+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How many DK Tanks are gunning for Shadowmourne?

Edit: Ok, ok, no raining on the plate's parade, sorry.

(PS: Ok, make it a mace.)
    Last edited by Bovinity; 11-18-2009 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by squats View Post
    With the new proc giving 40 STR for every soul you get, there is almost no reason to give this to a DK ever. Besides, the armor from Agi weapons > The parry you get from STR.
    To a tanking DK or to a DK period? o.O

Aside from that, I would love to tank with this weapon and think it's perfectly suited for a DK Tank.

Bovie is perfectly sane and reasonable and I totally did not edit this because he edited out a change of his mind.
    Last edited by Synapse; 11-18-2009 at 12:32 PM.

I'm guessing this will only drop on 25 mans , right? ;_;

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    Keep in mind guys, datamined information that isn't released by blizzard is NOT okay to post.
    Well bummer, this makes the thread a bit pointless :P

Though i believe a 2h axe that would have a chance to steal life per hit would seem like a more likely tanking weapon decision :wink wink:

And with them 1h'ers being able to get the stoneskin gargoyle enchant you could show some mercy and let an arms/fury warrior have it, splug :P

Death Knights would probably get the most usage out of it. Hear me out.

Death Knights are the only class who can tank and DPS using two handers (bar Druids, okay, but they can't use Axes). Hense they are getting two for one. Their enchants are free to them, and while the gems might usually be different you can still tank using +Strength gems without much trouble. And heck, if you're in a guild who can get a Legendary, you can probably afford to switch gems semi-regularly!

Not to mention the proc really does seem to scream 'AoE tank' to me.

So while I love Warriors, I'd rather see a (good!) Death Knight using one first.

you can talk about how it's gonna be a 2handed axe, and probably str based but no linking or details can be shared until it's officially released by blizzard.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I believe they did confirm that it's a plate-dps (and dk tank) itemized weapon...but I'm not really ambitious enough right now to actually hunt down the quote.

It's probably relatively simple to find in blue tracker though.

Quote Originally Posted by Krenian View Post
    There is a whole lot of oddities here that people assume and part of this can be blamed on Blizzard for making a class that only uses DPS weapons and refuses to give a 'tanking' like weapon.

Squats, your example of Val'nyr is a poor one. That's giving a Healer casting proc to a DPS class that would have no use to it. The proc would be a waste on the Moonkin and is one of the main arguments about giving Val'nyr the weapon. Shadowmourne has a proc that will do threat which is good for a DK tank in any sense of the word so the example is flawed.

Furthermore, having been a DPS all my life, I would have absolutely no problem if the DK tank would want it. Why would we penalize a class where Blizzard has ultimately asked to put DPS weapons as their tanking weapon? The class is made to use a DPS weapon as a tanking tool. The only reason some people look towards some specific two handed weapons is because they have 'defensive' stats such as Expertise which helps make us avoid dodge. But it is perfectly legit to fight with a weapon that has ArP and Haste or Crit.

This part of the argument is NOT 100% accurate as we have not gotten a final release and as such, is purely SPECULATIVE. However it's important enough that I have to put this in to show exactly the extent of the argument in which people are speaking about the weapon is not a tanking weapon.

Now, let's look at the proc of Shadowmourne:

Your weapon swings have a chance to drain a Soul Fragment granting you 40 strength. When you have acquired 10 Soul Fragments you will unleash Chaos Bane, dealing 1900 to 2100 shadow damage split between all enemies within 8 yards.

Let's go to the max of 9 shards before it does that Chaos Bane attack. That's 360 Strength given to your character. You get 5% of your Strength as a DK for Parry.

Forceful Deflection Increases your Parry Rating by 25% of your total Strength. Let's just look at the weapon proc itself, which would give you 90 Parry Rating. 23.625 Parry Rating is needed to get 1%. That's 4% Parry Rating from a proc alone.

Finally, as a final point, the weapon has a proc that eerily looks like Thunderfury's proc, although it doesn't happen all the time. That alone can make this weapon a great tanking weapon for Death Knights.

Again, this is IF the weapon has the same proc come release. This is by far the least likely possibility but if the stats would come out today, it is how it looks.

Just because it's a two hander, and just because it may have dps weapons, should not and cannot remove tanking Death Knights. That's just DPS being annoyed that the weapon is not going to them.

This is what Legendaries do, unfortunately. Everyone wants it, then people start overanalyzing the weapon and state "Oh well this stat makes it better for this and this stat makes it better for that". No, the weapon is what it is and anyone should have the right to it. You'll always be min/maxing it and sometimes you just can't do it.
    Thank you Krenian, now try explaining this to Capior because he doesn't seem to get it.

The fact of the matter is, its gonna be BiS for any scenario you can list, whether it be DK tank, DK DPS, Warrior DPS, or Pally DPS, as a legendary, its dumb to try and say that one of them shouldn't get it for X reason, its best for them as much as its best for you, they should get their fair shot.

I just saw the stats on wow.com for it, to me it's much as I expected Aesir's Edge on crack, with an awesome proc. And as has been said above, I think it's going to easilly be BIS for anyone that can use it. Yes, DK tanks included. As a fervent follower in the ways of Satorri (AKA Blood DK) I can see this being huge for me. Now I just have to get the thumbs up from the rest of the officers and work my way through the quest chain. I'm excited either way.
    Khaas the Insane
    My Guild: Face on Fire | My Blog: SRSBusiness

It has a relatively low amount of Stamina, that's why I wouldn't advocate it for DK tanks :P

I'ld also take the 4% Parry with a grain of salt, as 9 stacks is a max, so the average is 2% and that is pre-DR, which I imagine are pretty steep at that level. (Especially since you got another 55.75 rating from the static strength)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    It has a relatively low amount of Stamina, that's why I wouldn't advocate it for DK tanks :P
    Relative to what?

here are the stats according to wowhead Shadowmourne - Item - World of Warcraft I'm a DK tank and this is diffidently a weapon id go for

Quote Originally Posted by Okiesmokie View Post
    Relative to what?
    Relative to the amount of other stats on it imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Hello,
    Im a Tank Dk and i deffinatly want this weapon really awesome stats

Actually, WarTotem, if you use the sockets well (whether that means pure stam for you, or my preference, to meet the bonuses) you can still get a good measure more stamina out of it than currently available weapons. Only Gladiator weapons or, I'd imagine, hard-mode ICC weapons would be able to match it (probably, again, with sockets).
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

DK without the weapon thats related to the Lich King himself, is like Chuck Norris without roundhousekick.

Other question, can I get 2 Shadowmournes, one for tanking and one for DPSing ?

Quote Originally Posted by tribute View Post
    DK without the weapon thats related to the Lich King himself, is like Chuck Norris without roundhousekick.

Other question, can I get 2 Shadowmournes, one for tanking and one for DPSing ?
    No it's unique.

It's a unique weapon ,
    198 stamina + 3* 30 stamina gemm,
    i dont know the other stats of Icc 25 Hm weapon
    but i think you will never have so much dmg that the lengendary
    it increase a lot the threat,
    one think i would like to know , did the proc of the weapon give threat ?

Personally, I'm going 3 Agi/Stam gems, it will be delightfully crit, armor, dodgey!

And still stacked with health.

And, Zakarh, damage gives threat. The proc does damage. The proc will be threat. There's no reason they would deliberately wipe threat from it, it's part of the value of the weapon.

The Str on the weapon, with the special proc will make me an exuberant tank. Delicious threat.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

+ Reply to Thread