+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wow Head Weights Prot Tank Gear

Wow Head Weights Prot Tank Gear

Guys,

I'm a tank over on Tichondrius and I wanted to post this to get some feedback. We have been doing 25 TOTC and are progressing into 10 TOTGC and 25 TOTGC however I am finding there are times when out of the blue I completely drop in some of the fights. Yes I'm from the old school dodge tank times but am gradually flipping to EH set. My question is this... If I use wow head and create a weighted view of gear Im seeing some really interesting things... I understand that EH (Physical) is built around Stamina and Armor so I used those as the base weightings and searched for cloaks... As an FYI my health in my dodge set is around 38k...

Stamina 300
    Armor 300
    Dodge, Parry, Defense 200
    Block Value 100

Results:

#1 Cloak of the Shadowed Sun Score 142.15
    #14 Pride of the Erader Score 83.0

Now am I wrong or should I be replacing my Erader Cloak with my Naxx 25 cloak simply on the basis of EH Calculations?

My dodge is about 27% - 29% depending on gear combinations etc...
    My parry is about 20% depending on gear combinations...

Another example is legs:

Same weighting puts Saronite Plated Legguards above all pants in the game... Should I drop my tier 8.5 pants?

Now I know what your saying well Rahnin there are other stats and bonuses from the sets your not considering. I understand that but I just curious if I'm understanding this correctly.

Thanks!

Rahnin

Did you just arbitrarily pull those numbers, or do you have some basis for weighting them so?

I am not familiar with the rankings system on wowhead, but it seems that by creating a value for armor that is the same for stamina you have grossly overestimated the value of armor. One think to keep in mind is that you gain much more armor per item point than you do other stats. For instance, 100 item points might be granted to 100 dodge rating, or 150 stamina, or 1000 armor. Now, I'm not sure, but I've seen other sources say that armor is alocated at 1:10, sta at 1:1.5, def/dodge/parry at 1:1.

If that is the case, by inputing armor as 300 you are likely overestimating the value of armor by at least 6x that of stamina. My numbers might be wrong because I don't know the system on wowhead, as I said, it just strikes me that that would be a problem you might encounter.

All that to say, Cloak of the Shattered Sun is still one of the greatest eh pieces in the game. There could conceivably be situations in which it would be more beneficial.
    Many people have enough to live by but nothing to live for - they have the means but no meaning <<<>>> Tenraiel - Warrior||Kross - Priest||Anethea - Hunter

I think they use ratios. So 300 over say 150 is like saying I value these stats twice as much. And weighting was equal on stam and armor. But again I could be wrong this is just how I read wow-heads statement on how the weightings work.

But I do understand what your saying about looking more closely at the ratio's I'll go back and rework on the numbers. It just seemed odd to me so I thought I'd post.

Don't rely on the wowhead weights, they're only intended as rough guidelines for new players, and are not even too great for that purpose.

The Naxx cloak has highest armor value in the game. With an armor enchant it's a pretty awesome piece for hard physical damage fights.

A lot of the damage in hard mode encounters is not physical, so in a lot of cases, I would choose stamina over armor, but I keep the high armor pieces in my bag for those times when they are useful.

Same with dodge. Sometimes it's great, other times you can't avoid the damage and you are better off with stamina.

Gear for the encounter, and don't throw away your old stuff, it might come in useful again.

Quote Originally Posted by Spazlord View Post
    Gear for the encounter, and don't throw away your old stuff, it might come in useful again.
    Quoted because I cried a little inside when I realized how OP it is to be unhittable on anub adds; after vendoring most of my Naxx and Ulduar gear.

Thank God I still had my Lavathors for PvP.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by drae View Post
    Quoted because I cried a little inside when I realized how OP it is to be unhittable on anub adds; after vendoring most of my Naxx and Ulduar gear.

Yeh, lucky for me a keep everything that isn't a just straight upgrade in terms of the same stats (like going from FL10 bracers to beasts10 bracers).

I even still have styleen's impeding scarab :>

Quote Originally Posted by drae View Post

This. Christ, this. I've had to re-farm naxx 25 like crazy for stuff that I'd vendored :-\ I STILL haven't gotten my ulduar block pieces back. damnit.

no but seriously, the naxx 25 cloak really IS that good. And I was furious when the pug I was farming for block gear gave it to a DPS over me the other day "because you have a 5500 gearscore, you don't need it"

gearscore and people who don't understand tanking mechanics make me want to commit murder. The naxx cloak WAS an upgrade over my 245 Eredar cloak, whether or not the ML understood it. grr.

+ Reply to Thread