+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Theorycrafting Spreadsheet, needs proofing.

Theorycrafting Spreadsheet, needs proofing.

A while back, I asked for some input about where to look for info on classes other than Paladin as they apply to tanking.

I got flamed some for my ideas, however, I have done some research and learned alot. Accordingly, I created a spreadsheet to help myself and the tanks in my guild.

This spreadsheet is for all 4 tanking classes and looks at all your stats and such to come up with diminishing returns numbers, avoidance, mitigation etc... It takes into account talents and some glyphs/gems.

Please, if you have time, could you all take a look at it and see if it is correct. I have allowed up to a 0.05% margin of error for things like avoidance % after diminishing returns.

Anyway, HERE is the spreadsheet. Thanks again guys.

At the bottom of the sheet is a rough HPS needed calculator... I usually put Patch's Hateful strikes in as a test bed, 81k damage, 1 sec swing timer, 6 min enrage.
    Creosmalkor, Paladin, US-Aegwynn

Do you know what version of Excel this was run on? it'd help so people who don't have the correct version can avoid D/L'ing it. Hopefully someone better at math's then me can come and check this out =]

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

It was made using Office XP so its Excel 2002

seems to work generally with my warri and excel 2007.
    some suggestions:
    - add "rating" to the expertise text. i was a little confused with my 20 expertise (not rating) that i get from items
    - maybe expand the tab with raid buffs? would be really nice to know how the stats scale from unbuffed to raid (even migitation with renewed hope, inspiration, etc.) and with more statistics like EH, TTL and so on
    - ingame BV says 1513, spreadsheet says 1530
    - glyph of blocking does nothing for me
    - disabling critical block sets "blocked damage" to 0

thanks for the feedback, i will try to add in the buffs as i get time, and i will look into the critical block problem

Likewise, I'd find it very useful to have a raid buffs on/off filter. It doesn't really need to be each buff as a flag, a simple "full raid buffs" and "no raid buffs" option would suffice really.

It's a nice tool and relatively intuitive but I honestly wouldn't find the time while raiding to fill it in and putting my unbuffed stats in makes the HPS requirement calculation at the bottom a little redundant simply because it doesn't reflect what would actually be happening in a raid.

I understand that you can't go into the minutiae of every weapon enchant and proc etc and I'd argue that true TTL calculation has to assume the worst-case, which is that Mongoose, Libram of Valiance etc don't proc anyway. In reality, they proc all the damn time but I can factor that into my input stats if I wanted. Because they're chance-based (no matter how high the chance), however, I think it'd be best to leave them out as you have been doing. More static buffs like MOTW, PW:F, Devotion Aura etc could be very useful to have considered though.

For Paladins specifically, would it be possible in the bottom part to calculate the mitigation values of 2/2 Vengeance and 2/2 Judgements of the Just? Boss Attack Power is a static number (it's modified by specials etc) so it should be possible to calculate a reduction for a standard tank and spank with no Thorim-esque gimmicks. Likewise Judgements of the Just simply affects the swing timer that we input anyway (=D52*1.2) so that should give a more accurate representation. I also don't personally take 5/5 Divinity but presumably that's a talent that would affect the HPS required?

So, in short, a few key Paladin talents are missing from the calculation in my opinion and some method being able to input Armory data and get an approximation of raid-ready stats as an output would make it a lot more valuable.

Hope this helps - keep up the good work
    Last edited by Mert; 11-24-2009 at 03:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread