+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Tank needs advice

New Tank needs advice

I recently decided to finally level my warrior and start tanking with him. I have worked my way up to a wow-heroes gs of 2446, but it seems that I take huge hits, and my hp doesnt seem to be as high as other tanks. I plan on replacing the eye of zul gem later today with a 30 stam one. I am not sure if I am specced properly, (I copied this one from a friend who is an awesome tank), but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also any tips for aoe tanking, as the ot in most of the raids I go to, I seem to get stuck trying to gather the adds, (jarraxus is one of the harder ones for me) The World of Warcraft Armory

From a gear standpoint, I'd say your easiest immediate upgrades lie with obtaining the ilvl 226 crafted belt and boots (Indestructible Plate Girdle and Spiked Deathdealers respectively). Runed Orbs are pretty cheap these days so they should be relatively easy to acquire. Outside of that, you are certainly capable of tanking 10 TotC.

For tanking adds on Jaraxxus, I'd probably switch out the onyxia blood talisman for one of the brewfest trinkets (if you have them) simply due to all the spell damage getting tossed around in there.

As far as spec goes, I'm a big fan of my 15/3/53 deep wounds build, but there's nothing really wrong with yours (though I don't know if imp spell reflect is really worth it).

Overall, just keep gathering those triumph emblems and check out vene's recommended pick order. The Emblem of Triumph Pick Order - Warriors - TankingTips.com
    Last edited by Antonius; 11-17-2009 at 10:56 AM.

I have one of the brewfest trinkets, I changed it out when I got the onyxia one, but still carry it around. I will drop to 535 d when switch it tho.

I was actually working towards the conquest belt (shieldwarder girdle) , still 8 badges short i believe which should get today. I will check into the boots and belt, I think my cousin has the patterns so getting them made shouldnt be a problem.

AS for the imp reflect, I dont really use reflect that much, unless it is a caster boss fight, so i could play with that a little see how i like those 2 points elsewhere.

Thanks for the tips.
    Last edited by Lindric; 11-17-2009 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonius View Post
    For tanking adds on Jaraxxus, I'd probably switch out the onyxia blood talisman for one of the brewfest trinkets (if you have them) simply due to all the spell damage getting tossed around in there.

The biggest threat to you when tanking jaraxxus' adds is the melee damage from the pain mistresses, who swing hard and fast. The ony trinket is fine for that role in that fight where avoidance is more than handy. The only spell damage you should take is 1-3 jump chain lightnings VERY occasionally.
    Xíanth <Valkyria>

Here's a few tips.

- Replace parry stamina gem in your shoulders wit expertise / stam or dodge / stam. It's rare that gemming parry will be better then gemming dodge.

- If your going to wear the ony trinket over a brewfest, consider replacing the defence enchant on your cloak with armor, and replacing the def/stam gem in your BP for a straight stam one. I would recommend you wear the brewfest, keep your enchants and gem as is and simply re-enchant your chest with 22 defense, that should get you over the 540 mark and stam is > avoidance currently.

- Badge belt is an acceptable upgrade for your current one, the crafted belt (mentioned in a previous post) is superior, but not vastly so (extra gem slot). I highly recommend the triumph badge ring to upgrade the Titanium Earthguard one.

- I would look to replace your legs after that, the legs; while a high item level, are terribly itemized.

A few things to keep in mind, I realize it's the gear you have, but keep in mind while rolling on gear:
    -Expertise > hit before 6.5% expertise. (even after imo)
    -Block sucks
    -EH > avoidance.

Atm your over hit cap and are woefully under expertise soft cap.

As for talents and glyphs... I would use:
    Wowhead Talents

There are 3 points that are up for debate, the 2 left overs and one of the three in shield spec. There are two places to put these, either focused rage or shield spec (shield spec shines for multiple mob tanking, I like FR for single). There is also one glyph spot open, appropriate glyphs are imo: blocking, vigilance or last stand.

Cruelty is weak, deep wounds is probably the highest single tps talent in outside of the prot tree. Spell reflect is situational. 2m shield wall is always good.

Best of luck!

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

+ Reply to Thread