Mining are all viable options. Just keep running heroics over time you will get more and more geared through Emblems of Conquest and Crafted gear that you will be able to start a few of the easier raids like Naxx, OS and Ony.
    Um, if he's at 540 defense as you said, and as he should be, the resilience will do absolutely nothing for him whatsoever, while the defense from the sons of hodir enchant will give him more avoidance, even past 540.

But the pvp enchant will still be contributing 30 stamina which I would rather have than the Sons of Hodir enchant. And to what you were asking Nikao usually when you charge it you will end up behind the mob you have to adjust your position and yes when a mob is behind you you cannot avoid attacks.

What runs are you trying to tank? I know from personal experience I had a good bit more trouble on certain runs, others went much easier. For me H-UK and H-VH were where I concentrated at first, along with H-CotS. Reg HoL taught me quite a bit too.

Also, are you a clicker, or do you use keybindings? It may not seem like much, but it made a HUGE difference in my play personally. Takes a little getting used to, but very worth it IMO.
    Looks like you could use a little work on the gear, but not terrible. Try and get some of your old BC gear upgraded, and remember, the emblem system is your friend, even if you have to do some runs as a DPSer at times. A notable upgrade I can see is your ranged weapon, get the Armor Plated Combat Shotgun, it's a craftable, and the mats list is fairly big, but it's the best ranged weapon pre-Triumph-Badge gear out there.
    The biggest thing I found is that while there is a certain minimum gear-level (def 535 for heroics, 540 raid-bosses) beyond that, what you need most is experience, and there's only one way to get that.
    Also, you might be able to swap some gems around and get a little more health. You're past where you need to be on Def, and that doesn't hurt, but when first starting out, walking that Def line while trying to stack as much stam as possible seemed to work very well for me.
    From my personal experience, tanking is much more about the player than the gear, and while you can read a great deal of good material here and elsewhere also, nothing is a substitute for the experience of actually doing it. Just keep Taunt in easy reach, and try to generate as much threat as absolutely possible.
    And one last tip. I've found that if you mark the kill order of your mobs it seems to make a big difference as well, as people tend to stay on the proper target a little better.

Amen!

Well its been about 10 days and countless attempts at heroic 5 mans trying to refine the skill of being MT. After reading everything I could, and watching videos till my eyes bled... I would have to say most undoubtedly that wiredude has hit the bullseye with his post. Experience is the most integral part of being a successful MT. It didnt really matter how so and so from this guild handeled this particular boss or this particular raid, what matters most is how will "YOU" handle that particular boss or that particular turn of events. Like on H toc when you have blasted J Evensong with heroic throw and taunted to bring her to you as you charge in on Stouthammer, and before the dust settles from your charge, your healer has been riddled with arrows and is looking at a gray srceen with a winged being standing over him/her!! All i can say is be humble, learn from your mistakes, and thank everyone that has been down that same road, and offers great encouragement and advice.
    Last edited by Nikao; 12-01-2009 at 11:20 AM.

+ Reply to Thread