+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Combat Logging for Fun and Profit

Combat Logging for Fun and Profit

I find myself in quite a conundrum and I need some help.

I've been trying to put together a "How-To Read Combat Log Parses" guide on my guild forums for a few days now and every time I sit down to try and write the section on actually interpreting the data presented on sites like World of Logs and WoW Web Stats I run into a problem:

I don't know how to actually interpret the presented data for characters other than the ones I actually know how to play because how you need to interpret the data changes from class to class and spec to spec!

For example:

When reading a parse for my warlock after a raid as Demonology, I can tell the differences between a good boss and a bad boss based on the difference between the minimum, average, and maximum Shadow Bolt hit/crits. The higher my average shadowbolt damage is over my minimum, the better I used Metamorphosis and the same goes for my crits. The higher my maximum crits are over the average, the better I used my trinkets (and any encounter-specific damage buffs). And, of course, the more Soulfires, the better I did during the execute phase.

Conversely, I don't know how to read meters for an affliction warlock. I haven't played one regularly since Karazhan in Burning Crusade and I'm still trying to figure Destruction out (the 'lock doesn't see much play time these days).

What I'm looking for is people's thoughts--the what's and why's--of combat log parse interpretation for the different roles (in general), classes, and specs.

Especially why. I love hearing why people do what they do because it helps me do what I do better. Any insight is appreciated.

One of the best ways to see how you're doing is in comparison to people within your guild, but also other guilds as well. I know our DPS is constantly reviewing logs from other guilds on World of Logs to see how they fair in comparison. Casters I know focus a lot on # of spells cast in that time frame to see if they fall in comparison.

Hope this helps a bit.

+ Reply to Thread