+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Healing Grid Tutorial

Ah. I've been getting d/c a lot recently.
    Thank you ;_;

Very nice guide Aliena.
    Have you ever used Vuhdo?
    I'm using it right now and I'm wondering if I should switch to grid.

Quote Originally Posted by Leitha View Post
    I've GridIndicatorCornerPlus. This adds a few more points into the corners.
    so you can have more then one symbol in a corner.

Here u can see i have in the right upper corner shield and prayer of mending. In the middel my renew and the point there on the left is the weakened soul debuff which is even visible if someone has aggro.

I only see my own shield, prayer and renew as a symbol, but i see every weakened soul debuff.

I just got grid today. How did you get real icons and not just colored indicators?

Awesome guide Aliena!

Just a small question, is it possible to configure it to show when ssomeone have Beacon of Light on them? like the icon or something?

Sure is Xemmas! I actually do this myself.

First, open up the Grid config, then go to Status>Auras. You should see a couple boxes, one for add new buff, the other for add new debuff. Type Beacon of Light into the add new buff box and hit enter. Now if you expand auras by clicking on the + next to it, you should see a Buff: Beacon of Light option there. Click on it and you can change it's colour etc. For me, it's yellow, and only shows mine beacon on a target.

Next, you go up to frame, select which part of the frame you want it to show up on, and make sure that Buff: Beacon of Light is checked. I have it on the bottom left corner. I've done the same thing with sacred shield, and have it on the bottom right corner.

Ka Pai, GMT+12 recruiting now!

awesome! thanks a lot!!
    =)

Quote Originally Posted by guinnesshero View Post
    I just got grid today. How did you get real icons and not just colored indicators?
    It's the indicatorcornerplus mod that was mentioned that shows icons. I got it today to see if it was that, and it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Odene View Post
    It's the indicatorcornerplus mod that was mentioned that shows icons. I got it today to see if it was that, and it was.

cool thanks ill Dl it and play with it.

Vuhdo vs. Grid+clique

To people who have used both...
    Are they all that different? Does one have an edge over the other?

I have recently joined a new guild and they are *really* encouraging me to use Grid...
    I am not sure it is worth the hassle or the risk, I am just starting ToGC and new content very soon.

I have never had any issues with Vuhdo not being up to date even when new content is released. New boss debuffs and abilities are always marked on my frames. It seems like a hassle to have to go in and add abilities/debuffs to an addon...

The only downfall is that it does not switch my spells over when I change specs, but I have gotten used to reloading it.

Any thoughts?

May God Bless you, Aliena!

I've been struggling to find a well written guide on grid for my tank main and healer alts. Your guide is just what I needed. Thank you!

Many thanks for this great guide. I've been using Grid + Clique with my Holy priest for a while now, and I really wish I'd found a thread like this when I first started with Grid.

How do you heal?

I saw your tutorial about grid. But what I'm wondering about is how you actually heal with it? How do you get your spells in it? Or do you just click the dude that needs healing, select them and then use hotkeys?
    Also, can I save different grid settings? I would like to get grid to work as healing addon for when I'm healing, and as just a normal raid UI for when I'm tanking. But if I use the healing settings, that takes to much place on my screen.

Greetings,
    Specktrum - Runetotem EU

I use the Clique addon with Grid to actually cast the spells. Clique allows you to bind things from your spellbook to mouse-clicks. e.g. I have Flash Heal=control-left click, Greater Heal=shift-left-click. To cast Flash Heal on a party member I just do control-left click on their Grid square or portrait.

Other people swear by mouseover macros. Here's an example from a guildie:

#showtooltip Healing Touch
    /cast [target=mouseover,help,nodead][help][target=player] Healing Touch

When you hover your mouse over a player's Grid square or portrait and press the actionbar button, it casts on them not you.

I click on Grid to select my target and my heals are all hotkeyed.

You can save individual profiles for Grid. I've got one profile for healing on my priest and another profile for other roles/toons using Grid as a basic raid frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Dystra View Post
    I use the Clique addon with Grid to actually cast the spells. Clique allows you to bind things from your spellbook to mouse-clicks. e.g. I have Flash Heal=control-left click, Greater Heal=shift-left-click. To cast Flash Heal on a party member I just do control-left click on their Grid square or portrait.

Other people swear by mouseover macros. Here's an example from a guildie:

#showtooltip Healing Touch
    /cast [target=mouseover,help,nodead][help][target=player] Healing Touch

When you hover your mouse over a player's Grid square or portrait and press the actionbar button, it casts on them not you.
    What are mouseover macros? How do they work?

I'll try and explain a bit better...

Normally, the healing spells you cast will land on your currently-selected target. So to heal someone you have to a) select them as your target, and b) cast the spell.

This is a bit clunky, especially when you're in a hurry.

There are a couple of nice ways of missing out the first step, so that you can cast a spell on someone without having to select them as your target first.

One way is to use the Clique addon, which allows you to cast a spell on someone just by clicking on their portrait (or their square in Grid). This is what I use, and I think it's great.

Another way is to use mouseover macros. They allow you to cast a spell on whoever your mouse is hovering over by just pressing a key. So, suppose your spell was Flash Heal. Instead of just putting the Flash Heal spell directly on your action bar, you'd create the following macro and drop it on your bar instead:

#showtooltip Flash Heal
    /cast [target=mouseover,help,nodead][help][target=player] Flash Heal

This macro basically says "cast Flash Heal on whoever the mouse is currently over." Put it in the action bar slot for the 2 key. When you hover your mouse over a party member's picture and press 2, Flash Heal will get cast on them.

You can make one of these for each of your healing spells, set them up on an action bar, and off you go.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Dystra View Post
    I'll try and explain a bit better...

Normally, the healing spells you cast will land on your currently-selected target. So to heal someone you have to a) select them as your target, and b) cast the spell.
    This is true...to an extent but not the whole information for the default ui. If your target is a friendly target then any spells you cast without using addons or macros will target the friendly target, yes. However, if the target is a hostile target, or you have no target, a beneficial spell will be "held" on your cursor. You can then either select someone or click on their bar in a raid frame to cast the spell on them. If you do it on the raid / party frame, it won't select the target, keeping you on the hostile target or with no target. There is only one drawback to this method, and that is if you accidently target a friendly person or have auto-self cast on this function will not work.

Why bring this up? Mostly for people who think it's a damnable offense to think people aren't using addons or mouse over macros. The only reason I use vuhdo is because I like to have a tank targeted and click-cast heal on raid members if needed. That and the default raid frame is rubbish for buff / debuff reporting.

I find mouseover macros to be a terrible pain when moving with the mouse but still wanting to cast.

I don't really have that problem because all but one of my spells require me to stop moving to cast anyway.

Hmm I adjusted all ur settings (except for text since I didn't have that one) and just wondering 1 thing. How did you get yours to be rectangle meaning stretch out the horizontal mine still looks like squares I can ss if needed

+ Reply to Thread