+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What 10-mans can I tank?

What 10-mans can I tank?

I've got some who think I can't tank a raid boss period (though I know I can). Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Armory: SunderKush

I'm in my PvP gear/spec atm so I'll go through my gear.

31k HP unbuffed
    37k HP buffed in 5-mans
    Defense capped via resilience
    48.56% avoidance
    Not sure on TPS but I know I've never lost a boss to DPS, I'm 100% sure I could hold a raid boss
    EDIT: 13 Expertise
    EDIT: 25,550 Armor

Now, that being said, I need my Armor Plated Combat Shotgun and I'm getting my Hellscream's Pauldrons of Conquest soon (2-3 days). Other than that, I'm good to go as far as gear (in my opinion). Am I ready for Ulduar? Can I tank Patchwerk? OS + 1? Thanks!

I think it would be better if you logged out in tankgear and spec to give a better picture of what you actually have. Dodge/parry/block are nice to see and how much hit you have as well as enchants. 31k HP UB sounds a bit lacking IMO.

resilience only makes you uncritable in pvp not agenst bosses, u need a defence of 540 atleast to be uncritable, without lookin at ur tanking gear i cant really say if u can do 10 man runs, but if ur tanking in ur pvp gear then its got fail writen all over it lol
    Last edited by Ltseb; 11-17-2009 at 06:40 AM.

Definitely would need to understand your tank gear better to be much help. I looked you up on wow-heroes and based on the prot gear that is cache'd there, I personally would not take you to anything over Naxx (and if the 516 def with a bunch of resil is accurate, not even that).

For best responses, please log out in your tank gear so we can get a more accurate look. This will help provide detailed feedback instead of vague generalities.

Well. Probably any 10 man up to uld 10. That one could be difficult. If your heals are good you'd be fine.
    I tanked 10 man VoA bosses with only 2 healers and only 30k health, def capped, 57% avoidance on my pally who's been 80 for just 8 days. I would suggest just being an OT for the time being unless you have some.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltseb View Post
    resilience only makes you uncritable in pvp not agenst bosses, u need a defence of 540 atleast to be uncritable, without lookin at ur tanking gear i cant really say if u can do 10 man runs, but if ur tanking in ur pvp gear then its got fail writen all over it lol
    Just to clarify: Resilience still does work on bosses in terms of being uncrittable, but it does not lower the damage of the crits that the boss does.

when i see a tank using resil to mitigate damage, i just shake my head. it "works" but not well. the time spent getting one piece of pvp gear for the resil could be used to gain 2-3 pieces of defense gear to tank with.

now if i saw your stats advertised in LFG on my server to tank a 10 man (lets say uld) i would take you. but when i saw resil gear, i would boot you in a second.

I've had tanks in blue tempered saronite gear tank 10 uld (razor XT kolgaron(sp?)) and some other lower difficulty bosses. I would take them in their 29k hp unbuffed glory than you in resilience gear.

I wouldn't advise tanking anything until you get your gear enchanted. Blue quality gems are naughty. Two brewfest stam trinkets are naughty..get the black heart for one of those. Insufficient defense is naughty. The lack of gear purchasable (ring, bracers, chest and hat) with badges, especially to replace those pvp pieces - also naughty.

On the plus side, spec & glyphs are pretty good - consider dropping cruelty and 1 point of shield spec for 3/3 focused rage but its not a deal-breaker

For lower level content there is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing pvp gear. You say you wouldn't take him over some one in all blues but I would. Mainly because he had enough brains to figure out that you can in fact use resil to become crit immune.

I'd say you could tank most 10 man content up to and including some TOC. I wouldn't recommend attempting any hard modes. Some of the later bosses in ulduar could be difficult, but by the time you get to most of them you should have managed to aquire some more gear.

Really though you should be doing heroics for badge gear.

Simple advice. Log out in tanking gear and tanking spec and use a tool like WoW Heroes - World of Warcraft PvE character info & ratings to guage where your character should go.

Even though you can use resilience to become crit immune, you should look at replacing that gear. There is a lot of badge gear potential and you can probably replace a lot of that with PvE gear if you spend some time running heroics.

It's largely to the disgression of the raid leader to decide though I would have to agree that you should probably be in Naxxramas right now at least to replace your PvP pieces with starter PvE pieces. With a druid tank I could see being more leaniant with gear, wear the best stuff you have cause you talent for crit immunity. But for the other tanking classes your best stuff might not meet the bare minimums required for a tank.

+ Reply to Thread