+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: How many DK Tanks are gunning for Shadowmourne?

should be interessting to know if you can stack up while your disease tick on the mob anyone have any answer about that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zakarh View Post
    should be interessting to know if you can stack up while your disease tick on the mob anyone have any answer about that ?
    Probably not since the soul-draining is based off weapon swings but I could be wrong. Although if it did work with disease ticks, I'd imagine it would have a very high uptime so I doubt it.

On another note, this weapon indeed looks great for anyone that can use it. Being a DK DPS that just recently switched to full-time tank, I don't know my chances of landing the first of this weapon. I think any DK tank would love this weapon as would a DK/Pally/Warrior DPS. I've been having a funny idea if I do get it, to gem it with Agi/Stam or Str/Stam gems like Satorri said since I may be swapping between DPS and tank quite a bit, and this way I just have to change the enchant. Or be an abnormally high-health DPS DK from time to time :P
    Keebzz - Blood Tank | Frost DPS
    Something Wicked | US Malfurion

No, the proc is a chance on weapon hit. It will proc on white swings only, by design, those are the swings that flag for this sort of proc.

It's not any of your damaging items. Also, Zakarh, gotta watch your language.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    No, the proc is a chance on weapon hit. It will proc on white swings only, by design, those are the swings that flag for this sort of proc.

Then its best in the hands of a fury warrior, who have the quickest swing timer of any 2handed weapon wielders

I ended up tanking this xpac so I won't be getting it, first xpac for me where I don't get a legendary, ces't la vie.

I'm going to gun for it, but I have 2 Fury warriors and a ret paladin ahead of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gellor View Post
    Then its best in the hands of a fury warrior, who have the quickest swing timer of any 2handed weapon wielders
    That's debatable. Fast swing timers mean the proc will also dissipate quickly. 360 strength is probably > 2000 proc damage.

Threat baby, threat! The beauty of a weapon like this going to a DK tank is that it increases the threat ceiling for all DPS. It certainly is justified in being a tanking weapon.

Itemization baby...learn it, love it!
    Stay strong. Stay smart. All heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post

It's not any of your damaging items. Also, Zakarh, gotta watch your language.
    My understanding was any attack that "used" the weapon could proc it. If this is the case, how is it possible for mongoose to proc at all when protection warriors replace 90% of their white swings with heroic strikes?

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Also convention has been that MH procs proc more than OH procs. The only reason I know of is because of yellow attacks that use the MH weapon.
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

Well, I got confirmation from my guild today... I'll be getting the Axe, followed by a Fury Warrior. If we get to the point of working on a 3rd, it'll be going to a Retadin.

And yeah, in all seriousness... I'm more than likely going to drop 3 Solid Dragon's Eyes in it. In honor of the great news, and to show how excited I am...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iypUpv9xelg"]YouTube- Oingo Boingo Dead Man's Party[/ame]
    Last edited by Horaxe; 11-20-2009 at 06:32 PM.
    Khaas the Insane
    My Guild: Face on Fire | My Blog: SRSBusiness

I'll more than likely not get this weapon on my dk unfortunately! My guild is talking about switching my dk into our tanking core as my main because we have 1 druid, 1 paladin and 2 warriors(one of which is me) and it might be better if we have one of each.

If I do switch to a dk, yeah, I'll be gunning for this weapon with all my EP. Thank you, come again!

I wish there was a clear-cut answer who this should go to. Trying to pick to see if it should go to a dps DK or a tank DK right now is really difficult. I'm for both sides of the issue- except for the 'more threat' thing; i.e. if you can't hold threat without that axe, you don't deserve it!

Got a most excellent DK tank, really good-, but also a most excellent DK dps- keeps up with the rogs. Before Icecrown comes out I'd like to share with my officers who to pass it too but... well. When it comes to DKs I admit I know pretty much nothing about them.

this is either going to me (dk tank) or a dps DK just because we have the highest attendence of all dps/tanks in the guild. im an officer/gm but im letting the other 2 officers decide who to give it to since im just gonna be pro me .. its a huge upgrade who ever gets it and i think it will benefit the guild equal much whoever lands this bastard..

Its not easy deciding who will get stuff like this.. had the same problem in Uld.. but we officers just looked who had the highest attendence and who was contributing to the guild most and gave it to him. in the end some1 will get pissed of but it aint much you can do about it.. if im not getting this first ill get the 2nd one and i can live with that. And i dont think this is just a DPS wpn or tank.. and that makes things a bit interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    My understanding was any attack that "used" the weapon could proc it. If this is the case, how is it possible for mongoose to proc at all when protection warriors replace 90% of their white swings with heroic strikes?
    Mmm, good call (though note: it's a 2-hander, no prot warriors tanking with this puppy ).

The idea stands though for DK tanks who replace white swings with RS. Several DK abilities were fixed so that they would be used by RS as well to not diminish the value for tanks.

If it works on any weapon hit though, it will be supreme for some DK tanks. As a Blood tank I fill almost every GCD with a weapon strike (HS, DS, on top of the melee swings and RS's on each weapon swing timer).

I think people are over looking the fact that this is not going to be easy or cheap to get, and very few guilds are going to just pass every mat for one person. The mats required for Shadow's Edge are going to compete with a lot of other crafting patterns.
    People are going to have to do a lot of farming and dedicate a lot of time outside of a weekly raid environment to get this...that in its own right will determine a lot of who gets it.
    That being said, Shadow's Edge will be a pretty damn good weapon in its own right, regardless of whether you complete the rest of the quest line or not, so get that first, then you can fret about who gets the upgrade. I honestly doubt many people will all have Shadow's Edge at the same time.

Vanthus, in situations like this, organized teams recognize that legendaries take a lot of work to build, that is WHY they will decide one person to get it.

If you don't pick a pony to back, you can easily go and have no one get it because you spread the pieces around.

This discussion is really about who your team should pick as the player to get first dibs, which, in my opinion as many have said above, goes more to attendance, commitment, and privilege on the team, a little more so than class/spec.

i can't really understand how any dk tank can really say he'll get as much use out of it as a melee dps.
    do you actually bid dkp on a 2h b4 all your melee dps from the core raid group got theirs?

but then again with this being the last raid of the expansion i guess it's more of a reward to thank a guildie that's always there then that it's actually something needed for progression.

as to your question, no i won't be gunning for it, i'll gladly accept it if they offer it though

Quote Originally Posted by wazdaa View Post
    i can't really understand how any dk tank can really say he'll get as much use out of it as a melee dps.
    do you actually bid dkp on a 2h b4 all your melee dps from the core raid group got theirs?

but then again with this being the last raid of the expansion i guess it's more of a reward to thank a guildie that's always there then that it's actually something needed for progression.

as to your question, no i won't be gunning for it, i'll gladly accept it if they offer it though
    Wait ... so, since I'm a tank that uses 2H DPS weapons to tank... I should wait for all of the DPS to get their weapons before I get one?

And yeah, I'm going to get more use out of this than a warrior that's specced Fury/Protection. Since I'll be using it for anything I spec into.

If you're going to talk about wasted stats, or people not getting maximum use out of the item, let's talk about Retadins and Armor Pen :P

AS said above, this is an item that's going to take a huge amount of resources and time to complete (both inside and outside of raid), obviously it's not something you expect to go to someone with a /roll, because you want it (ideally) to go to someone who fits specific criteria: been in the guild the longest, has the best raid attendance, and preferably to someone who does more than just come to raids, maybe it's the guy who sits in Org spamming your recruit message, maybe it's the guy who does your website/forums. Or the guy who set up and pays for your vent. An item like this is a big thank you to that guildmate who goes the extra mile, the model raider, ideally.
    Khaas the Insane
    My Guild: Face on Fire | My Blog: SRSBusiness

Quote Originally Posted by wazdaa View Post
    Yes. I do. I bid DKP on a two handed weapon I find that will support my needs when I am tanking. Why? Because I'm a tank that uses a two handed weapon for tanking. Simple as that.

Death Knights are a very unique cause we simply are forced to take two handers as tanking weapons. They are as invaluable to us as much as DPSers value them. Our threat is directly linked to our weapon damage thanks to Rune Strike's abilities as well as most of our physical swinging damage. To state that we should step back and let our melee get better weapons than us when it directly affects our jobs is silly.

You're free not to gun for it but you're going to have to realize that it's a very powerful tool in your hand if you do get it. If I was still raiding, I would sincerely push myself on getting it, whether I DPS or tank.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

My issue would be that it's not clear to me that this weapon will be BiS for Dk tanks, so if it were loot council it would go to the DPS for whom it would be BiS for.

Now...once all the hard mode loot is out...if it turns out to also be BiS for DK tanks then all bets are off. But a lot of this discussion so far sounds like "I can use it and it's a legendary so I wanna role too!"

Which is fine and all if that's how your guild loot is set up; if I could magically procure one I'd respec to and arms offspec more often just to hang out in Dalaran. But my point was I'm not yet sure that it makes sense to most guilds to let the tanks role on it (but who knows, maybe Blizz won't show DK tanks any love with the hard mode loot).

+ Reply to Thread