+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newb bear seeks advice....

Newb bear seeks advice....

Ok - so im new to the world of being a bear tank, but for some reason I cannot seem to hold aggro against:

Warlocks (no matter if they are undergeared)
    Balance druids (not tanked with other ferals so cannot say on that)
    and mages

or for what ever reason I cannot seem to hold aggro on the groups of mobs before the first boss in Azjol - no matter what the dps are (class/spec wise) and sometimes (on the rare occasion im raid tanking) have problems with threat even tho im using maul every other move as well as mangle, lacarate and Ferire Fire (feral)

so i was just wondering what is going wrong and how can i not suck so badly lmao! - tho tbh ive not done much raid tanking so just mostly been doing heroics atm

Basic stats (self buffed in bear form)
    37777 HP
    5184 AP
    40.47% crit
    39.89% dodge

this is the super secret strategy to bear success. make a macro for every ability like this:

/cast Mangle
    /cast Maul

Also, on packs with more than 2 adds make sure you are using swipe on your GCD's. Make sure you are using the http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40897

Don't gem for hit rating. You are 53 rating over the cap anyways. Grab the Idol of the Corruptor - Item - World of Warcraft from the conquest badge vendor.

ok - is it better to get the one u posted or

yeah - Glyph of maul is one of the major's I use (and i had gemmed for hit when I had needed it :P)

Idol of the corrupter > the triumph badge one.

and yeah i macroed maul into all my abilities as well.

also i would change up your spec a bit, something closer to Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft ... i'm not sure why you've got shredding attacks
    Last edited by Dreg; 11-01-2009 at 09:46 AM.

Yeah - as to the swipe spam - it does not matter how many times i do that, i just cant hold threat from warlocks moonkins and mages - does that mean i suck or just that they are aggro hogs?

or for what ever reason I cannot seem to hold aggro on the groups of mobs before the first boss in Azjol
    It may be worth noting that the packs of mobs before the first boss each have a Skirmisher that randomly fixates a party member and just attacks them. Ignores threat, can't be taunted, etc.

Is this the only place you have issues, or is it everywhere?

Well mostly ive just noticed it with those packs - but i did have some issuse on the trash before Archavon the stone watcher when i was asked to tank (again, seemed to go to the moonkin in the raid) but other then that it seems im ok with threat atm - as mentioned - its just with locks.moonkins and mages i tend to have issuse >.<

Chances are that you're just dealing with the occasional overzealous ranged DPS, then.

All those classes have the potential to just fire off some huge crit before you even engage and screw with your threat then blame you.

As long as you're doing things that have been already outlined...mauling on every attack, mangle/FF every time the CD is up and lacerate or swipe for filler, you're golden. It's not your fault - no matter how many people tell you it is - if some ranged lobs off a 12k crit before you've even engaged or established threat.

Quote Originally Posted by geros View Post
    this is the super secret strategy to bear success. make a macro for every ability like this:

/cast Mangle
    /cast Maul

I'd go with

/cast Mangle
    /cast !Maul

Maul can be queued up and unqueued - by /cast maul, clicking or pushing the button. Adding the ! 'on-only' and avoids that you switch it off again with the next button press.

cool - thanks for taking the time to answer a newb bears questions - one more thing, how do i like change it so it says answered?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanius View Post
    Maul can be queued up and unqueued
    I have a maul/mangle macro set to show maul. I spam the key in high rage fights and I don't see it toggle on and off with multiple keypresses, and I don't have "!" in the macro.

...are you sure it toggles on and off?

Quote Originally Posted by Zabi View Post
    cool - thanks for taking the time to answer a newb bears questions - one more thing, how do i like change it so it says answered?
    Just mark one response as the best answer. It's just above the commenters post.

+ Reply to Thread