+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starting DK "HALP" wanted.

Starting DK "HALP" wanted.

I recently dinged 80 on my DK and trying to gear yet another character up.

I hear that Blood is the best dps spec atm but is inferior to DW frost until a certain gear level.

Is what are some 2 handers that would be good for a DK or should I just stick with

Titansteel Destroyer - Item - World of Warcraft

and a blood spec.

EDIT: I have also noticed that there aren't many 1h'es itemized for DK's most have agility and I've learned that str is the best for a DK. =[ Are these weapons good regardless?
    Last edited by ZakThePally; 10-26-2009 at 11:52 PM.

The only 1 handed weapons you will find with strength on them are tanking 1 handers. All the plate wearing classes are designed to use strength as it is most often their best DPS stat.

For a 2-handed weapon, you want the Edge of Ruin - Item - World of Warcraft from H ToC5. I currently play frost DW and our dps is very RNG based with KM/rime procs. For blood dps, you need about 20% armor penetration before your heart strikes start to hit hard enough.

In general, 2H weapons are superiour for Blood & Unholy, with Frost having the option to use either 2H or DW. You can DW Unholy, but ToT (in Frost) is extremely good for increasing DW DPS. Titansteel is a solid start, though the Rune Edge is an upgrade if you remain hit capped (8%).

If you stay Blood, focus on Hit, Expertise, Strength then ArPen (Crit/AP afterwards, IMO). The first two obviously ensure you are hitting your target, while the second two improve the damage delivered. You have to get significant amount of AP to make ArPen superiour to Strength, with the quoted number being 6.3K AP (EJ & WoW forums). Also, ArPen doesn't give a notable amount of return initially, hence the previous poster's 20% comment. I noticed a larger DPS gain going from 30% -> 40% ArPen then when I went 20% -> 30%, for example.

In regards to 1H weapons, there are few itemized for DW Strength classes like DKs. Instead, focus on picking up slower weapons to maximize melee hits from Obliterate/Frost Strike/Plague Strike as the damage is based on weapon damage, which is in turn based on weapon speed. The guideline is slower weapon => higher weapon damage => better DPS.

My personal refrain is that, beyond what is theoretically capable of the largest, peak output, the variances are not so significant that you should be choosing one over another.

The smartest thing you can do as a new 80 is to try each of the trees out, there are a wealth of cookie cutter specs, but you will learn a lot more about the class if you pick the talents yourself and actually read them.

Find the style that feels best to you. The style you enjoy most will likely be the one you play the best, or want to play the best and will in time, and chances are, that will be the best *you* can offer from your DK.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Satorri is right try out every spec.

I personally find unholy best for starting gear, then goes Frost and finally blood

and ya that is almost the best 2h b4 any raid.

+ Reply to Thread