+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weapon Upgrade and Chant Question

Weapon Upgrade and Chant Question

Hi folks. Got my first clear of ToC10 last night and I won Crusaders Glory (ilvl 232 version). I've been using Last Laugh for a long time. It doesn't seem like a huge upgrade but due to the slightly faster speed, lots of armor, and a little more DPS I'm still calling it an upgrade. Oh and the racial expertise bonus is nice too (Human + Sword).

I've spent some time reading all the arguments about weapon enchants. I've been using accuracy on my Last Laugh since I got it. Right now I'm mostly tanking Ony, VOA, and TOC in both 10M and 25M. (We have no true MT so we swap who does what for tanking quite a bit so we all get practice). I've also tanked a couple of the ToC10 Heroic mode.

For the current tank weapon enchants here is what I believe is the case (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Blood Draining for Effective Health
    Blade Ward for Avoidance
    Accuracy for Threat

Since I'm late getting into all the 3.2 stuff (I took the whole summer off from WoW). Most of our DPS and Healers out gear me. Due to this I'm thinking of going with Accuracy again on my new weapon but I'd like some input from other tanks before I spend the money.

Thanks for any help with this one.

Well threat can be deceiving. I think a post to your armory would help, as we can have a look at your current gearing/spec/etc. and give you some more tailored advice. What I mean by deceiving is that it will change between the different tank classes, and dps is not a viable means of calculating your threat output... ie. a warrior will put out far less dps than say a paladin would or a dk, but still hold aggro.

For the enchant, you can actually use mongoose as a threat enchant as well as accuracy, and it may have a bit more utility in terms of survivability as well. I personally prefer bladeward on my current weapon/gear setup, but it is a preference thing. I would say post an armory link and I'm sure people can give you some more advice.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Thanks Mellvar. Unfortunately I logged out in my DPS gear last night. I'll post an armory in my tank gear as soon as I can and probably move this to the HALP section.

I have used Accuracy for quite some time now but since I am way over the hit cap, I am looking to change also. My armory is here... I have read some of the discussions of Mongoose, Bladeward, or Blood Draining.... but am still not overly sure. I am looking for both avoidance and threat so I am leaning toward Bladeward... any help would be appreciated....

bladeward's threat benefits are apparently actually pretty marginal. If you want a balance between avoidance and threat, I'd go with mongoose, though personally I think threat from proper rotation/talents are more than enough and I prefer the higher avoidance of either bladeward or more EHP from blood draining (blood draining is currently my favorite, I think it's law or something right now that I'm the general EHP slut in these parts now =P ).
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

If you're into heroic modes on a regular basis, you really cant go wrong with blood draining. While i really like mongoose, i feel it no longer has the same benefit as it did in TBC. Accuracy or the cheaper weapon chain are better threat tools imo. I havent used bladeward yet and i probably never will. I just seem to get convinced about the benefits.

Go read the Mongoose over Blooddraining? thread - not a lot on Accuracy, but it covers the pros and cons of Blood Draining, Mongoose and Bladeward.

Edited for bad link.

it actually depends..
    Blade ward will give you more avoidance, but as Blizzard stated it; tanks are getting too much avoidance than its healthy for the raid..

Mongoose will give you avoidance/armor/threat

Blood Draining will (not directly) give you about 2k extra HP

Accuracy will give you threat

There is actually no way to say "This is the best tanking enchant"... it's situational..

the one that i could call the "best one" is probabbly mongoose because it has everything and can be used for everything, but if you want to be a better tank, have many weapons enchanted with the different enchants for the different situations...

I use blood draining on my main weapon - mostly since doing togc, but in the past i've used accuracy when i lacked hit. I'll probably keep blood draining for icecrown as less avoidance means im more likely to get low regularly and proc it (like the happy days of the magisters terrace trinket in sunwell).
    Xíanth <Valkyria>

+ Reply to Thread