+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: whats up with stam stackers

whats up with stam stackers

Im a decently geared tank on Draka an Ive been noticing A LOT of stam stackers on my sever the have less quality gear then me it seems a wast of gems to me when all the realy have is 540 def or higher and the rest of their sockets have nothing but stam in it or the have both of the brewmaster trinkits ><. can someone tell what is up with this current trend. also if you want take a look at my gear as see if im over killing it on my stats im currently siting at 84.4% total DR 32244 unbuffed

The World of Warcraft Armory

2 letters E H
    Effective health that is why everyone is stam stacking and i've gotten most of my avoidance form gear so why gem for it?

People stack stamina because avoidance is crap in ToGC. If you plan on doing heroic raids, stack stamina.

There's better threads for this, I think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Stamina stacking extends the range of Ardent Defender.
    Base avoidance on TotC/TotGC gear puts you close to 60% pure avoidance even with straight stamina gemming/enchants.

What's not to love?
    | Baleog | Paladin | <Eminent> | Crushridge-US (PvP) |
    Loot management based on real-world economics: EminentDKP

People stack stamina because the encounters demand it with their huge, mostly unavoidable damage spikes. It's not a choice so much as it is a requirement.

Just looking at your armory, you're far far below the EH you should be at for your gear level because you're gemming for things like parry rating and defense rating even though you're at 569 defense. Despite all that you're only at about 56-57% total avoidance rate. And because those ratings don't scale with buffs, they get far less benefit than just stamina would.

There's a lot of other threads about this, but in short if you don't pump your EH as high as it'll go, you're just going to get gibbed by the harder hitting bosses in ToGC. Avoidance won't do a thing to save you, not one little bit.

I didn't buy into the Stam stacking until I started tanking ToCr 10 and 25; now I'm a believer. I even dual speced into Blood tanking for the extra healing and stam. I'm sitting around 37k unbuffed and want more.

armor is doing the same job...increases your eh

There's no armor gems, few armor enchants compared to stamina, armor doesn't scale with raid buffs/talents in most cases, and in many cases the damage that you're worried about as a tank is in whole or in part non-physical and unaffected by armor.

That said, armor has its uses in some situations. But most often it's just not as effective at the same job as stamina is.

Quote Originally Posted by tribute View Post
    armor is doing the same job...increases your eh
    Unless a portion of the incoming damage is not physical. like most fights in togc... or uld.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

the magic things don't tend to get you as fast as a heroic gormok

but yeah, I agree with that, from fight to fight it's different and stam is the right thing for every job :/ (hate stam stacking -_-)

Stamina isn't the right thing for every job, but it does do SOMETHING in every job (save Anub'arak, which actively punishes the stam stacker).

For EH, more often than not armor will beat stamina per itemization point.
    For MEH, more often than not resistance will beat stamina per itemization point (compare 102 stamina vs 70 resistance, for instance).

But resistance does nothing vs. physical attacks. Armor does nothing vs. magical.

So...if you want an all-around okay stat, stamina is it. But if you're really pushing things, look to armor or resistance as another, possibly better option.

Eh, I don't see how you can tank with a fishing pole as a weapon.....

(joking mate)

So...if you want an all-around okay stat, stamina is it. But if you're really pushing things, look to armor or resistance as another, possibly better option.
    Yeah...I know the thread was initially meant to address paladins, but from a druid standpoint that stamina is so cheap on item budget, scales so absurdly well with bear form modifiers, scales with raid buffs (well, kings) quite well and helps with everything. (Except leeching swarm, heh.)

If I had the gear, time and math at hand all the time to switch around stats to have a perfect balance of stamina and armor/resistance for every fight, I would. But generally I just don't. Even on a fight like Gormok I'm comparing my Brewfest trinket to Glyph of Indomitability and just kind of shaking my head.

That's true. I guess I'm finding that more and more the fights that really actively challenge a tank in terms of dying are few and far between, and more often than not either armor or resistance will help in those specific cases more than pure stamina will.

Or, more likely, cooldown usage.

It just doesn't seem like every boss hits tanks like a truck relative to healing any more. BT, for instance - it had arguably 6 of the 9 bosses that could just clobber a tank without thinking about it. Sunwell was 4/6 (twins and KJ weren't that bad). But Ulduar? It's what, maybe 3 fights max? ToC has 2 of 5, and of the two only one is particularly awesome for stam.

Icecrown might be different, but so far it looks like most fights are more overall raid damage and do the right thing in them.

I just need to sit down and do the math to figure out approximately how hard each boss hits and what benefit I'd be getting from using armor vs. stamina on any given fight. I'm just really anal about exact numbers and such.

It's not a matter of "current trend", people have been stacking stamina since as early as burning crusade.

And dispite I dislike this way to do things, it's sadly the most efficient way to gear a tank.

Thx for the reply's its helped answer a lot of questions. and i agree with Bovinity my EH is really low only 97577 unbuffed and those gems......... where a miss gem and i was just able to replace them. but i dont agree with just strait stam in every socket imo u still need parry exp and doge.

27% dodge, 21% parry, 52 expertise....only non stam gem i got is a 10exp/15stam one for the meta. dodge (especially)and parry are getting into pretty harsh diminishing returns. Stamina has no diminishing returns. expertise is almost capped. Stamina has no cap. yeah you need avoidance and expertise but they're not that important unless your tanking trash packs

plus its fun parachuting in to WG fortress with 20 tenacity and having a raid boss like health pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Risky View Post
    People stack stamina because avoidance is crap in ToGC. If you plan on doing heroic raids, stack stamina.

There's better threads for this, I think.

I think a more apropriate responce should have been to balance your avoidance and mitigation stats to maximise your damage reduction while ensuring you have enough health to survive an unlucky hit string or in case your healers fall asleep.

While it is very important to ensure you can survive the big hits, the majority of ToGC is not all about big hits killing tanks. Its about proper execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Purinna View Post
    I think a more apropriate responce should have been to balance your avoidance and mitigation stats to maximise your damage reduction while ensuring you have enough health to survive an unlucky hit string or in case your healers fall asleep.

While it is very important to ensure you can survive the big hits, the majority of ToGC is not all about big hits killing tanks. Its about proper execution.
    #1 See OP. The one I answered.

#2 If you're in ToGC, odds are you have enough avoidance on your gear to completely stack stamina. So please, don't listen to this advice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread