+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Talents/glyphs/rotation/threat

Talents/glyphs/rotation/threat

The World of Warcraft Armory

Hey guys,
    Got a few questions...I recently got into tanking on my paladin since i've been playing dps for 4 years now. I enjoy tanking and would like to keep at it but I have some concerns.
    I've found my threat generation is lacking...in order to hold aggro i need a good few seconds before any dps unloads and even then sometimes i cant hold threat and its bugging the sh** out of me. I was hoping somebody could check out my gear/talents/glyphs and offer me any advice on what im doing wrong/how to improve my threat generation. I tank with righteous fury ON and use SoC.
    Maybe my threat generation is right on for what i have..maybe not..but something definatly feels wrong.
    I appreciate all the feedback you guys could give.
    Thank you in advace

Blatant copy paste from one of my other replies:

Enchants
    Helm - Arcanum of the Stalwart Protector - Item - World of Warcraft
    Shoulder - Greater Inscription of the Pinnacle - Item - World of Warcraft
    Cloak - Enchant Cloak - Titanweave - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Chest - Enchant Chest - Powerful Stats - Spell - World of Warcraft or Enchant Chest - Greater Defense - Spell - World of Warcraft if you need defence
    Bracers - Enchant Bracers - Major Stamina - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Gloves - Enchant Gloves - Armsman - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Legs - Frosthide Leg Armor - Item - World of Warcraft
    Boots - Enchant Boots - Greater Fortitude - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Shield - Enchant Shield - Defense - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Weapon - I personally use Enchant Weapon - Blade Ward - Spell - World of Warcraft at the moment, but a cheap alternative is Titanium Weapon Chain - Item - World of Warcraft

Gems
    Solid Majestic Zircon - Item - World of Warcraft in pretty much every socket.
    If the armour piece has a socket bonus of +9 or +12 stamina aim to get the bonus.
    For a red socket use Shifting Dreadstone - Item - World of Warcraft
    For a yellow socket use Enduring Eye of Zul - Item - World of Warcraft
    Meta use Austere Earthsiege Diamond - Item - World of Warcraft

Glyphs
    Glyph of Divine Plea - Item - World of Warcraft <- must have
    Glyph of Righteous Defense - Item - World of Warcraft <- recommended if you have low hit rating, so your taunts don't miss
    Glyph of Seal of Vengeance - Item - World of Warcraft <- must have, unless you're expertise capped which is unlikely

You can use Glyph of Salvation - Item - World of Warcraft instead of Righteous Defence, however due to the recent threat nerf I'm not a big fan of losing that much threat just for incoming damage reduction. It would be useful if you're tanking an add by yourself while everyone else is DPSing something else.

As for minor glyphs
    Glyph of Sense Undead - Item - World of Warcraft <- wonderful for undead fights. Extra 1% damage!
    Glyph of Lay on Hands - Item - World of Warcraft
    Glyph of Blessing of Kings - Item - World of Warcraft

Minor glyphs don't really matter much, except for sense undead.

Rotation
    969. Hands down, best way to get max threat.

The basics behind 969 rotation is that ShoR and HotR are both 6 second cooldowns, with your other 3 main abilities, Cons Judge and HS, being 9 seconds or there abouts.

Without the other spells inbetween it looks something like this:
    (Shor) _____ (HotR) _____(Shor) _____ (HotR) _____

With the other spells:
    Judge (ShoR) HS (HotR) Consc (ShoR) Judge (HotR) HS (ShoR) Consc (HotR) ...

You have enough hit/expertise to be doing decent TPS. When you say SoC I assume you mean Seal of Corruption, not Seal of Command, so that's all good.
    Your gear is decent for starting off tanking, a few upgrades should be gotten asap (blues first!).
    If you're trying to tank for people who out-gear you then it will be pretty difficult to keep threat, due to the recent pally threat nerfs. Hell, my friends alt warlock puts out so much threat that she has to stand there and wand for a bit, and I'm doing 25Totgc!

Swap your glyphs over, check your rotation and if it keeps up let the DPS know that you need a second or two to get threat. The small amount of time they have to wait will be better than the amount of time it takes to res and rebuff a dead DPS because their e-peen got in the way.

Try using Omen add on to see if and when DPS is out threating you. I follow the above guide pretty well and only lose threat very rarely.

Also try this talent spec. I could be wrong but I think the points in Seals of the Pure will generate more threat from SoV/SoCor.

Quote Originally Posted by Raykell View Post
    Try using Omen add on to see if and when DPS is out threating you. I follow the above guide pretty well and only lose threat very rarely.

Also try this talent spec. I could be wrong but I think the points in Seals of the Pure will generate more threat from SoV/SoCor.
    I'd recommend more points in ret : Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft
    5/59/7 is a decent tanking spec, however since swapping to 0/53/18 I've found threat output to be the same, if not higher with the added bonus of receiving less incoming damage and having a speed boost

Thanks for the info and I apologize for the thread duplication.
    I'll swap out my glyphs, redo my talents and fine tune my rotation and im sure i'll get good results.
    much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by essdot View Post
    Thanks for the info and I apologize for the thread duplication.
    I'll swap out my glyphs, redo my talents and fine tune my rotation and im sure i'll get good results.
    much appreciated
    No worries mate, hope it helped!

I remember when I first started tanking, information was all over the place and so confusing. Much easier to have it all in one place, in (hopefully) an easily understandable post

+ Reply to Thread