+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PW:S and WorldofLogs

PW:S and WorldofLogs

Hi there.

I know that, as a disc priest, it's fantastically difficult to judge your performance by way of metres, however, they can have their uses and, over the last few weeks, I've been reviewing my raid contribution via WorldofLogs. One thing still confuses me though; if I look at my PW:S, on both the main healing dashboard and by directly clicking the spell, it's giving me, for example:

# 478
    Avg 1989.5

Now, I'm mainly on tank duty, so my PW:S can't be just wearing off without performing any of it's function ...

Aliena, in her disc priest guide, says:-

"With 2100 spellpower it absorbs 6500 damage".

I'm currently running with over 3k sp (25 man buffed), so I'd expect an absorb rate of around 9.5k. Is there a massive discrepancy in what's actually happening and what WoL is guessing/recording or should I be looking somewhere else in the log for the correct data?

Are you healing with a macro and have accidentally been using the wrong rank shield perhaps?
    3k+ spellpower as disc will certainly be more than 2k absorbs, im not fammiliar with WoL, perhaps thats your glyph of Pws you are looking at? or aegis proc? Or WoL does not record it correctly at-all.
    Thats all I can think off, off the top of my head.
    I have always used Wow-meter-online in wotlk.

I just checked my WoL and here's what it says for one night of healing as disc.
    Power Word: Shield Healing done 2,953,008 #705 Avg 4188.7

Im sitting a bit under 3k sp with raid buffs and Im generally bubbling alot more people than just the tanks. Id have to agree with Koyanis in that it might be you're using a lower rank.
    The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason. Talga Vassternich.

Hi

I've been digging about and discovered that when WoL says 'hits' under PW:S it actually means how often your targets were hit while they had your PW: S up, the average figure next to this, therefore, doesn't represent the absorb value of your shield ... to work this out you have to use the old method of multiplying your glyph of PW:S by 5.

There's a post about it at WoL:-

World of Logs • View topic - PW:S calculations/possible overhealing measure

so then the kool part about this is that the logs only count the shield if it absorbs dmg....nice! I've been wondering if it differentiated between shields that I cast that never got hit or not....

I just looked at the report I got my first post from and doing the glyph method I came up with 2,396,605 damage absorbed, which isnt too terribly far off from what WoL says for my healing done with PW:S
    The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason. Talga Vassternich.

Hmmm, using the glyph method I get 1,735,200 but WoL gives me 950,999. This means only 54% of my shields are effective. I'm the only disc priest in a 25 man ToC raid. I'm on tank duty. 49% of my shields are cast on the tanks, so one would assume they're consumed completely. The only time do anything approaching 'spam shielding' is during the Faction Champs, Twins or Anub, and then on the people who (according to WoL) are taking the most damage. 5% effectiveness on this basis seems rather bizarre.

found this thread on Elitist Jerks talking about the mechanics....its about halfway down the page

Discipline Healing Compendium v3.1 - Page 19 - Elitist Jerks

basically, the poster asserts that wow records dmg done to a shield effect as an "absorb." While somewhere in the depths of the code, wow knows how much is being absorbed by what effect, wowlogs doesn't know what effect to credit with what absorb, and therefore simply credits the last shield spell or effect with the absorb...

this was discovered on the twins fight because the light/dark buff functions in the code level as a shield to that kind of dmg, producing absorbs that were, at first, being recorded by wowlogs as absorbs....so the disc priest's numbers were through the roof in ways that were uncastable....now they nerfed all absorbs out of the logs on that fight, and we have to calculate our absorbs based off of pw:s glyphs....but this, too, is highly inaccurate because wowlogs only records the glyph procs that actually heal, and we should be casting shields defensively, so while the pw:s glyph proc may not be recorded, the shield may be totally consumed.....

also...our shield lasts long enough and absorbs enough damage that there are other shields in the game that may be getting credit on wowlogs for absorbs done by pw:s in any of the fights, if the poster is correct about how wowlogs tracks these things...

that being said....I've been looking at logs from another guild on my server that is working anoob 25 heroic, and their disc priest is at the top....when he's tank healing....with the screwed up mechanics....and he's at the top when he's healing raid (cuz he goes holy).....so these mechanics are not an excuse to under-perform

so some adjustments I'm making:
    1) attitude: screw the logs...I'm gonna heal the snot out of my assignment and top it with or without nerfs to my numbers...they can misunderstand disc all they want....we'll still kick their @$$
    2) when raid healing from disc (i'm debating ditching shadow offspec to go holy raid heals again) shields are just going to go wasted sometimes....cast more reactively with fast heals, shield less....
    3) request tank duty more often...lol...I just switched guilds, and although I'm disc, it has taken me a while to speak up and ask to be put on single target healing (incinerate flesh is a fun one) because they haven't had active pve disc priests in a long time (since before we were considered "viable") I got to do more single target healing last night, and disc became fun again....
    4) overheals shmoverheals....i'm going to over heal, just like every other class....I've always tried to keep this number down because of my old mana concerns from leveling holy, but that's just not a worry with this build, so I'm turning loose on casting heals....even without shields, disc pr is one fast-casting field medic, and even if some of it is over-kill, if the group stays up, so be it

long live disc, baby

short version of my last post:
    logs don't measure disc throughput accurately in no small part because we are balanced as much for utility as throughput....but that doesn't mean we don't put out!

hehe

Goomba, thank you so much for that ... I started searching about on boards when I ran into problems disc healing - tanks on TGC without pally support. What I got back, fairly frequently, was other disc healers crowing about their numbers, especially on Twins, la di da, almost no use to me whatsoever ...

From what you've said, I believe the huge discrepancy I was seeing on my logs, compared to what other priests were claiming, was due to the fact I'd possibly been going into ToC after the nerf absorb calculations hit. Quite amusing really, so much for their smug self satisfaction.

And yes, I cast shields defensively, so I'm not seeing that proc. Ofc, I also cast reactively.

I like your adjustments, with the exception of overheals. Was reading some blue posts on MMO recently - eg MMO-Champion BlueTracker - healing in cata .. [blizz post]

Snipet:-

"Now avoidance on a tank can matter a little more because saving healer mana becomes as important as being table to take the next hit."

And I like this change.

I think your 9.5k expectation is a bit off - If I see it right, Aliena puts the shield at base+2x spell power.

So at 3k spell power, it would absorb around 7.2k.

If you wanna check how much your shield actually absorbs, dig in to those logs. Find a place where you shielded the tank, figure out what (if any) other shields they had, how strong those shields were, and you know what your shields attributes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliena View Post
    Amount of PW:S glyph heal x5!
    this number has to be taken from the combat details itself about healing spells cast (its still an average), not from the average on wowlogs healing done summary....wowlogs healing done summary only records the part of this that actually heals (effective healing) so when its cast on someone at full health, none of the healing counts, and waters down the average on the log...and let's face it...one of the most important roles of shields is to use them before dmg happens....lol
    Last edited by Goomba; 12-09-2009 at 04:13 PM.

Not talking about logs. If you want to know how much your PW:S has the potential to absorb with your current amount of spellpower, cast it on yourself and multiply the glyph heal by 5.

How much it ACTUALLY absorbs before it wears off is another matter altogether and depends on your foresight and the encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliena View Post
    Not talking about logs. If you want to know how much your PW:S has the potential to absorb with your current amount of spellpower, cast it on yourself and multiply the glyph heal by 5.

How much it ACTUALLY absorbs before it wears off is another matter altogether and depends on your foresight and the encounter.
    yep.....this is the only accurate way to know how much the shield is....

I use an addon called Dr. Damage that looks at everything from spec to current buffs, etc to calculate spells, and it seems to calculate the expected shield pretty well...nice to have the expected output based on up to the second buffs/procs right in front of me all the time....puts text right on the button for each spell....

but that's still an estimate....the method Aliena suggests is the only way to tell how much the shield is actually worth...the time this gets tricky is when the glyph heal crits (cuz the shield doesn't crit, if I understand it right)

+ Reply to Thread