+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trophy Upgrade help!

Trophy Upgrade help!

Looking for my best upgrade here. Finally got my hands on a trophy last night and choosing between Head/shoulder/chest is proving difficult. I realize there can be different approaches which is one of the things I enjoy about tankspot forums. Also any other comments on my gear, gems, enchants and spec are welcome.
    The World of Warcraft Armory

It's a tough one because you have fantastic pieces in all those slots already. I personally went for the Chest and Gloves and stopped at the 2-set bonus but the Breastplate of the White Knight was not an option for me at the time really. One of the Shoulders or Chest, I'd probably go for but it is a difficult one for sure.

As for your gems/enchants, my only comments are nit-picky things that are more my personal preference than anything - take it as opinion more than anything

Firstly I'm not sure why you have the +10 All gem in your boots - the only value to this gem for a tank is to activate your meta and allow you to therefore stack Stam everywhere else. Same applies to the enchant on your chest - you're wasting a lot of itemisation on things like Int and Spirit and would probably be better served with +22 Defense or +275 HP.

Speaking of Metas, the spelldamage one is pretty meh and only really useful for certain fights. Austere Earthsiege (+32 Stam, +2% Armor) is by far your best choice for EH - I sometimes carry a second helm gemmed for magic reduction in my bag in case it comes up but to be honest it rarely does.

Unless you're having threat issues I'd drop the threat gems too - you have some Hit and some Strength dotted around and I personally prefer Agi/Stam for reds and Def/Stam for yellows and then only match +9 or +12 Stam socket bonuses, with all else being ignored for +30 or +51 Stam. With your level of gear and assuming you're doing the 969 rotation you shouldn't suffer threat problems at all so you can probably put some survival/EH stuff in their place.

Bring a stack of RD glyphs for Gormok if you're worried about dropping the Hit but even with zero Hit Rating, the chance of both your taunts missing is 2.89% and it only gets less likely as you do get some Hit on your gear (Onyxia-25 helm for example).

Final note - I don't much like Blade Ward and with the change to SoV applications, Mongoose procs all the time, easily reaching 50-60% uptime on a static tank and spank. Might be worth your consideration as 120 Agility, 240 Armor and some Crit even 40% of the time is pretty nice

EDIT: I have a log of Ignis from last night showing 58% uptime but I can't get it from work - happy to provide when I get home though if you're interested.
    Last edited by Mert; 11-25-2009 at 08:10 AM.

i would go for the Helm, since 180 block will give you more mitigation and more threat than the expertise...

Also, if you're not going for the 4set bonus, id try to change those tier pants for some legs dropped from jaraxxus 25man, they have parry and expertise, but for avoidance i would pick up the parry rather than block+hit, since i dont have threat problems...

And like Mert said... dont gem for threat if you dont have threat problems... but if you do.. then hehe gem for it... tho the only reason to have threat problems is because your dps either doesnt know how to spec, or they outgear you...

Thank you both for your replies. Mert I will likely change my meta, I go back an d forth on that one, but with 90% of my guild's focus in the collusim I agree that Austere is a much better choice. To answer your question, no I don't have threat problems, but I'm thinking my choice in str>agi with the dreadstone in the red slots may be part of the reason. Being a JC does give me the option to try some new things easily, thus the EH benefits there are worth taking a look at as well.
    As for the trophy well that another story, I agree the helm looks like the biggest upgrade with that sexy block value #, plus the additional strength which I obviously love. The shoulders however with additional defense and dodge are where I think I'm headed. Thank you again for your comments, have fun and see you in 3.3!

+ Reply to Thread