+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How did you recruit members at the start?

How did you recruit members at the start?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some strategies regarding recruitment.

Me and a friend are starting a raiding guild - the only problem is that we're on a new server and don't really know anyone here to call in any favors.

We're running heroics right now and generally making a good impression on people who roll with us (tank and healer), plus we've got a site and ventrilo readily available for when we start raiding. We've both been involved with running end game guilds and generally have a good idea how to operate.

We're looking for a better recruitment strategy than "Spam chat channels."

Thanks for any help.

Get into pug raids, get to know people. Once you have 5 people, run heroics regularly and then start running 10 mans, and pug the rest.. From 10 man grow to 2x10 mans, to 25, etc.

There is no instant raid guild solution. If there was, I would question the quality of the people you got.

I'd say: make PuGs for the 10 mens and even the 25s.
    Make sure people know you're gona do it on a more regular basis and try to recruit from there.
    And make it known in the raid you want to start a raiding guild.

What is on your site? loot policy? guild rules? boobies? links to good information for guildies to use? Just having one doesn't mean much, what is on it means a lot. Ideally what is on your site will encourage camaraderie, help you stay organized, and encourage recruits to join.
    The pen is mightier than the sword.
    My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/penlowe

Some great suggestions - We'll start recruiting from raids as soon as possible. Got our first member from a heroic last night!

Quote Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
    What is on your site? loot policy? guild rules? boobies? links to good information for guildies to use? Just having one doesn't mean much, what is on it means a lot. Ideally what is on your site will encourage camaraderie, help you stay organized, and encourage recruits to join.
    Right now the site has a DKP tracker, a small intro of what the guild is about, our loot policies and an app form. We've got barely any members at the moment, so the forum is pretty deserted. I'll probably add some stickies on each class forum to useful information - Is there anything else we should consider?

at the start we pulled a few small no name guilds together and made my current guild we recently have reached a hard time finding raiders so we PuG or raids and people end up joining after they see how well we operate and it has kept us from going under from having 16 people on to about 30 on every night to raid

Quote Originally Posted by Freemun View Post
    We're running heroics right now and generally making a good impression on people who roll with us (tank and healer)
    this is one of the best method's ive found for finding members. take it slow and find good people instead of just spamming for members in /2. don't ever discount someone just because they dont have BiS everywhere or may not know an encounter - everyone had to learn and get gear at some point. by being an elitist asshat you will exclude a lot of otherwise good people who may not have had a shot before now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavache View Post
    don't ever discount someone just because they dont have BiS everywhere or may not know an encounter - everyone had to learn and get gear at some point. by being an elitist asshat you will exclude a lot of otherwise good people who may not have had a shot before now.
    Totally agree. We just took a warrior from our Ulduar 10 pug because, despite him never having been there before, he did fantastic for his first try and executed the tacs perfectly.

2nd day, approaching 10 people - none recruited through channel spam.

Is there anything else we should consider?
    personality
    Show yours, do things that will help form the personality of the guild. Create an Off Topic forum (better yet name it something other than Off Topic), post pictures or a joke of the day or something to talk about & help people get to know each other. Funny polls like "Cake or pie?" break the ice nicely.

Way back in Vanilla a tradition started in my guild, purely by accident. We had our first Rags kill and forgot to take a screen shot. One of our long standing officers & tanks whipped up a screamingly funny cartoon "screen shot" in MS paint, complete with stick figures and plain white background. Ever since, "Graff-ics" are what everybody waits for after a first kill even though there is a pretty little screen shot on our news page.

What we did when lacking members was not just recruit people through raiding with pugs but add a social rank. Few of the core group had some friends they love to play with who couldn't raid that much or not on our set days. This atleast created a more lively guildchat and forum where the offtopic forum as mentioned by Penlowe became filled with a lot of good laughs and non-sense. For the raiders it didn't change at all as they still had their attendancy and requirements to follow, but as the social members pug a lot on the hours they can raid they put our name out there as well. Just keep advertising as a raiding guild despite the social ranking en ensure progress in 10mans by being dedicated and serious raiders and even though it takes awhile, you are heading towards 25m content a lot faster than you think.

Actually, a lot of serious raiding guilds have a 'friends & family' rank or something similar. The personality requirements are the same, but gear & whatnot are not. Most limit the number of people in this rank so as to not clog the guild roster with non-raiding toons.

Quote Originally Posted by Insahnity View Post
    There is no instant raid guild solution.
    Ah, thanks Pen, for proving me wrong. There *IS* an instant solution. Alas, I cannot pull this off.

What is on your site? boobies? links to good guildies to use? Just having one encourage recruits to join.

Show yours, do things that will help the guild. Create an Off Topic forum (better yet name it something other than Off Topic), post pictures.

Inshanity this is a technique known as "writing to your audience" including bits that you know will keep them engaged and reading.

Inshanity this is a technique known as "writing to your audience" including bits that you know will keep them engaged and reading.
    I am not equipped with said bits.

But isn't that's why we have the Pink Marmot Squad?

+ Reply to Thread