+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Warr - Arena/Sheild slam question

Prot Warr - Arena/Sheild slam question

Alright, I recently took my Prot Warrior and made a PvP prot build here is my armory link so you can check it out

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Gul%27dan&n=truforce

15/4/52 Prot build

Alright my question is I've been doing 2s in the arena and trying to figure out how to get the biggest hits w/ shield slam and increase the damage

Currently I've just changed some gear around to get more Block Value to increase Shield slam amount

Now ive been trying to make a CD rotation with

Lavanthors Talisman
    Shield Block

my current block value is roughly 1600ish... now is theyre a cap to how much will effect shield slam? and What else would increase my shield slam amount in PvP Expertise?Hit? I'm new to the Arena/PvP seen with this toon so help me out a bit

THANKS!!!
    Last edited by Truforce; 11-18-2009 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Add more imput

I believe block cap is 2600-2700 one of those.l If your looking to do one huge shield slam its kinda tricky to do smooth but: zerker stance > recklessness > D stance > shield block > battle stance > shield slam.

Couldn't you just create a macro to do the same thing? =P for a single button?

there's no way the button would work unless you created the macro with a reset in it. You could technically do it though, but ideally you want to concussion blow or shockwave first so the target can't dodge/parry your incoming shield slam.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I believe in one of the prot pvp vids linked in these forums the videos author describes a macro that does this. He also says he thinks its against blizz terms and puts a disclaimer on it that he doesnt do it but you can and here is how.

That was Swifty. It wasn't an in-game macro, but a keystroke macro on his N52 keypad. It isn't against Blizzard's terms.

Ok after actualy playing Prot PvP for more then month here are insights.

Don't play it in 2v2 it's not as effective as 3v3. Prot war truly shine in 3v3. He can close almost any class... Shut down, completely, while providing comanding shout, imp spell reflect, safeguard and vigilance to his team.

How to gear?
    2400 SBV passive + Glyph of Blocking = that way you get 2700 cap
    Then you go for some Arp and/or PvP items and always gem for ArP, idea is to get in 30-45% range and use one of Arp trinkets.

Also respecing to this will bring you much better performance
    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Devastate costs 9 rage now and you should be spaming it. (reason for getting puncture)
    Thunderclap is not that important, but full crit from malice in pvp is.
    Mookey | GM of <RISE> Xavius [EU]

How i can check my actually SBV?

in game you can highlight over block % in your character sheet for it. outside, you'd have to do some math.

Look up Swifty's Prot PvP video on Youtube. He shows his gear there, and also gives you a lot of tips on rolling this spec. He swears by it, and says he rarely plays arms spec anymore because of the survivability of prot spec. He shows what you can do with your block value maxed out; his shield slam crits between 10,000-17,000 damage, it's pretty impressive.

While swifty is a great prot warrior and a good source for beginners, it should be noted that the top prot warriors - namely, Dreak (#1), Murth (#13), and Markco - do not advocate block value gear at all. They recommend raiding as arms, picking up DPS gear, gemming ArP and mixing it with pvp gear.

Also, Murth has probably the best prot warrior video out. It's a 3 part series with commentary. All arena matches are over 2k, with most up around 2.4k MMR. Here's the link: YouTube - Murth 2v2 Prot Arena Guide - 2500 Rated with Commentary! Part 1 of 3

Cheers,
    Soup

Quote Originally Posted by Sliverspark View Post
    Look up Swifty's Prot PvP video on Youtube. He shows his gear there, and also gives you a lot of tips on rolling this spec. He swears by it, and says he rarely plays arms spec anymore because of the survivability of prot spec. He shows what you can do with your block value maxed out; his shield slam crits between 10,000-17,000 damage, it's pretty impressive.

He shows what you can do with your block value maxed out; his shield slam crits between 10,000-17,000 damage, on naked and sundered targets, using trinkets , cooldowns and zerk, it's pretty impressive.

Fixed for ya ...

well, to be fair, if you wanna talk about max shield slam crits on naked sundered trinkets cooldowns and zerk, you need to look at Taith's video, not Swifty.

YouTube - Erupting Burning Shield Slam!

Quote Originally Posted by Mookey View Post
    Ok after actualy playing Prot PvP for more then month here are insights.

Don't play it in 2v2 it's not as effective as 3v3. Prot war truly shine in 3v3. He can close almost any class... Shut down, completely, while providing comanding shout, imp spell reflect, safeguard and vigilance to his team.

How to gear?
    2400 SBV passive + Glyph of Blocking = that way you get 2700 cap
    Then you go for some Arp and/or PvP items and always gem for ArP, idea is to get in 30-45% range and use one of Arp trinkets.

Also respecing to this will bring you much better performance
    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Devastate costs 9 rage now and you should be spaming it. (reason for getting puncture)
    Thunderclap is not that important, but full crit from malice in pvp is.

This. But I wouldn't tell people not to play prot in 2s. It might not excel in 2s as much as it does in 3s, but it's certainly viable in 2s atm. If you are very comfortable playing prot AND have (very good) gear, you will do just as well as prot. But, yeah, we don't rely solely on shield slam anymore. Wear prot t9 helm/legs and you can pretty much use dps (pve strength and/or pvp) gear in the rest of the slots. 100% armor pen is also amazing in BGs if you can survive (or better, if you have a healer). 12k shockwave crits are fun. :O

WTB Mortal Slam glyph!

I have been gearing my Prot with MS gear and sprinkiling in key BV pieces to keep my Slams high. I have seen some pretty sick Slams as of late (14ks). I havent gone too far out of my way to stack Resi. I am at about 4% reduction, which seems to work fine.

I still use Titanium Plating on my shield for the BV boost and the dis-arm reduction. Thats 2 extremely useful stats in one enchant....and I havent ever been too impressed with other Shield options outside of Tough Shield pre-level 70.

I stay in Prot stance 100% of the time. I have done the stance dance thing, and find it overkill for most situations. I can see dipping into Zerk stance at a certain times, but all in all Prot stance is too good to get out of.

I have seen several Prots go into the MS tree for Impale. 20% buff on crits is awesome no doubt. However, I recently went 12 points into Fury for Pierciing Howl and I couldnt be happier. It does 2 things: Gives me the same benefit of Hamstring and pops stealthed toons.

PH is a rogue killer and it drives Rets with HoF on cd nuts and catforms cant escape. Once I use PH I keep it up the whole fight and I have a significant advantage. Prot is successful when opponents are right next to you. PH does this for only 7 rage. You can feel the panic when I use that and the opponent is slowed to a walk. They immediately go into Survival mode instead of attack mode...then come the stuns, silences, disarms and death.

I see people skip Toughness and I dont understand why. You get an AP buff along with a reduction in movement impairing effects. Yes Warbringer makes that less of a necessity, but I still think Toughness is too good to pass up. I aslo spec into Anticipation = +5% chance for a Revenge. Incite seems to be a waste as I am not using HS or Cleave much and TC isnt a damage dealer...its crowd control.

I have also glyphed my Enraged Healing. I wanted to see if the +10% heal is worth it over other glyphs. I like having it, but Im not sure Im gonna keep it. Its hard to say no to an extra 2800 healing, but Im not sure it makes THAT big of difference.

I quit for most of 3.2 but after coming back and catching up a bit on the gearing curve I've started getting back into arena a bit. My 3s team has been unremarkable, but 2s is still viable with a good partner.

I've finally managed to get a good arms warrior to play around with in 2s and its probably one of the more fun comps to run. We have a big bag of tricks, the games are ALWAYS short. We got my former casual 2s team to 2k in about an hour and a half from 1500, I'm thinking that we can probably get it to 2100 this season without too much trouble, especially after I get my s7 weapon and switch up the enchant to berserking.

Unfortunately for me, I pve as prot too, so I don't have access to high ilevel dps gear, still I've had a reasonable amount of luck running a few peices of relentless and then using the emblem dps gear.

+ Reply to Thread