+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quick Ring Question.

Quick Ring Question.

I got the ring from Onyxia today...

Should I go with what basically boils down to +800 armor and +350 health even though I lose 2 expertise (which puts me at 25 expertise) and 56 AP?

Simply put:

+800 armor
    +350 health
    25 expertise

OR

27 expertise
    56 AP

My problem is i'm not sure how much benefit I gain from 800 armor as I don't quite understand how that factors into damage mitigation at this point.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Wilhem; 10-31-2009 at 08:50 PM.

800 armor is a large amount. 350 health is also nothing to sneeze at. Unless you're a Druid AP contributes zilch to survival, and 2 expertise (rating or skill?) is negligible.

Here's how you test the contribution of 800 armor at your gear level. Take the ring OFF and mouse over your armor to get your mitigation percent. Write that down. Then put the ring on and get the new mitigation percent. Your additive gain is (new-old), but keep in mind that each percent is worth more than the last one. For instance, going from 50% to 52% armor mitigation reduces incoming damage by ~4%, not 2%.

Hmm... I gain .7% mitigation, going from ~62.6% to ~63.3%. It's actually 2.6 expertise that I lose... But from what you've said, ~.7% mitigation should be ~1.5% damage reduction? Is there a specific formula for that somewhere?

I'm a DK, by the way... Should've linked my armory initially, but here it is: WoW Armory - Wilhem.

The ring (30 resistance) also reduces magic dmg by an average of >5% btw.
    For my midlevel geared Warrior I'm using both versions of the ring for my MEHP set, simply because 55 resistance (on top of the tons of armor and HP) is simply a LOT of damage reduction you can't get from any other tanking stat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Quote Originally Posted by JokerFMJ View Post
    Hmm... I gain .7% mitigation, going from ~62.6% to ~63.3%. It's actually 2.6 expertise that I lose... But from what you've said, ~.7% mitigation should be ~1.5% damage reduction? Is there a specific formula for that somewhere?
    It's the same thing that you get with Avoidance DR. Example:

A boss swings for 50,000 vs. a tank with 50% mitigation and hits for 25,000 (50% of 50,000). If the tank puts on a magic codpiece that gives him 5% more mitigation, the boss will hit for 22500 (45% of 50,000).

Another tank at 60% mit vs. the same boss will be hit for 20,000 (40% of the hit makes it through), and if he also dons the magic codpiece, he gets hit for 17500 (35%).

Both tanks were hit for 2500 less damage. But one tank started with 25000 hits, and another with 20000 hits. So tank 1 lives 10% longer due to the codpiece, but tank 2 lives 12.5% longer. So each *percent* is worth more in time-to-live than the one before it.

Note that since armor is on DR, this doesn't mean that 800 armor is worth more to the higher-armor tank. In fact, the DR makes it all balance out perfectly so that 800 armor is worth more or less the same in time-to-live regardless. And it is a healthy amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenodorus View Post
    Note that since armor is on DR, this doesn't mean that 800 armor is worth more to the higher-armor tank. In fact, the DR makes it all balance out perfectly so that 800 armor is worth more or less the same in time-to-live regardless. And it is a healthy amount.
    I think what you mean is: Diminishing Returns
    What it all boils down to is this phrase: Mitigation is subject to diminishing returns, but armour is not. We use this one sentence to summarise both of the effects explained above. I suppose a more correct sentence might be "Mitigation is subject to diminishing returns, but survivability is not", but most people express it in the first way generally. The distinction between mitigation and armour/time to live/survivability is this:

- Mitigation is a function of your armour and your opponent's level
    - Time to live is a function of your mitigation, your hitpoints, and how much damage per second you are taking

These are two different systems that are related. The second one uses the first in its calculation, and works the way it does because mitigation is subject to diminishing returns. Again we stress that this is valid against physical damage only. Once fireballs and shadowbolts begin to fly, it goes to your resistance and hitpoints instead of armour and hitpoints.
    The way you said it is slightly confusing not knocking you but satrina just puts it slightly clearer imo :x

Thanks, y'all, I understand now. I've read that post before but completely forgot about it, heh... Silly me.

Also, I didn't even think about the resistances helping with magic damage mitigation (I just kind of blew them off, to be honest). So I guess i'll go with that ring.

its a great ring. do not lose it...

icecrown and cataclysm will probably require some form of resist gear.
    Belgariad: EU : Lightnings Blade. Once a Tank. Always a Tank.

+ Reply to Thread