+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tanking DK Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Sukafree View Post
    If you dont already have rune strike macro's, here is an example.

#showtooltip (Spell)
    /use (Spell)
    /use !Rune Strike

so it would like like this for a blood tank like myself

#showtooltip Heart Strike
    /use Heart Strike
    /use !Rune Strike
    /fixed . Using 'use' instead of 'cast' saves one character, which will become valuable as OP starts using and making more complicated macros that hit the 255 char limit.

To OP, no Bladed Armor = bad. A DK w/ ~25k armor will derive an additional ~700 AP from that talent, which is a significant % of a DK's total AP (For example, your AP is currently 2034).

AP buffs everything - strikes, autoattacks, spells, even diseases. Point for point it is one of our best threat talents. Switch the 5pts from Icy Talons into Bladed Armor. AP > Haste for DK tanks. Icy Talons is more of a Frost DW DPS talent.

Here's a guide I wrote at EpicAdvice.com for new DK tanks looking for a good entry-lvl 5man farming spec, should be useful for you.

Tanking as a death knight, if i ever loose agro i use dark command which instantly brings back my agro.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnick View Post
    Well I am now keeping aggro well but my problem still remains that I am taking too much damage and I am not sure what to do to handle this...
    I sometimes find myself taking a lot of damage, though everything else - positioning, gear, abilities used - is fine. I think because Death Knights don't use shields, we tend to take a bit more damage - though most (competent) healers should be able to heal it.

PS: You've got way too much hit! :P Almost enough expertise...

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
    ...To OP, no Bladed Armor = bad. A DK w/ ~25k armor will derive an additional ~700 AP from that talent, which is a significant % of a DK's total AP (For example, your AP is currently 2034)...
    Did you mean to say Bladed Armor is not bad, or did you mean to say that it is [bad]? :-) The argument presented seems to favor the notion you said that it isn't bad, though...
    Last edited by Valquirie; 12-02-2009 at 02:35 AM.
    Yay! Sparklies and Pretty Butterflies!
    */Gives everyone Candiz, and /Waves with Blankie*
    http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/wow/8/...83400JYOhf.png

Quote Originally Posted by Valquirie View Post
    Did you mean to say Bladed Armor is not bad, or did you mean to say that it is [bad]? :-) The argument presented seems to favor the notion you said that it isn't bad, though...
    Heh, I meant that Bladed Armor is good (for DK tanks in Frost Presence). Not having it is bad. Eg, it's one of a tank's best threat talents, so OP should get it.

For example, looking at OP's armory, it appears he as around 24k armor in Frost Pres. BA would give him 24000/180*5 = 667 AP. His current AP is 2034, so that's a ~33% AP increase from 5 talent points. Pretty good considering that buffs almost every ability a DK has. Better than the alternative haste buff from 5/5 Icy Talons.
    Last edited by Kurtosis; 12-02-2009 at 01:44 PM.

Capping expertise is much more important than capping hit to start. This is for 2 reasons:

1. Until the soft cap (of 26 expertise): Expertise is worth signficantly more than hit point for point (% to dodge and parry but offset by it not affecting spells).

2. Most importantly, since expertise reduces the chance to parry it reduces parry haste. Parry haste is when some add's parry their cooldown on their next melee swing can be reduced. This means they could theoretically hit you with 2 melee hits almost simultaneiously and might make your dmg intake much spikier. I would definitely try and get to 26-30 expertise rating as a good starting point.
    Last edited by Voodan; 12-02-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Just don't forget that hit is very important for DKs. Sadly, many of our abilities are based on spell hit, so low hit simply will not fly. However, it doesn't only affect threat. Mind Freeze, our one and only true interrupt, is based on spell hit and having more hit rating can mean all the difference in interrupting some deadly spell or not.

While hit is important, and we do have some spells - thereby making spell hit cap a stat to look at - I've yet to see significant issues with my 157 Hit Rating. :P Of course, it fell only the day before and before that I had about...200-230 hit rating, and was fine. :-)

I've tanked Jaraxxus and missed three Mind Freezes in a row due to spell hit. I've also missed the first icy touch on a pull and lost a dps because I wasn't quick enough on the subsequent taunt (takes me a second to realize I missed). It's rare, but it does happen.

Ahh! :-( ...Hmm, maybe I should rethink a couple of gear choices and gems.

I wouldn't, if you're happy where you are. Just don't discount hit, that's all I'm trying to say. It's probably more important for DKs than any other tank.

I am starting to take large amount of damage on bosses and thinking about making a blood of spec for this problem ....comments or tips ?

I recently changed spec to blood just to try it out as secondary spec, but i must say itīs kind of cool. Tried out the new Icecrown 5-man dungeons on heroic and tanking in blood spec made alot of difference, especially on the no-adds bosses where I can use Mark of blood, blood tap and vampiric blood with improved death strike. Think Im gonna use this spec until Cataclysm.

Check it out, and comment if you find anything i should remove/add:

The World of Warcraft Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Carnick View Post
    I am starting to take large amount of damage on bosses ...
    This (to ninja the thread for a second).

Is it my imagination, or is my baby DK tank casually playing through hcs, Naxx and Uld suddenly taking a *lot* more incoming damage since 3.3? I'm used to being spikey (and until now I've enjoyed playing UH because I *am* playing casually and like the playstyle and the cooldowns) but this is getting ridiculous. I know the mob pathing isn't making things any easier but I don't think this greatly-increased spikeyness can be solely attributed to that - and every single one of my tanking stats has increased since the patch and I wasn't seeing anything specwise that looked like the culprit.

I'm moving to Frost and Blood for my two tank specs this patch, and this is the first time since rolling the DK that I've been moved to do this. What am I missing about this patch, or has it finally decided to expose my noobness?

+ Reply to Thread