+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Guide to Downloading or Uploading a User Interface

A Guide to Downloading or Uploading a User Interface

A guide to Downloading or Uploading a User Interface
    This guide includes some helpful tips for anyone having trouble downloading, installing, uploading or configuring a UI Compilation.

Understanding the Basics
    • On the most basic level you are removing 2 folders from the WoW folder on your computer and replacing them with 2 new folders from the UI Creator in the download.

• These 2 folders are the WTF and Interface folders.

• Your Interface folder holds all the default Blizzard components that make up your standard UI and any additional Addons that you add.

• Your WTF folder holds your account information and Settings. If you click on "account" in the WTF folder you come to "your account name". Click on that and you come to a window with several folders.

• At the top you will have "your server/realm name". Just below that is a folder called "Saved Variables". This is where all the settings for the addons are stored. Do not change anything in this folder unless you know what your doing or you will break your UI.

• Inside the "server/realm" folder you will have a folder for each one of your characters on your account. In those folders there will be another Saved Variables folder under the character name. This one holds a few addon settings, but the bulk of them will be in the main folder under your server/realm.

Downloading and Installing
    • Before you do anything you want to make a backup of your WTF and Interface folders. Simply right click each one and select "copy". Then right click your desktop and select "paste". Create a new folder called "backup" and drop them in.

• Now that you have your backup you can safely delete the WTF and Interface folders in your WoW folder.

• Go to the download page for the UI you want. Download and extract the UI to your desktop. Once you have the UI unpacked on your desktop open it up and pull out the WTF and Interface folders and place them in your WoW folder, right where you just deleted yours from.

• Then go into the WTF folder and rename all the appropriate folders with your information. Most UI Creators will put in generic stuff for you, such as:

• "Your Account Name" (Recently changed to your battle.net account name.)
    • "Your Server/Realm Name"
    • "Your Character Name"

• Just follow the paths laid out in the first part of this guide to get to these folders, drop the new ones in and rename them.

• It is important that you have correct spelling for these folders. Your account name should be in ALL CAPS or your Battle.net Account Name (as its spelled). If you are not seeing the proper profiles for the UI you may need to use your OLD Account Name in ALL CAPS, if your having issues try either one to see what works. Your server/realm name should have First Letter Capitalized and include any other punctuation. Your character name should have the First Letter Capitalized.

• At this point you are done with folders.

In Game Set Up
    • First stop at your character selections screen. In the bottom left corner you will see a red button called "addons". Click that and a addons window will open. At the top check the box called "Load out of date addons". Now typically most UI's have their addons up to date. But some addons work just fine in their current state and do not need any updating. So you need to check this box to ensure they are turned on. You will also need to check it again after a Major Game Patch until addon authors release new versions to work with what Blizzard changed.

• Now select your character and log in.

• Once inside you will see that not everything looks how it should. You need to set some profiles.

• Most UI Creators will have a list on their download page of slash commands you need to type to open addon configuration windows. If they don't or after you go through all them things are still out of place, go to the actual web page for that addon. They typically have helpful tips listed there, including a slash command to open the configuration window.

• You can also access some addons through the blizzard menu. Press "ESC" and select "Interface". There will be 2 tabs in the top left corner, select "Addons". It's interesting to note that the only way you can select a profile for the addon Recount is to go this route.

• After you have all the profiles set you should reload you UI. Type /console reloadui. Some addons may not look right until you do this part.

• Then log out of the game to save the changes and your done!

Some Tips
    • Never download and install a new UI on a raid night. Sure it might work out, but more often than not your just asking for trouble. Take some time to become accustomed to your new UI. Do some PvP, do some Heroics, check out all the bells and whistles and see if they do what you want.

• As a beginner I recommend selecting a UI package that is made for your resolution (monitor size). This will ensure it will look how it was meant to after you complete the set up process.

• Read the instructions on the download page. As a UI Creator I see this all the time. People glance at the instructions or skip over them completely. They are written for a reason, to provide you with the information you need to quickly and properly set up your new UI.

• Read the comments and related links for the UI. Typically users have a lot of the same questions and answers can be found there.

• I recommend getting an addon manager. I personally use the Curse Client, but there are others. This will help you to easily keep your addons updated.

• If you want to remove an addon from the UI simply go into the Interface folder and delete it.

• If you want to add an addon to the UI simply download and extract it to your Interface folder. Or use an addon manager which does all that for you.

Different Resolutions
    • I'lll start by saying there are no short cuts here. If you want to take a UI that uses a different resolution than your own, you need to be willing to set aside some time to work on it. If your not, your only option is to download a UI that fits your resolution already.

• When you download a UI the hard parts are already done. The color scheme's, how it will appear, display information, and overall work as a whole. So to make any UI work for your resolution all you really need to do is unlock and re-size the addons.

• Just type the slash command for the addon you want to move and start looking at the options. Look through all the tabs/windows and find the "unlock" buttons or check boxes for the addon you need to move. Once its unlocked drag it to where you want, re-size if needed, lock it again, and your done. You will be amazed at what your able to do if you just take a few minutes to look at the options.

• If you mess an addon up beyond repair don't freak out, there is an easy solution. Just dump the settings for that addon and start over again. To do this just go into your Saved Variables folder. There are 2. One just under your Realm/Server Name and One in your Character name. The bulk of these will be in the Main one under Realm/Server. Delete the .lua and .lua bak folder for the addon you screwed up. Then download the UI again and remove the .lua and .lua bak folder for that addon and drop them in.

• I also recommend using some sort of alignment addon. That way once you start moving things you can get them in line with each other and looking nice. I personally use Graph Paper , but there are a few others.

• Really making a UI fit to your resolution is not a complicated task, its just a time consuming one. But once you learn how to unlock and move 1 addon, you start to get the hang of it and it becomes easier as you go on to the next one.

How to make your UI available for others to download. (Originally Written by Bloodwraith)
    • Copy your WTF and Interface folders to a clean folder created outside of the main WOW Folder.

• Go into the copied WTF folder and:

• Under WTF/Account, Rename the account folder to something like, Rename to your account name ALL CAPS.

• If you have more than one account just delete the other account names.

• Under Account you will find the name of your server. Rename the folder to Your Server First letter cap.

• If you have toons on more than one server, just delete the other servers.

• Under the Server folder you will find all the names of your toons. Delete all but one (should keep the toon that the UI is primarily used for) and rename that folder to something like, rename to your Character.

• DO NOT mess with any of the saved variable folders as these have the settings for your addons you have so carefully laid out.

• *Security Issue* Be sure to clear your Account Name! Go to the log in screen, un-check "Save Account Name", then Delete your Account Name from the Field.

If you do not, people who download your UI will have your Account Name!

• Zip your WTF and Interface folders.

• I use Winrar. It has a wizard that makes zipping folders a no brainer. Available at WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files

• Go to WoWInterface - Find World of Warcraft AddOns!

• Under Other Categories, choose Compilations & Suites.

• Click on the Upload and Update option on the top bar.

• Using the drop down menu, select an upload category. Generally the category you will want to upload to is Graphical Compilations, found below Compilations and Suites.

• Browse to your file and you can then upload it to the site.

• Be sure to include a description of the UI and screenshots. It is usually most helpful to have raid, party, and solo shots.

• A list of the addons, with a brief description, is a good thing to have. It is a bit tedious to create but can help others decide whether or not they want to use your interface.

• There will be a brief delay while your file is vetted by the site and then it will be posted to the category you chose and is one click away from being downloaded.

Guide Contributors
    • Bodasafa of Eldre'Thalas-US
    • Bloodwraith of Korgath-US
    Last edited by Bodasafa; 01-28-2010 at 11:39 AM.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Moving and sticking in the compilations forum

Another guide that might be popular is one on how to prep a UI comp to upload to a site like wowinterface.com or wherever. (I don't know how to do it myself). Or maybe added to this one.

The original post has been updated to include how to Upload a UI, originally written by Bloodwraith and has been added with his permission.
    Last edited by Bodasafa; 11-08-2009 at 09:36 PM.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

I have edited the "Different Resolutions" portion of this guide to include more tips.

I have edited small portions for clarity and the layout for easier reading (I think lol).

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    I have edited small portions for clarity and the layout for easier reading (I think lol).

Enjoy.
    Helps a bit. Anyway, nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciruss View Post
    Helps a bit. Anyway, nice job.
    Thank you.

I have edited the guide slightly to include information concerning the battle.net account name changes.

How to Upload a UI is missing an important privacy step: remove your email address from the config file.

If you have the WoW login screen set to remember your account email address so you only have to type your password when you login, WoW stores this in a config file:

X:\...\World of Warcraft\WTF\Config.wtf

Delete the line:

SET accountName "my@email.com"

I've dl'd one or two UI's that miss that step, and the UI uploader's email address appears in my login screen.

I guess I over looked it cause I change my password often and I have an authenticator (which I recommend everyone gets). Without those 2 my account name is worthless.

Before I pack up my UI, I open the game, un check the save account name box, log in, log back out, and exit the game. This removes the saved Account Name. I then pack up my UI.

However you bring up a valid point and Im not sure if how I do it removes the saved config file information. I will edit the guide to include that, thank you.
    Last edited by Bodasafa; 01-15-2010 at 11:22 PM.

Your way works too, just tested it. Don't even have to log in, just bring up the login screen, delete your account name, uncheck 'Save account name', then click quit to exit. That removes it from config.wtf too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
    Your way works too, just tested it. Don't even have to log in, just bring up the login screen, delete your account name, uncheck 'Save account name', then click quit to exit. That removes it from config.wtf too.
    Good to know, since that's fairly simple I'll list that as the precautionary step instead of people going into files, which can be complex for some.

Thanks for your help.

Is it possible to have multiple UI's for different characters? I can't think of an easy way to do this. I had just downloaded and set up Dankz's mage UI. Then later on I downloaded Boda's Warrior Tank UI, and found that in many of the addons I could not find Boda's UI profile.. so I couldn't configure it.

Quote Originally Posted by Addzzz View Post
    Is it possible to have multiple UI's for different characters? I can't think of an easy way to do this. I had just downloaded and set up Dankz's mage UI. Then later on I downloaded Boda's Warrior Tank UI, and found that in many of the addons I could not find Boda's UI profile.. so I couldn't configure it.
    For multiple UI's I would suggest having different WTF and Interface folders for each. Drop in the ones for the toon your playing. If your not seeing the profiles for my UI specifically you have a folder issue.

How can you make different WTF folders for different characters? If you name them WTF (2) for example surely WoW wouldn't recognize them or something?

You will likely have to edit them each time you drop them in. I have not tired it so perhaps someone else can comment. I am just going off my knowledge of the process. Perhaps you might try posting a thread in the UI forum to grab some attention.

I did have an idea, although it would be a lot of effort to do between each character switch, basically, I could have 3 folders (Druid, Mage, Warrior) outside of the wow folders, in "Public" for example, and inside each of those I could have the interface and WTF folders containing the UI's and my settings & extra addons, I would just have to replace the existing Interface and WTF with the ones from the chosen character class folder.

I'll try it and see how long I can do it before I just can't be bothered anymore..

i use 2 different ui's for my warrior and shaman. one i use for pve which has my raiding addons (and is based off of "lui v2.0") and the other is my pvp ui which has my arena addons like gladius, spellalerter, and whatnot. whenever i do arenas/bg's i drop in one ui and use my pve ui for everything else.

all i do is drag the current interface and wtf folder in my wow folder to a folder on my desktop and drag in the other ui's wtf and interface folders from a different folder on my desktop into my wow folder. i do not have to edit anything in the folders when i put them into my wow folder to "activate" the ui. it's just drag and drop and then log in.

yes it can be a pain if you have it set up to use different ui's for each character. if you usually don't just log on one toon do a random heroic/do dailies and then switch over to another toon and do it over again it shouldn't be too bad. since i only do arenas/bg's on certain days i don't have to switch that often which doesn't make it a pain for me.

i wish there was a way you could have a setup to where you don't have to switch wtf/interface folders and have different ui's for each class/toon, but some addons like pitbull will not allow it.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Pitbull would allow it? Surely any addon with the profile manager would allow it. You just need to find some way of being able to incorporate the profiles from 2 different UI's into the place where they are stored? (I don't quite know what i'm talking about but I can understand it, slightly)

+ Reply to Thread