+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arms PvP - Need advice on gems

Arms PvP - Need advice on gems

Hey chaps

Not very long ago my RL friends started playing again and we decided to start PvPing for real again. I haven't done much arena since TBC, and a lot of things have changed with the arms talent tree since then. I've aquired some decent PvP gear, but I am very unsure on how to gem my PvP equipment decently.

I decided to go for strength and critical strike rating, but after doing some research the majority are in favor for gemming full ArP, but I still see a lot of different opinions on the matter.

Here's how I've done it:
    Red - 20 STR
    Yellow - 10 STR + 10 Crit
    Blue - 10 STR + 15 STAMINA

Armory link

So it all comes down to what I should gem and why I should do it. Is ArP really a necessity? Do I gimp myself by focusing on strength and crit in arena? I somehow feel a lot safer going for strength and crit, probably because it's what I used to go for back in the day and know the stats well. But if I can improve by using something else, that's what I want to do.

Hopefully some experienced PvPers can help me out here, but everyone is welcome to post their opinions.

Thanks!

honestly, if you're a skilled player then it wont really matter what you gem for.

axe spec - arp gemming
    sword spec - arp gemming is better than str gemming
    mace spec - str gemming since with 2pc t9 bonus you are basically at the arp cap with a trinket proc.

as for me, i run mace spec to get me to the arp softcap for my trinket, and gem full str to boost my ap.

i think i only have 1 yellow socket in my pvp gear and its in my boots, where i put in a 10str/10hit to reach the hit cap. everything else is either 20 str or 10str/15stam. and a nightmare tear in my relentless mace.
    Last edited by Destruyen; 11-15-2009 at 03:52 AM.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Destruyen View Post
    honestly, if you're a skilled player then it wont really matter what you gem for.

axe spec - arp gemming
    sword spec - arp gemming is better than str gemming
    mace spec - str gemming since with 2pc t9 bonus you are basically at the arp cap with a trinket proc.

as for me, i run mace spec to get me to the arp softcap for my trinket, and gem full str to boost my ap.

i think i only have 1 yellow socket in my pvp gear and its in my boots, where i put in a 10str/10hit to reach the hit cap. everything else is either 20 str or 10str/15stam. and a nightmare tear in my relentless mace.
    It is correct that gems won't make or break a good player. However it will help you on your way to whatever goals you have.

@OP:

In all three weaponspecs geming for ArP is better then str regardless of what trinket you have. Yes, even against priests with inner fire. Your overall dps will increase if you go full out on ArP.

If you'd like to read about people asking the exact same question as you I would recommend Correct PvP ArP info for Warrs - Arena Junkies Forums
    There is actually some math there aswell.

I have been in the same situation as you and every other day dream about not having to care about ArP and focusing on what I think is the warrior way (str <3). But after trying out both myself, I can't do anything but support the majority of theorycrafters and say: Go ArP.

The worse your gear the less it matters whether you go str or arp. One of the top warriors in the world (I think he is around 2800 rating) uses full strength gemming. Granted he's gimping himself by doing it but it makes a bigger different for him with his full relentless than it will for you. If your gear is really bad str > arp. If you have time check our landsoul's spreadsheet from elitistjerks.com or a program called rawr - they both let you plug in your gear and then you can replace all your gems and they'll give you their opinion on the subject

So basically if I change all of my gems over to ArP now I'll have 30-32% ArP in Battle Stance without any trinket boosting it up. Currently I don't have any PvE items good enough to replace some of my PvP gear.

Still worth it in the arena? I'd figure I should get a little better PvE gear to mix in with my PvP equipment, but I got a whisper from a skilled warrior on my realm that I should re-gem for Arp, no questions asked, and he had around 30% in battle stance himself, and that's without GT or Mjolnir Runestone.

i have ~51% arp in battle stance before a trinket proc, yet most of my gems are strength.

as i said before, the way you gem is going to depend on what weapon you use. axes and swords benefit the most from full arp gemming. maces give you 15% from your spec that you don't have to gem for if you have an arp trinket. that frees up alot of gem slots for strength, since in pvp you don't want to go past your soft cap.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Destruyen View Post
    i have ~51% arp in battle stance before a trinket proc, yet most of my gems are strength.

as i said before, the way you gem is going to depend on what weapon you use. axes and swords benefit the most from full arp gemming. maces give you 15% from your spec that you don't have to gem for if you have an arp trinket. that frees up alot of gem slots for strength, since in pvp you don't want to go past your soft cap.

That's faulty logic. ArP benefits from ArP. Mace spec gives ArP therefore mace spec benefits MORE from ArP than sword/axe spec. If I remember correctly soft cap for ArP is ~57% w/grim toll and around 53% with runestone.

yes the more arp you have the better point for point it is. but why would you gem past soft cap for pvp? its not like in pve where you will always be on a mob. due to cc, snares, pillar humping, you will see a higher uptime of your arp trinket on target since the icd is going even you your sitting in a poly. which means most of your arp gems will go to waste more often since you dont get a benefit past 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarock View Post
    That's faulty logic.
    tell zamos, veev, and many more top end arena warriors that their logic is faulty...
    Last edited by Destruyen; 11-30-2009 at 07:12 AM.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

+ Reply to Thread