+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Different type of tanks

Different type of tanks

So far, I have seen many paladins and warriors who gemmed their gear differently. The most normal is the stam stack tank, witch pretty much puts a lot of stam for lots of health. The thing is that I've seen many tanks using a lot of hit rating gems, way more than 1 or 2, even seen like 5-6 gems of hit rating on them. As well that I've seen many tanks using avoidance gems witch is understandable (Stam tank vrs Avoidance tank is pretty interesting) but my point is... well, whats the point of putting that many hit rating gems, 1 I consider normal but more than that isnt useless for a tank? Whats the point of it?

Thanks =)

Because in full ToGC 25man gear you will have 22 hit rating from gear from the 245 ranged weapon (unless you use the T9 pants, which not many do because they are terrible). I have 57 with the badge ranged weapon, 1-10hit1stam gem and accuracy on my weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Xemmas View Post
    So far, I have seen many paladins and warriors who gemmed their gear differently. The most normal is the stam stack tank, witch pretty much puts a lot of stam for lots of health. The thing is that I've seen many tanks using a lot of hit rating gems, way more than 1 or 2, even seen like 5-6 gems of hit rating on them. As well that I've seen many tanks using avoidance gems witch is understandable (Stam tank vrs Avoidance tank is pretty interesting) but my point is... well, whats the point of putting that many hit rating gems, 1 I consider normal but more than that isnt useless for a tank? Whats the point of it?

Thanks =)
    I put hit/stam gems in my yellow slots, and agi/stam or exp/stam gems in my red slots.

This works out to getting the most of your gems while still stam stacking. Since most tanking gear has 9stam socket bonuses, you basically trade 6 stamina for half an epic gems worth of other stats, which is a good trade in my opinion.

Note on the stam tank vs agi tank bit: It's mostly a myth - there is not a whole lot of choice in tank gear, and on gear the choice is almost never stamina vs avoidance.
    The only point where it's stamina vs avoidance is on gems and enchants, and the influence of those two gets smaller and smaller as you progress through gear.

While you can make a difference by gemming and enchanting, in both cases you end up with a tank with a lot of health that avoids well over half of melee attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

I think people socket hit because of a huge hit deficiency on most T9 gear.

As a warrior I prefer the expertise (yes right to the hardcap) over hit anyway, so you won't see me socketing hit. Although I hear hit is more important for paladins and DK's.

As for avoidance vs. Stam, the only fight where avoidance / SBR /SBV is worthwhile is anub add tanking on heroic. Otherwise stacking straight Stam gems is usually the way to go; although there are cases where an nice socket bonus like 12 stam with the right colours (say a red + a blue) is probably worth it.

I've heard tell, (but far from positive) that agi gems are better then dodge gems for paladins, I'm not positive tho.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

Any tank that stacks 4-5 pure hit gems needs a hard slap. The importance of being hit capped for most raids does not really apply in the same way it does for dps. For those encounters where hit is essential use the taunt glyph (not sure if that a taunt glyph exists for all tanking class's.) Also make sure that your raid has all possible hit buffs (Shaman, Druid) not just 24 paladins for blessings.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    I put hit/stam gems in my yellow slots, and agi/stam or exp/stam gems in my red slots.

This works out to getting the most of your gems while still stam stacking. Since most tanking gear has 9stam socket bonuses, you basically trade 6 stamina for half an epic gems worth of other stats, which is a good trade in my opinion.
    I completely disagree unless you are building a threat set. I roll with 89 hit and 35 expertise just from what gear gives me, and I wouldn't care if it was lower because I would still generate more than enough threat. These stats are truely unimportant and with few exceptions 6 stam is going to go further for you than 10 hit.

For pallies imo try to hit a 12 (if not possible then 9) stam bonus with a stam/agi gem to hit the meta and the rest go with stam.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Keep in mind that tanks may build more than one set of gear. You might not be inspecting/armory-ing them in their full effective health set.

+ Reply to Thread