+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First time as protection..

First time as protection..

Here is my character: The World of Warcraft Armory

I would like to know what else I can do to my gear to get 540 defense to be capped and also some advice on my talents

Again this is my first time tanking and anything will help me out thanks..

It looks like there are plenty of enchants you are missing that would get you to the cap; helm, chest, and cloak are all missing enchants. Seems like you have a lot of enchants and gemming you can do. Can't help you with the talents much, I would just recommend copying the spec of one of the better prot paladins out there.

Change your spec
    The World of Warcraft Armory

Get the rest of your glyphs.
    Enchant and socket everything.

With a chest and cloak enchant you'd be over 540 def. A few heroic runs and you'll be able to upgrade some pieces, either by drops or by badge gear.

Get both your BS and Mining up, as they both provide good stam increases (Mining through profession bonus and BS through extra sockets)

How come you don't take the SoV glyph out of interest, Niian?

Quote Originally Posted by Mert View Post
    How come you don't take the SoV glyph out of interest, Niian?
    I was seeing how well the Hammer glyph worked out. It's great for trash and absolutely useless in boss fights.

Not sure when I'll be back in WoW, so my armoury will show no SoV glyph for a while
    When I do go back in tho, it is the first thing that's changing.

What glyphs do I need and what enchants and what sockets would be best for each piece of gear I got. Again first time tanking don't know much about the gear. Would be awesome if someone could tell me what's best for each piece of my gears thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Niian View Post
    Change your spec
    The World of Warcraft Armory

Get the rest of your glyphs.
    Enchant and socket everything.

With a chest and cloak enchant you'd be over 540 def. A few heroic runs and you'll be able to upgrade some pieces, either by drops or by badge gear.

Get both your BS and Mining up, as they both provide good stam increases (Mining through profession bonus and BS through extra sockets)

Gemming and enchanting is basically : Get stamina. If you want socket bonuses, get hybrids with stamina(agility, dodge and expertise are good purples, while defense and hit are good greens).
    Enchanting doesn't deviate from that much, though I personally keep a couple defense enchants just because they have that much more "budget" on them(chest and shield - defense). The rest is going to be about maximizing stamina as usual. The shoulder and head enchants are straightforward: Argent Crusade and Hodir enchants.

While there are interesting quirks, like gloves, weapons and boots, you want to follow this trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz4690 View Post
    What glyphs do I need and what enchants and what sockets would be best for each piece of gear I got. Again first time tanking don't know much about the gear. Would be awesome if someone could tell me what's best for each piece of my gears thanks!
    Enchants
    Helm - Arcanum of the Stalwart Protector - Item - World of Warcraft
    Shoulder - Greater Inscription of the Pinnacle - Item - World of Warcraft
    Cloak - Enchant Cloak - Titanweave - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Chest - Enchant Chest - Powerful Stats - Spell - World of Warcraft or Enchant Chest - Greater Defense - Spell - World of Warcraft if you need defence
    Bracers - Enchant Bracers - Major Stamina - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Gloves - Enchant Gloves - Armsman - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Legs - Frosthide Leg Armor - Item - World of Warcraft
    Boots - Enchant Boots - Greater Fortitude - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Shield - Enchant Shield - Defense - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Weapon - I personally use Enchant Weapon - Blade Ward - Spell - World of Warcraft at the moment, but a cheap alternative is Titanium Weapon Chain - Item - World of Warcraft

Gems
    Solid Majestic Zircon - Item - World of Warcraft in pretty much every socket.
    If the armour piece has a socket bonus of +9 or +12 stamina aim to get the bonus.
    For a red socket use Shifting Dreadstone - Item - World of Warcraft
    For a yellow socket use Enduring Eye of Zul - Item - World of Warcraft
    Meta use Austere Earthsiege Diamond - Item - World of Warcraft

Glyphs
    Glyph of Divine Plea - Item - World of Warcraft <- must have
    Glyph of Righteous Defense - Item - World of Warcraft <- recommended if you have low hit rating, so your taunts don't miss
    Glyph of Seal of Vengeance - Item - World of Warcraft <- must have, unless you're expertise capped which is unlikely

You can use Glyph of Salvation - Item - World of Warcraft instead of Righteous Defence, however due to the recent threat nerf I'm not a big fan of losing that much threat just for incoming damage reduction. It would be useful if you're tanking an add by yourself while everyone else is DPSing something else.

As for minor glyphs
    Glyph of Sense Undead - Item - World of Warcraft <- wonderful for undead fights. Extra 1% damage!
    Glyph of Lay on Hands - Item - World of Warcraft
    Glyph of Blessing of Kings - Item - World of Warcraft

Minor glyphs don't really matter much, except for sense undead.

+ Reply to Thread