+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Block Rating or Block Value???

Block Rating or Block Value???

Hello, i just have a Small question about that, i mean;
    when i see people gearing for block (for stuff like tanking adds or something) i always see that they have a lot of Block % (rating)..
    but i have a doubt here..

I have more than 102.4% avoidance, but my block % (rating) is pretty low compared to other "blocking tanks" i've seen (i have 20%).. But i've been gearing for Block Value, because as i see things, if i already have more than 102.4% avoidance, i shouldn't need more block% since every incoming hit is gonna be blocked (if not dodge/parry/miss)..

So.. what would be the point of having huge amounts of block rating if you already block everything?? Isn't it better to get block value at that point so the incoming attacks hit for a smaller amount??

(i am a paladin BTW)
    Last edited by Kazeyonoma; 11-16-2009 at 10:34 AM.

First of all, are you at 102.4 with or without holy shield in place. If its with then its irrevalent for tanking adds on heroic anub since the adds will chew through the charges before the cooldown is up. The reason the other people have so much block % on their block sets is that it has a much better conversion ratio (rating to %) than dodge/parry and thus is easier to stack to get Passively unhittable. Above 102.4% passive unhittability, block value >> block rating as you're blocking more / hit.

If not specifically gearing for tanking anub adds, then holy shield can be usually be added to the unhittable % and block value then is more valuable than block rating as you're already avoiding/blocking every hit.

Ohh ok Thnx...

Well with my block gear i hit like 2400BV without buffs, and i haven't tried it yet on anub's adds, i always use my hp gear lol... That's why i didn't knew the charges go off before the cooldown...

That means i should have about 40 or 50% block to get unhittable for THAT fight.. right??

And another thing, kinda new on the Block thing (i started tanking when block was pretty much useless)... is there another way to get block rating than just from gear block rating??

There is 1 old-school enchant for block rating for a shield, but that's pretty-much it. And getting a set that is 101.8% (for anub adds) passive unhittable takes a very specific gearset min/maxxing in every slot for avoidance (usually defense)

So it would mean to gem everything with defense and get the 25naxx ?? lol sounds funny :P...

hmn i have a lot of stuff to do... Thnx

Go look at Badga/Finkill's Anub'Arak add tanking guide, it is very detailed and can probably answer any question you might have, there's also an article somewhere on maintankadin that discusses pally add tanking on heroic anub'arak 25.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

From looking at your armoury, you are currently only 1/5 TOGC 25, so you have a little while yet before you need an unhittable set for Anub. You can tank the adds in 25 normal TOC just fine with normal tanking gear. Its only 25 Heroic Anub that having an unhittable set is recommended. Still, you should consider collecting the various items required for an unhittable set so you are ready for when you get to Anub Heroic, as some of them are pretty hard to get (in terms of convincing your guildies to go back to naxx to farm the items that drop in there).

Yeah, kinda hard to get even a pug to 25naxx because nothing there is usefull, not even the emblems, i mean, if you need emblems, you can go run heroics lol...
    And yeah, i am getting ready for that moment, but also trying to see if there is a way to help my healers at anub 10man heroic, i mean, we nuke the thing easy, and i always use my hp gear (for offtanking), but i wanted to see if there was a way to reduce the damage recieved from adds, but i dont know how hard they hit (i had a shitty computer so i had all the damage income turned off)...

but still being unhittable (Without holy shield) is only needed to do single tank at 25man heroic anub, right?? because i dont think two adds can smash your charges before cooldown, or.. can they??

This is Great but lol i am a warrior tank. So because the new tanking gear that is dropping in 10 n 25 ToC have no Block Rating on them... and the Tier 232 n 245 n 258 have only Block Value on it. I assume that Block Rate on gear is no longer a concern. Is it Block Value? Currently my dodge is 25.34% Parry 21.92 Block 20.28 def is 565 and my hp is 26241... so do i go with the Block Value n forget about the Block rate gear i have on? The World of Warcraft Armory
    check my toon out and please help me lol
    Thanks
    Bestiarius, Ravencrest realm
    Last edited by Best; 11-15-2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added name

if your gearing for the unhittable set for ANUB, you dont want stamina, you dont need ilvl 245 for everything. You look at the gear guides that are on the other posts and thats the gear you need broken down over 2 pieces of gear for each spot. UNTIL you get to 101.8% you NEED block rating. And you gem for defense, unless your gemming for your meta gem, then u try to use some kind of avoidance gems...

It took me about 2 weeks to get my unhittable set, im still missing 2 upgrades to it, but i have the lower end option for each of those slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Holynite View Post
    101.8% you NEED block rating. And you gem for defense, unless your gemming for your meta gem, then u try to use some kind of avoidance gems...
    101.6% and http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/5...ing-guide.html

Granted warriors are a bit different from pallys it still gives you a general idea of how to gem/enchant/itemize.
    Finkill | <Rush> | US Horde | Dark Iron
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...inkill&gn=Rush

Actually the Toc gear with block is mitigation, armor is better because block mitigation can fail sometimes...
    It's also threat... but yeah, if you're trying to be an Avoidance tank as warrior, you need about 98% "unhittable rating" unbuffed... If you're going for MT... then go for Stamina (if you're tanking toc)... but pretty much even the OTs need to have a big a mount of stamina

+ Reply to Thread