+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Weekly Marmot, Anub'arak 25 Hard and More!

The Weekly Marmot, Anub'arak 25 Hard and More!

Where to begin with this lengthy news post? Well, to start, let's go ahead and get one thing out of the way -- there's plenty more coming in the next couple weeks and you should keep checking back for more. With that said...

Anub'arak 25-man Hard Mode
    Splug has completed his 25-man Heroic Anub'arak guide which we've appended to the Anub'arak strategy thread.

The Weekly Marmot -- Episode 1
    Lore and I were discussing ways to keep the site updates on news and keep that personal touch involved that we used to have on the site with the podcasts. He came up with a brilliant idea -- let's plaster his face on our frontpage every week! With no further ado, here's Episode 1!

As a side note, we'll most likely release movies on YouTube on monday so our subscribers will receive a message by Tuesday.

Donor Recruitment Forums
    We've made a few fundamental changes to our Guild Recruitment forums, including putting them in a far more visible location on the site, right beneath our raiding movies forum. The biggest change is that new recruitment threads can now only be created by Donors and Authors on the site. Additionally, threads can no longer be bumped and expire automatically, at which point authors are welcome to create them again. Note: We are not deleting any threads currently in the forum; they will expire naturally over the course of the next month.

These changes should cut down heavily on the bump spam we were seeing and should ease up a lot of the clutter in the Guild Recruitment forums. They are part of our standard Donor access to the site and will be included in any future subscriptions we create.

TankSpot & Cataclysm (Our Outlook on a Broader Community)
    As most of you have figured out at this point, a lot of the new content on this site over the last year has been intended to reach different audiences. Most of the time this includes tanks, but less often than in the past does it exclusively cover tanks.

Before going further: One thing we've been quick to note is that new communities on the site (such as the larger raiding community) are brought here in addition to the core of tanks that are the foundation here. However, it's also fair to say that I've personally shifted focus towards the raiding movies and, more recently, towards administering the site. This means you don't see as much tanking news that I would have normally been posting in the past. We're actively going to fix this.

With that said, TankSpot has, in terms of traffic, become one of the major WoW destinations. Going into Cataclysm, we're fully intending to become an all-purpose site that nearly anyone playing WoW can access and find something they're looking for and would enjoy. The foundation for Healers has already been laid by Aliena, who will be organizing the Healing community on our site as we develop further in this direction. She's uploading the Discipline Priest movies as I write this! Additionally, we're expecting guides from a variety of other classes in the near future. Parts of the site will change to accomodate these new communities and we'll need to do some overall restructuring to make the site more coherent.

In Cataclysm, we're aiming to cover more subjects through videos, including leveling, instances, and a variety of other related subjects. As you see above, we'll be adding a more personal touch with Weekly Marmot videos!

Quality is important to us and we're being careful to look for authors who are in a position to act as authorities on their subjects. Just as importantly, we judge our potential authors based on how respectful they are towards players of all skill levels and backgrounds. If you've enjoyed the many movies Aliena and Splug have produced, keep this in mind -- they write and create their own movies entirely independently, without supervision or direction from Lore or myself. We expect this quality in our future authors and are vetting them the same way.

We're also planning on extending our outreach to promote blogs and communities outside of our own, so please feel free to contact us if you're from another community and interested in promoting your own awesomeness as Cataclysm approaches!

20 Million Marmots
    We've reached a new milestone with 20 million combined views on our YouTube channel this morning. This is obviously a very exciting event for us and we're ecstatic that the community has followed us this far. Expect many more movies, both for raiding and in new areas such as class guides and other means of character progression -- and we'll make sure they're up to the standard you've come to expect. Also, we strongly encourage anyone with a YouTube account to Subscribe to our channel by clicking the large yellow button on our channel page or any movie page.

New Site Promotions
    Lore has been promoted to administrator status on the site (red name, like Satrina and mine). Penlowe is our new assistant on the site and has a corresponding purple name -- when you have questions and comments, she is the most likely person you'll be talking to! Penlowe will also be reaching out to the larger WoW community and getting in touch with site and blog authors around the web. Finally, Shortypop has been promoted to Author status for her regular, quality blog authorship on the community (check out the blogs here).

Several new authors are going to be promoted in the next few weeks as we start to collect class guides from across the WoW community. As a related side note, I've been meaning to make a post recognizing Satorri for his quality and consistency in posting for the community -- good job!

That's it for now! Stay tuned for more!

For all of those asking about Lore's UI you can jump straight to his UI thread here.
    Last edited by Aliena; 01-25-2010 at 10:02 AM.

Huge massive update!

Love the first video and hope you guys keep them coming as the site starts to get stale with most content down and waiting on new. My biggest suggestion for an upcoming video fore lore or anyone really is the following.

"Loot Decisions and you"
    I hear alot about what type of looting system to do, and even though there's hundreds of different ways to do dkp and things like that, it would be awesome if you guys through in your opinions and maybe as to what you use and how your system works for you and your raiders. Maybe talk about things like, casual guild might want x system where hardcore more stick to x system, this is why and why.

Not sure but no sound coming through for me in the Lore vid?
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Scratch that , problem was on my end....
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

One thing that has been great about this site is that you have stayed true to the people who visit it. I can assure you that MANY of your tankspot "followers" will appreciate the changes.

Thanks again for providing a great site.
    Deeps for show..... tank for dough.....

I love this! Lore, your hair is prettier than mine.
    Last edited by Ariedan; 10-26-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

ew, lore's name in non-purple just seems Wrong...

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

You're just jealous.

Maybe =(

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I am annoyed that I did not get the chance to make fun of your weird looking, pasty face because you already agreed with me. Truly disrespectful!

I have to say that I really like this idea of Lore doing a weekly thing like this.

I see good things coming out of this! Good thinking guys.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

Quote Originally Posted by veneretio View Post
    I am annoyed that I did not get the chance to make fun of your weird looking, pasty face because you already agreed with me. Truly disrespectful!
    ;j

Looks good guys! I may just have to become a donor for all this extra work your doing

Lore, unless I missed it you forgot to mention your HuD add-on; I imagine it's one of the more common requested I.D.'s. I think it's Ice HuD, but I'm not gonna assume. Also is that "Tiny Tip" I see attached to your mouse on mouse-over or something newer?

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

Oh and Grats to all those who received a Promotion!

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

I am ALL THAT IS MAN

Also: Yes, the HUD addon is IceHUD. I'm using CowTip for the tooltips as well. I'll be sure to mention both of those in next week's episode.

I agree with Aliena. It's easy to make videos of your characters and your raid, but to stare down the camera...

Well done, and good idea. I think this has potential to be very popular, and hopefully even more helpful than that.

And then Lore responded. =P Goof.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

+ Reply to Thread