+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ToC HC and gear help (DK)

ToC HC, gear help and getting booting from groups

Hi All,

First of all ill post my char:

WoW Heroes - World of Warcraft PvE character info & ratings

This is my first post so please be gentle

Now i keep getting booted out of groups for ToC 5 hc saying my hp is low.
    Im 26.9k HP unbuffed 29k buffed in frost presence (blood tanking build). My armour is 23k, parry 15% and dodge 21%

I was lucky enough to stay in a group last week for 3 runs and they went ok i only died once on the 3 champs out of those runs.
    Me being confident i can do it now going into those 3 i have put myself up to tank in pugs daily, but now i keep getting booted out saying my HP isnt enough and none believe me when i say i have done it oko previously. One guy even said my score werent high enough!? Like score has any true rating.

I have been told by a mate to just work on heroics and naxx25 or something to get rid of the few blues i have but i really want the toc 5 gear aswell. I like to do a daily toc runs and then go onto heroics like i have done on my DPS.

What are the definite caps for ToC 5 HC? (my def is 541 anyway) Are they the same as Ulduar 10?

Also is there a spec better than the blood tank spec which i am using.. I thought it was great personally but are there improvements to be made using frost again? i was advised against it as it got nerfed i believe. One priest claimed i was an amateur for not using a frost spec (he checked me up on armoury and still said i werent capped)

Thanks in advance.

Makka

P.s - Great site!
    Last edited by makkaveli; 11-09-2009 at 05:59 AM.

H ToC is on par with Naxx10. The problem really is that people want to "breeze" through everything and don't take anyone else into consideration most of the time.

Tanks and heals have it harder in this regard because you can carry a crappy DPS through, but you don't want a "bad" tank or heals because they'll cause a wipe. Not saying you're "bad" but people are just cautious in whom they select to tank if they can help it.

I'd suggest working on other heroics and getting your T8.5 head/chest from the vendor as well as the necklace, pants, and whatever else you can buy with badges and you can gather together from heroics. Then you should be more than ready, according to "them," to tank H ToC.

T8.5 stuff is the conquest gear right?

Thanks mate ill get working on it. Hate running constant heroics its such a bore but oh well its got to be done sooner or later.

Hopefully soon ill be back asking for advise on TOTC :P

JokerFMJ is exactly right, it's pretty easy to carry a weak dps through but a lesser geared tank or healer is an issue that many people simply don't want to deal with. I have a warlock who is very well geared in toc25/t9 gear and when I join a 5man pug I could care less about the other dps because i know I can carry the group myself for dps - but if the tank isn't geared pretty well I'm not too interested in spending my time on wipes for a complete stranger. It's not meant to be mean, it just is what it is.

That being said, what I wound up doing to overcome this with my DK tank is that I started running 5mans and raids as DPS, rolled on tank gear and saved all my badges for the tier8 head/chest items. Once I hit the magic 30k unbuffed health I started tanking 5mans with a friend who is a pally healer. It may be easier to find a group as a tank or healer than dps but that should carry the qualification - if you are a "well-geared" tank/healer it is easy to find a pug. If you're not as well-geared, then it's easier to go as dps because there is more room for error.

As for your gear, some general thoughts...
    Make sure you run toc5 normal as many times as necessary until you get all the tank and plate pieces out of there. Since you often join a "toc5 normal farm" this shouldn't be a problem.
    Obviously you want to run toc5 heroic every day as well and get all the pieces out of there too.
    Put together some kind of halfway decent dps set and run OS10/25, voa10/25, and onyxia10/25 every week. These are all easy pugs and it's pretty easy to get in one as DPS even with mediocre gear whereas no one will let you tank those 25s with halfway gear.
    Put the threat boosting enchant on your gloves. Once you get the badges for the tier8 head/chest your stamina will take a decent jump and you'll be in much better shape too.

Quote Originally Posted by zuke8675309 View Post
    JokerFMJ is exactly right, it's pretty easy to carry a weak dps through but a lesser geared tank or healer is an issue that many people simply don't want to deal with. I have a warlock who is very well geared in toc25/t9 gear and when I join a 5man pug I could care less about the other dps because i know I can carry the group myself for dps - but if the tank isn't geared pretty well I'm not too interested in spending my time on wipes for a complete stranger. It's not meant to be mean, it just is what it is.

That being said, what I wound up doing to overcome this with my DK tank is that I started running 5mans and raids as DPS, rolled on tank gear and saved all my badges for the tier8 head/chest items. Once I hit the magic 30k unbuffed health I started tanking 5mans with a friend who is a pally healer. It may be easier to find a group as a tank or healer than dps but that should carry the qualification - if you are a "well-geared" tank/healer it is easy to find a pug. If you're not as well-geared, then it's easier to go as dps because there is more room for error.

As for your gear, some general thoughts...
    Make sure you run toc5 normal as many times as necessary until you get all the tank and plate pieces out of there. Since you often join a "toc5 normal farm" this shouldn't be a problem.
    Obviously you want to run toc5 heroic every day as well and get all the pieces out of there too.
    Put together some kind of halfway decent dps set and run OS10/25, voa10/25, and onyxia10/25 every week. These are all easy pugs and it's pretty easy to get in one as DPS even with mediocre gear whereas no one will let you tank those 25s with halfway gear.
    Put the threat boosting enchant on your gloves. Once you get the badges for the tier8 head/chest your stamina will take a decent jump and you'll be in much better shape too.

ive now got all the tank gear from toc hc and im working on other heroics for badges.

i urgently need to replace my legs and wrists! they both suck atm (ok for entry but not now).

i have a decent set of dps gears which will take me as far as ulduar 10. Guess the best way is not to join pugs with dk tanks as i wont be able to roll for tank spec in dps spec unless unneeded by tank.

ill keep at it. Thanks for the advice all

+ Reply to Thread