+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blood Vs Frost for Suvival Tank Question

Blood Vs Frost for Suvival Tank Question

Hi all, now i have been main tanking in blood now for quite some time, and while it took a little getting use to at first i really like it, i know blood is ment to have more suvival and threat than frost, but when i had a mess about with my spec on Rawr a frost spec i came up with had 2500 more suvival points than in blood, and over 6000 extra points with glyph of unbreakable armor using all the same gear.

I've also used other Blood and frost specs on the web and there all pretty much the same.
    Rawr Points:
    Blood - Total:151095, Survival:97450, Mitigration:41426, Threat:12220
    Blood Spec: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Frost - Total:172696, Survival:103873, Mitigation:47018, Threat:21805
    thats with Glyph of unbreakable armor
    Frost Spec:Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft
    Im not sure if Rawr accounts for spells because blood spec has some great survival spells like Improved Rune Tap and Vampiric blood. Just how accurate is Rawr anyway?
    i know a fair bit about DK tanking but not as much as most, but was just wondering if its worth respecing back to Frost?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated, thank you.
    Last edited by Ltseb; 11-20-2009 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltseb View Post
    i know blood is ment to have more suvival and threat than frost,
    I disagree.

Blood is really good survival in some instances, while Frost is better in others. Overall, consider all fights, blood pulls ahead.

Frost can pull some really nasty threat. It's hard to compete with HB and Frost Strikes. Blood does do quite well on single target, considering all fights, frost is probably better on threat.

The difference is not huge to be sure.

Anyways, no need to respec, just dualspec!

not an expert. I only play as a blood tank on my alt, from what I have read frost is great damage mitigation. From personal play, frost does not provide me with enough threat to hold aggro in my raids(uld/toc/togc). As for heroics, frost is great-tons of AoE threat-lack of single target threat. These are just how i see things. I love blood for the healing abilities while tanking. Things like vamp blood and WoTN have really sold me on the blood spec for tanking.

Like I said tho, this is just my experience as a blood spec dk tank. I dont really do heroics anymore, just second groups of raids for my guild and I think my blood spec I would have a hard time holding mobs with in heroics, but im sure ppl who play dk's more can elaborate more on things like that.

I would suggest any thread on this site that "satorri" has made in regards to dk tanking.

as stated above blood=single and frost=aoe but u can use both to ur advantage, its just the way u use ur runes, i currently have frost tank and blood tank/dps spec (duals specced ftw) so if i ever have to tank something single target i can swap, with that being said though, the only time i would use my blood tank spec would be if our healers are sub par as my self healing would help them out.

if there is anything u need to know about frost tanking or blood tanking, please send me an email on this site

+ Reply to Thread