+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Taking lots of damage (Hard to heal)

Taking lots of damage (Hard to heal)

First thank you for such an informative sight. Now on to my question.

I have just recently started tanking with my DK The World of Warcraft Armory
    Here is what I know.

1) I need to work on my gear

2) A lot of the upgrades could/would come from H ToC (5-man) but I cannot tank that.

3) I am currently a clicker and am working on using keybinds

4) Threat does not seem to be an issue for me at this point

5) I use a macro that tells me my avoidance and just plain, no buffs it is 52.72 (Don't know what exactly that means but i bet you smart Tank Types do ) Could you enlighten me and tell me what I should aim for?

6) I have been focusing on stamina since reaching the defense cap, and I am at 27k un-buffed in frost presence. A lot of times I feel that the groups I play with want me to have even more, but I would rather do it right than have massive stamina. Am I right in this thinking or do I need to for go it and Stamina all the way?

7) Yes I have 2 points in On a Pale Horse. I justify this by saying when bosses fear me I don't run around as long....I am a tank for Pete sake I shouldn't be running around scared...Honestly though it is the increased movement speed.

8) I like Unholy but I want to tank so do I need to respec?

Please give me some advise. I like tanking, but am at the point where I believe I just ain't that good at it.

Thank you in advance for any and all advise you can gimme at this point
    Last edited by 20x; 11-01-2009 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Added Armory Link

Unholy is fine for tanking right now, you can produce a lot of threat using it and it's AoE makes transitioning from one mob to the next fairly smooth.

Dump on a Pale Horse. I understand your reasoning, but dump it. There are other avenues you can go for fears (fear ward, tremor totem, trinkets, racials, etc...).

I haven't been unholy since 3.0 so i'm not going to give much advice on other talents to use since things have changed drastically in that tree since then. One thing I will say though, is that Impurity seems like it would be something you should spec into. It gives your spells 4% bonus damage from attack power per point and your UB works off of damage done by your Death Coil, so it all ties together.

I'll let someone else give you talent specific advice, though.

Here is a thread you should read about builds: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/5...cs-styles.html

Your unholy build looks like something you evolved over time, I would suggest going for the one that Satorri posted instead. Tanks do not need gargoyles or improved unholy presence, whether they are nice tricks to have or not. If you are going for a 'serious tank build' lose the chaff. If you are worried about other aspects of the game, dual spec is worth every penny.

There is absolutely no excuse for having only 2 major glyphs (consider rune strike or bone shield). You should finish getting your professions up, you are missing out on some easy bonuses and of course the classic Figurine - Monarch Crab - Item - World of Warcraft

In general: you need to know that a large part of tanking is in the preparation. You need to invest time up front sorting out your gear and spec and technique. Couple that with knowledge of the encounter and then apply awareness of the situation, and you'll do well.

Thank you all. I am currently working on leveling my Jewel crafting, just for that trinket. Fixing to head over to the suggested post and read it throughly.

Now you're in some territory I know well! Welcome to Frost tanking! Here's my input on the matter.

1) With Glyph of Howling Blast, you're better off running a one disease rotation. Your Obliterates don't hit quite as hard, but you'll never lose aggro anyway. Use blood boil on trash to keep them on you, but on single targets, always use blood strike for the death runes. Other than that, your rotation really doesnt change unless you find some remarkable situation..

Initial pull: HB, DnD, BB. Now you have an aggro base, heavily front-loaded. Use IBF and RS as available.
    After CD: HB, Ob, BBx2, RP dump.

2) The glyphs you need to pick up are Glyph of Raise Dead, and Glyph of Horn of Winter. Yo should also swap out UBA for Obliterate or DnD. Nice talent build, btw.

3) You need a ring and a trinket BADLY. If you have the emblems, pick up Signet of the Impregnable Fortress to replace the Solid Platinum Band. For a trinket, go for Essence of Gossamer. Drops from Hadronox in H AN.

4) Your avoidance is comparable to mine. 35% unbuffed, + 5% miss chance. Where your thingthing came up with 54%, I have no idea.

5) Ironically, despite the deprivation in gear (Ring/trink) you're ready to tank Naxx/OS10. Start Youtubin'! If you don't know the fights, you're not really ready to tank anything. Good luck on Heigan the Unclean. That fight's a horribly, gimmicky mess lol
    ...Thoughts of a philosophical Death Knight...
    If death is the inevitable end of life, is life the inevitable end of undeath?

Thank you very much for the input! I definately am looking at switching that durn ring. I was going to try and save for the 60 valor bracers, but I think I will go for the ring first. I have a macro for fight like Heigan the Unclean (/p Hey %t this looks dangerous....you go first.) %t = the mage/healer/warlock/other squishy in the group.

+ Reply to Thread