+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 179

Thread: How many DK Tanks are gunning for Shadowmourne?

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Also, keep in mind that this is the last tier before Cataclysm. Depending on how difficult it is to actually craft one of these, it's probably not going to have a big effect on progression. Give it to whoever deserves a legendary, who cares how big of an upgrade it is.
    DP don't worry, based on what Lore says you definately deserve it mate. Knowing Blizzard it'll probably drop every raid anyway

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    51
    If what I understood from the quests thus far is correct, then Shadow's Edge is the weapon you will create from the Primordial Saronite, Light's Vengeance (Arthas' weapon), etc. That, in my opinion, seems to be the hardest part from a resources point of view. After that, your only bottleneck is your rate of progression through the raid. You will eventually be able to soak Sindragosa's Frost Breaths, collect the acids, and do what you must with the Queen encounter. Then, it's just a matter of time before you are able to collect the required number of Frost Shards. Therefore, I don't think "everyone" will be able to get Shadow's Edge, at least early on because guilds will most likely delegate one person to receive all the resources - if not the Primordial Saronite because you have the gold/badges to buy them yourself, then at least the Shards off the boss.

    For this reason, whoever is destined to receive the legendary axe should, economically, get Shadow's Edge. Afterwards, it is just a matter of a time before Shadowmourne is fully forged.
    Keebzz - Blood Tank | Frost DPS
    Something Wicked | US Malfurion

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    119
    If my guild was doing 25 man content, and I still was one of the raid tanks (I am one of the guild leaders) I would take it, and go DPS since I think it would benefit the most. and when the guild needs me to tank, I would just change rune to stonestin gargoyle, and keep the 3x strength gems on... that axe has really nice threat values, but the DPS we will do with them will be more valuable then the threat we will do as tank.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    88
    No tank will see this weapon if there guild would like to progress and not be laughed at. Maybe if you pug it every week and ML the items to yourself sure.

    Fact is if you are a true tank at heart you do everything for your raid and that means not fussing over some legendary that does not belong in your hands period. Its Warriors first, Blood DPS 2nd and ret pally's third. in order of the biggest benefactor's.

    you give a weapon like this to the biggest benefactor for over all raid progression and there is no if and or butts.

    on top of that if you think you will main spec dps and off spec tank with it. again you are hurting the raid greatly by not having it in someones hands that dps 100% That goes for all 3 class's.

    This is a debate not a argument

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    352
    There's an easy answer to this question.

    Every warrior, death knight and paladin will want it. You could argue why one group deserves it more than another, but at the end of the day everyone that uses a 2 handed weapon will want one, largely because it's the best weapon in the game.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    88
    Your wants should be in the interest of the guild not your own personal epeen. I would love have this but i rather have one of our dps warriors slaying dragons with it then me re-rolling dps for ICC and off spec tanking that is silly.

    People are just allowing the color of the item to cloud their judgment.

    and the threat debate holds no water we all know threat is a joke. And if your tanks have threat issues that should be reason enough not to give it to them because it means they don't understand tanking fully. At the very least you just get sling shot with mirror immages

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    272
    Why does a Warrior DPS deserve this over either of the two other classes you listed?

    As far as utility, the DK DPS/Tank argument seems to be the best "overall" utility as they can use it for DPS and Tank specs with only changing their Rune... Warriors/Paladins can only use it for DPS.

    You seem very firm in your belief that Warriors should get this first, but you provided no reasons for that belief, just stated it as if it were fact. Could you elaborate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rukrow View Post
    No tank will see this weapon if there guild would like to progress and not be laughed at. Maybe if you pug it every week and ML the items to yourself sure.

    Fact is if you are a true tank at heart you do everything for your raid and that means not fussing over some legendary that does not belong in your hands period. Its Warriors first, Blood DPS 2nd and ret pally's third. in order of the biggest benefactor's.

    you give a weapon like this to the biggest benefactor for over all raid progression and there is no if and or butts.

    on top of that if you think you will main spec dps and off spec tank with it. again you are hurting the raid greatly by not having it in someones hands that dps 100% That goes for all 3 class's.

    This is a debate not a argument

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by JokerFMJ View Post
    Why does a Warrior DPS deserve this over either of the two other classes you listed?

    As far as utility, the DK DPS/Tank argument seems to be the best "overall" utility as they can use it for DPS and Tank specs with only changing their Rune... Warriors/Paladins can only use it for DPS.

    You seem very firm in your belief that Warriors should get this first, but you provided no reasons for that belief, just stated it as if it were fact. Could you elaborate?
    #1 Warrior always need Armor pen and will always be that spec for armor pen. a Blood dk needs armor pen where as the other 2 specs do not. that bumps your dk's down. and pallys could care less about armor pen. Warrior-blood-ret

    #2 the debate on utility is getting silly. You can not honisetly see a problem with this DPS item being used for tanking. The second it is used for tanking you hurt the raid it should be DPS full time. Meaning you NEVER TANK IN PROGRESSION. and if u you are going to, give to a dpser and man up.

    EDIT=====

    To strength this point i am sure everyone has wiped on a boss at 1%, be it 15khp or 100khp it has happened. and if you allow this weapon to go to the person who benefits most even if it is small it helps. also works for the tanking side of things.

    Yes its good for all 3 all 3 can use it i am not debating that. i am debating who it is best for.
    Last edited by Rukrow; 11-23-2009 at 12:01 PM.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    51
    This is getting too out of hand. It might be alright to "classify" the item in your opinion as a strict DPS-only weapon, but you mustn't then give priority to certain classes over others. DK's, Warriors, and Pallies can all use this weapon to DPS and no one is better than the other. Unholy DK's will be using Armor Penetration starting in 3.3 as well, so that argument goes down the drain.

    As for the idea of a DK tank switching to DPS, I will give you my personal experience. I was a DK DPS and still am, but recently changed to tanking full-time. I still DPS a lot (and I mean a lot) on nights that I am not needed as a tank, and I pull some pretty top numbers even though it is my "offspec" (quotes because its a very recent switch). Now, as I posted a few days ago, if I were to get this weapon, I would probably do something like this for the runeforge/gemming:

    Option 1: All 3 +stamina gems
    Option 2: All 3 +10 strength / + 15 stamina gems

    For both options, just switch out the runeforge enchant as needed a few minutes before the raid night starts (most likely I will either remain DPS or tank for that entire night). It is also fairly easy to port to Acherus, runeforge, and get summoned back via either a general or warlock Summoning Stone.

    The reason there is no "Option 3" with all 3 +Strength gems is because this weapon is so powerful even without the gems, and I'd rather either have a balance with stamina and strength, or go full stamina because I will still be pulling crazy DPS, but I'll need the stamina for tanking as that is not as comfortable a role as DPS'ing.

    In terms of utility, what JokerFMJ said is entirely true - a DK that is both a MT/"Main DPS" would be able to use this weapon for any situation. This does not mean the DK (or any class with a tanking dual spec) does not know how to use this weapon to "100%" like you say, Rukrow. They will simply be shifting 100% of their utility from DPS to tanking, and that will make a difference, if not in threat then in survivability. Like someone also pointed out, this weapon will also not make a difference in your progression. You must be able to overcome the difficulties of the raid without relying on the couple hundred more DPS provided by the player with Shadowmourne.
    Keebzz - Blood Tank | Frost DPS
    Something Wicked | US Malfurion

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    88
    I am only trying to give another view point and that seems to be more valid in the 100/200 progression guilds. I am very passionate on how i feel but others are entiled to their own rights and thoughts.

    I get the feeling more chill guilds really don't care who gets it as long as they get it and that is fine.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    785
    I will, 100%, be gunning for this as a DK tank.
    Is it better for a DPS class? Absolutely. But it's still my personal BiS, I've still put a lot of time and energy into the guild to make it better, and this item will likely not be used for progression in any way at all.
    It goes to who deserves it... not who gets the most use out of it.
    This isn't the Twin Blades... it's Atiesh.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
    I will, 100%, be gunning for this as a DK tank.
    Is it better for a DPS class? Absolutely. But it's still my personal BiS, I've still put a lot of time and energy into the guild to make it better, and this item will likely not be used for progression in any way at all.
    It goes to who deserves it... not who gets the most use out of it.
    This isn't the Twin Blades... it's Atiesh.
    Well that is unfortunate you do not have any good guild mates, or the respect to pass it along to them then. Must be a great place to raid.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukrow View Post
    Well that is unfortunate you do not have any good guild mates, or the respect to pass it along to them then. Must be a great place to raid.
    That doesn't have anything to do with anything...
    Individual player skill aside, most legendarys are pieces for guild achievement.
    It isn't like given a hunter Thunderfury to give it to a tank... it's just not the 100% optimal move.
    Orange colors always make everyone so sensitive.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,417
    Keep the personal insults to a minimum, no matter how much you want to "draw the facts", everyone here is discussing personal opinion, so attacking someone on it is silly. Each guild will have it's own way of handling it, trying to convince another guild your way is better is moot.

    READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,897
    My guild does all oranges based on longevity, whoever has been in the guild the longest of people who will use it for main spec. no drama, we know the order of who is getting it already, same with valynr we knew the order well ahead of time.



  16. #116
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Posts
    7,442
    The purpose of my argument was not to make it seem like DK tanks should have the only priority.

    Mine was to show that DK tanks have a valid reason to want the weapon and that it can, by all means, be a potential BiS item for them.

    For all intents and purpose, it is to the guild to decide who will get the weapon. However to be honestly clear, everyone should have the right to the weapon. DKs, Warriors, and Ret Paladins. None have a lesser claim to the weapon.

    Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

    "Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24


  17. #117
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Krenian View Post
    For all intents and purpose, it is to the guild to decide who will get the weapon. However to be honestly clear, everyone should have the right to the weapon. DKs, Warriors, and Ret Paladins. None have a lesser claim to the weapon.
    Couldn't have said it better. =)
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    11
    DK tanks should prefer Ramaladni's Blade of Culling - Items - Sigrie because of the expertise. It is only about 13 Stamina less but a whole 99 Expertise more. Expertise is better than Strength for threat, and tanks need a lot more Expertise than DPS since they are attacking from the front and can be parried. It also helps with mitigation due to parry haste reduction.

    As a tank you have to consider that most of the time threat is a non-issue anyway and while Shadowmourne may be the BiS threat tanking weapon for a DK tank, the sword I linked from ICC 10 Heroic is quite comparable. Without question if a DK tank took Shadowmourne, they'd replace it in the next patch with an item that is highly superior from a tanking/mitigation standpoint. Whereas any DPS will be using Shadowmourne straight through to the first epics dropping in Cataclysm, without a doubt.

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    119
    That is a good weapon option definitely. But this is the last patch till Cataclysm, which negates your second point. Tanks and DPS will be using this well into levelling in Cataclysm.

    I very seriously doubt Blizz will drop another raid into the mix before Cata, the gated progression model they're using points to Blizz trying to prolong raiding as much as possible before Cata drops. Please, for the love of all that is unholy stop trying to justify excluding your fellow tanks from consideration on what is going to be a great weapon, for anyone ANYONE who can use it.

    I don't think any tank is going to say they should get priority on the weapon, but we definitely have as much right to the thing as anyone else.
    Khaas the Insane
    My Guild: Face on Fire | My Blog: SRSBusiness

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozhe View Post
    DK tanks should prefer Ramaladni's Blade of Culling - Items - Sigrie because of the expertise. It is only about 13 Stamina less but a whole 99 Expertise more. Expertise is better than Strength for threat, and tanks need a lot more Expertise than DPS since they are attacking from the front and can be parried. It also helps with mitigation due to parry haste reduction.
    .
    1. Parry haste is negligible.
    2. The DPS increase, proc, strength, and crit are all FAR FAR FAR more TPS than Ramaldni's expertise in the long run.
    3. There will be weapons of similar downgrade for DPS classes available.


    I have NO idea why people are still trying to argue a priority system for a non-progression, end of expansion legendary.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts