+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ready for Ulduar Offtanking?, and Other Questions

Ready for Ulduar Offtanking?, and Other Questions

The World of Warcraft Armory

Hello, TankSpot! I'm a Draenei Warrior Tank who's currently gearing up for raids, and I've been lurking here for the last... six months? Maybe a year. All the information I found here so far has been extremely helpful (specially Cider's 540 Defense guide!), so I hope you guys can lend me a hand.

With the release of Trial of the Champion/Crusader and the gear reset it brought, I'm currently confused as to what my current gear level would allow me to tank/offtank. I'm usually at 28k health after buffs in Heroics, and I can hold my own very well in most situations (regardless of what those idiots requiring a 35k HP tank for Heroic Old Kingdom PuG say,) as long as DPS gives me six seconds before laying down the AoE. I have offtanked Naxxramas with just a couple non-gear-related issues, and all healers I've worked with so far say I'm easy to keep topped off. So here are my questions:

1 - What should I use for my last Major Glyph? Blocking? I sometimes have a bit of trouble with AoE pulls when the 4k+ DPS Mage doesn't let me get my usual Thunder Clap, Shockwave, Thunder Clap starter in, so maybe Glyph of Cleaving would be in order?

2 - I'm reasonably close to the hit cap (Heroic Presence rocks!), should I gem for +Hit until I'm capped, or should I just keep doing as I'm doing and stack some more +Stamina to keep the "35k HP or GTFO my Heroics group" crowd at bay? Don't mind the non-epic gems, I'm working on them.

3 - Looking at my gear, can you see any upgrades I could still find in Heroics? I've been grinding Utgarde (both dungeons) for a while, trying to get one of the +Def swords to drop, but RNG hasn't been nice to me lately.

4 - Anything wrong with my spec? I've been using it as my grinding spec as well (love Arms, can't take the downtime), so it's slightly more DPS-focused than my previous spec. Should I try to go for more survivability?

5 - What am I ready to (off)tank, anyway? What do I need to MT Naxx (even though no one does that anymore) or OT Ulduar?

Thanks for your time, and I'm looking forward to your replies! I hope I didn't ask any no-brainers or brought up things that have been beaten to death already. I used to tank as a Paladin in early BC, but so many things have changed since then, I feel like I'm having to learn everything all over again.
    Last edited by Argol; 11-04-2009 at 03:01 AM.

Check this out.

Back to Basics: I am 80, now what? - Warriors - TankingTips.com

It's a really nice summary for some of the questions you have.

1) The best two are Blocking and Devastate...the third is really a toss up depending on what you do.
    2) Dont gem for hit. I would personally avoid epic gems in anything under ilvl 226 gear. It seems kind of a waste to me.
    3) Sure lots of upgrades in heroics. Normal ToC as well. Heroics give you emblems which give you even better gear
    4) See the link above for a very good spec.
    5) Tanking heroics probably fine, I wouldn't waste time in Naxx unless you really want to. Personally I would be uncomfortable with you as an OT in Ulduar.

You really should try and get into as many heroics as you can. Keep working on the badge gear.

Enchant your gear. It sucks when you have to replace it, but thats really going to boost your stats in a lot of areas. Especially your epic gear. There is no reason not to have enchants on that stuff.

Oh yeah...get the weapon from the Argent Tournament if you can, its a guaranteed drop if you do enough dailies
    Last edited by Squeegiemama; 11-04-2009 at 03:10 AM.
    Vexed
    Bronzebeard - US

The poster above hit alot of the major things.

Get as much badge gear as you can. Also, run both Reg & Heroic ToC. There's several nice tanking items to be had there(The Black Heart from reg rocks as far as trinkets go).

I would also advise against gemming for hit. Expertise > hit for Prot warriors. You have a couple of +str & +sta gems, lose those. If you are going for the socket bonuses, go for +exp & +sta gems.

Your spec needs a bit of tweaking. Lose the points in Safeguard, it's more of a PvP talent. I'd put them in AtT the Fury tree. I'd go with a 15/3/51 spec since your specced into Deep Wounds.

Make sure you enchant everything! It can get expensive, sure. And alot of this gear you will be replacing in short order, so you don't have to break the bank on the best of everything. However, every little bit helps and shows people you take tanking seriously.

Make sure you have all your glyphs in place. Early on I had Blocking, Rev & HS. These can vary depending on your role and content you tank. I'd highly suggest Blocking glyph at your level of gearing. Cleave can help if you do alot of OTing.

Lastly, I am going to disagree a bit with the above poster. I think you should atleast run Naxx a few times. There's certainly a few pieces of gear you can use and if nothing else the experience will help. There's alot of fine details in tanking(positioning, CD management, raid awareness, etc), these are best learned in places more forgiving than say Ulduar. Honestly, your not geared enough for Ulduar, it's doubtful many people would take you unless it's a guild run with very geared people. Get some better pieces, get some experience and Ulduar will be alot less frustrating.

Good luck.

Yeh if you are 28k buffed you could get a lot of nice gear from naxx still, i took my newly dinged paladin in there with about the same HP and came out with about 8 items (the only other tank was well geared) and about 6k more hp

Generally i found glyph of cleaving to be good use in naxx because there's plenty of aoeing and multi mob tanking. Similar reason for glyph of blocking, lots of regular low level hits in naxx. Once you've got a bit of gear from there and toc5 you'll be pretty much ready for ulduar, and then you can change your glyphs to the more expected survival setup eg. shield wall + last stand + another

Thanks for the replies, everybody!

@Squeegiemama
    2- Not only it's a waste to use epic gems on this sort of gear (since the stuff -will- be replaced soonish), I don't have the money for it yet. I'm going to bug the guild Jewelcrafter to see what he can get me.

3- Of course! I'm running heroics as I can, what sucks is that my guild isn't that big and I'm around six hours off server time (daylight savings time suuuucks sometimes). Coupled with the server culture of only doing the daily heroic, it's kinda hard to get a group to do more than one Heroic a day. It should get better once I get over this current situation of limited playing time.

5- I'm only talking about running Naxx because my guild does Naxx runs every week or so for fun and to get some gear to those who need it. Since they're already doing it, I figured I could use the loot and the experience.

I'm working on my Tournament stuff, but seriously... I need a lot more work with jousting. Can't even beat the three Valiants a day I need for the Valiant's Charge in less than forty-five minutes. Which is weird, since I can do the mounted phase of Faction Champions just fine! I think there is some lag on the normal world server that isn't there in the instance server and that throws me off when jousting.

@dirt
    Working on the badges, thanks a lot for the Normal ToC tip! Going to run it more to see if I can get that trinket to drop.

The +str gems were sort of a compromise, since I was having trouble finding gems with other useful stats I could afford. Will get that fixed soon.

Why the hell do I have Safeguard?! Will get that out of my spec ASAP!

Enchants... well... I'm gonna need to do quite a bit of farming, the best enchants are going for a lot, and since I haven't been able to get to the Tournament dailies yet, I'm a bit strapped for cash. No matter, I'll get those done eventually. The list on TankingTips is going to be really useful in that aspect!

As for Glyphs, I think I'm going to go with Blocking right now, and resort to Shield Slamming/Devastating some more on multi-mob pulls. I still need a bit of practice with it, but the results so far have been very promising (cut down AoE DPS wait time by half on 3-4 mob pulls today by slapping a couple Devs or SS on the non-focused mobs).

@Xianth
    Glyphing Shield Wall and Last Stand? Mhm, interesting. I haven't needed the extra survivability so far, but I'll keep that in mind once I move up a bit!

--

Well, time to re-gem, find new enchants for less than 100g a piece and keep working my way through Heroics and the occasional Naxx run. Thanks agains for your opinions, guys!

EDIT: just checking... after reaching iLevel 226 on most/all of my gear and enchant/gem it properly, what would the next step be?
    Last edited by Argol; 11-04-2009 at 05:18 PM.

You should be able to do toc 10 pretty easily if most of your gear is 226. Toc 25 as well i'd assume.

+ Reply to Thread