+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Threat gearing clarifation/discussion

Threat gearing clarifation/discussion

Hi everyone,

Just thought id post this up to see responses from people regarding my topic.

How important is it to be Expertise Hard capped (57) ?

I see alot of tanks and i know there are alot around that do not bother as this for a stat which in my eyes is a pretty bad way of doing things, in my guild we have a tank who loves stacking avoidance (under exp soft cap), another who chucks on wot ever gear he gets with no sort of priority to anything, then we do have the others who have different sets of gear like me.

I know the in's and out's of being hard capped, removing parries so i dont get insta gibbed on certain fights activating certain boss's haste timer.

I am sitting on 52 exp atm and under hit cap (185) with 2 upgrades from TOC25 that i have yet to gem/enchant as i just got them.

Would it be safe to say that being Exp hard capped (which is easy to achieve) and having a +block set be more beneficial than stacking pure avoidance with no expertise ?

Thoughts anyone please ?

my armory for anyone who is interested:
    The World of Warcraft Armory

There is almost 0 reason to go for expertise cap as a Warrior. It's nice to have for the threat boost but it's not necessary. As a full clear ToGC25 Warrior tank I've been running with about 49 expertise and 22 hit rating (and the only reason it's that high is because we haven't had access to 258 tier to swap out Chest/Helm until earlier tonight.) But back in Ulduar I wouldn't ever really gem for expertise unless under dodge cap which IS necessary. So long as you're over 26 you're good to go. No reason to gib yourself on avoidance or stamina for a little extra threat gen.

My armory if you're interested
    The World of Warcraft Armory

Nice gear man, I probably shouldve stated that with all the +expertise gear in TOC that being so close to exp hard cap that you would push urself over.

I understand dodge is important and i have some re-gemming/organizing to do, just thought id ask for clarity purposes really.

There is no *need* to be hard-capped.

For threat purposes you can continue to gain threat value from expertise up to that hard cap, but that doesn't mean it is necessary. Just the way it is not necessary to be hit capped.

Once you pass the hard cap, you're getting roughly equivalent values from hit and expertise (allowing that beyond chance to land your moves expertise reduces parries for parry haste where applicable, and hit rating applies to some key moves that expertise doesn't help you on).

If you're trying to max out threat by any means you can, being hit capped and expertise hard capped will do that from a gear standpoint, but at some point, probably before the expertise hard cap, you can probably get more threat value out of Strength, definitely as a Warrior.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

+ Reply to Thread