+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Warrior trouble with Agg

Prot Warrior trouble with Agg

Well first post here but not new to this site. A few days ago I hit 550Def as a Prot Warrior and at about 23k for health. I attempted to do 5 man Heroics and was having some issues holding agg on strays. I would get the most of it but lose the agg on one guy who would go off and wipe healers then me... Needless to say i finished a small handful of attempts but very painfully.

At 550 Def and 23k and stacked alot of agility yesterday should I continue to tank heroics and piss people off or keep running dps and getting the what ever tank gear isnt needed on?

I want to tank and I need gear but wow has made this a royal pain in the....

Any advice at my level of what I should be doing and or tips for holding agg better... I was tabbing thru the enemies to hold them but there is always one that strays off.

I assume its me due to being new at tanking and not the dps atttacking before I grab agg (I am sure it happened but im new so taking like a man.)

I need emblems and cant get them not finishing runs...

1. Post a link to your armory so people can actually help you
    2. Use the old default talent spec 15/5/51 Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft
    3. Use the old default glyphs:
    • Major: Blocking, Revenge, Heroic Strike (or Devastate)
    • Minor: Thunder Clap, Charge, Blood Rage
    4. Meet the bare stat minimums:
    • 540+ def
    • work towards 26+ expertise (soft cap)
    • work towards 263 hit (hit cap)
    • as much HP as physically possible
    5. Follow Cider's early gear guide: Cider's Easy 540 Defense Gear Guide
    6. Follow Vene's emblem gear guide: Vene's Emblem Guide + Pick Orders
    7. Work towards the following enchants:
    8. Follow this type of skill prioritization while spamming Heroic Strike whenever you have 50+ rage

Lastly make sure you don't keyboard turn and that every ability you use is keybound. See here for more info: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/...binds-you.html

Cheers, /wall-o-text

EDIT: With regard to AOE threat, make sure you keep thunderclap on cooldown, replace Heroic Strike with cleave when over 50 rage, keep Shock Wave on cooldown and taunt/heroic throw/charge any stragglers that get away. Practice makes perfect
    EDIT 2: I am guessing this is you The World of Warcraft Armory make sure you logoff in your tank set so we can see your gear

Might be helpful to link your profile.

There are quite a few times that DPS'ers will not focus fire on the main target, opting instead to stroke their e-peens by trying to burn down another target before it gets to them. If that is the case, then those dps'ers want to tank and you should let them

But a link to your profile with the gear set you're using would be helpful to determine what the problem may be.

Sorry about leaving my guy in dps gear... I will fix as soon as I get home... Squirelnut that is my profile... The one time I logoff DPS... I will follow later this evening with corrected profile. But Thank you for the help and this website...

And here I thought this guy had issues with me!
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    That's actually what came to mind for me as well.

One more really important tip for a new tank. Keybind raid symbols to some keys. Some people like the number pad; I use the function keys. Use them on every pull. If all the dps is concentrating on the skull, they are far less likely to pull a "stray" off of you, because you can primarily work on keeping threat on the skull while Thunderclapping/Shockwaving/Cleaving, and maybe occasionally tabbing over to drop a shield slam or something on the next target to be dps'd. Make the dps work with you, not against you.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    You lost me...

Agg... Aggathon... "trouble with Agg"...

Typically the jargon for threat managment is "Aggro" so just putting "Agg", which is what pretty much everyone calls me, confused me.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

oh oh sorry... I program for a living so I have a bad habit of shorting words into my style of coding phrases...

Ok profile shows tank gear now...

Prot warriors generally have to work abit harder to tank multiple adds. The easiest bandaid fix if you want to tank heroics is to glyph cleave so your cleave hits 3 targets and cleave whenever you have enough rage to do so.

If i was tanking a heroic and there were alot of adds to tank, i would do a charge in, then thunderclap to get initial aggro on all the adds. then take a few steps back and shockwave. this should be enough threat to keep the adds on me even if dps decide to aoe. Then I would keep changing targets and devastate/shieldslam + cleave. You should have no problems keeping aggro on 4-5 adds this way while your dps aoe. If you have alot of single target dps then it would be easier to just mark a skull, and do the TC + Shockwave start and let damage shield hold the aggro on the rest while you mark a skull and focus TPS on the skull, using Thunderclap whenever the CD is up to ensure that the other adds don't run off to your healers.

Put enemy nameplates up so you can see visually what you have aggro on, and zoom out as far as you possibly can.

If the stray mob is attacking a DPS, then they might be attacking too early.
    If the stray mob is attacking your healer, then that is a fault with your tanking.

You need to establish aggro on the mobs in a pack as quickly as possible. Charge and thunderclap, then shockwave - you should now have enough aggro that the healer won't pull off you - then start your normal rotation on the first DPS target while keeping thunderclap and shockwave on cooldown. If you're really struggling against DPS to hold aggro, let them 'tank' the first mob (pick an enemy caster, optimally) while you grab the rest.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

+ Reply to Thread