+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deflection, specifically for Paladins (other classes?)

Deflection, specifically for Paladins (other classes?)

So what are the mechanics behind Deflections? After talking to a few tank friends, it seems like Hammer of the Righteous is what is being deflected. Aside from that, some say that they deflect mobs at time. Where is it on the hit table, and is there any way to mitigate it?

Here is my Hammer of the Righteous details from a ToC 25.

Here is my Vindication details from the same run. Note that other paladins had the talent, which accounts for the misses (I'd assume).

These are the only two abilities that were deflected over the whole run. I did notice more deflects a few weeks ago when I got a new weapon, and was under weapon skill cap for maces. However, I continued to notice it after it was maxxed. So it's not that, at least not entirely. I was ret for faction champs, so my breakdown isn't entirely from being prot.

This is my alt, I play an Enhancement Shaman, and I've never seen any deflections on her, so that would lead me to assume it's similar to the parry mechanic, which is what has been speculated on WoWWiki.

Are other classes getting deflected? Or is it a HotR specific issue?

Deflections are analogous to parries.

Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    Deflections are analogous to parries.
    Are they mitigated by Expertise? I've heard that they don't give a hasted melee attack.

Did you have the hunter present in your Faction Champs group? I've had taunt "deflected" by the hunter before.

EDIT
    Deflect - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft
    Deterrence - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft
    <shrug>
    Last edited by Thaak; 10-24-2009 at 04:13 PM.

From experience they seem to be mitigated by expertise (the number I get in an encounter seems to be reduced by the amount of Expertise that I have), but I don't know if the haste melee attacks or not. In all of my old parses back from the earlier WotLK, my melee parry % and my HotR % were close to the same number (some variation due to the fact that I have nearly 4x more melee swing attempts than I do HotR attempts).

And you only see it on HotR also? Or have you seen it on other stuff?

Prior to 3.2, for a paladin, only HotR deflected. I never tested Vindication applications to see.

Deflect is a spell parry that is uneffected by all other stats Deflection is enabled by Rune of Spellbreaking /Spellshattering (of dk rune forges) and Deterence by hunters so u really can't help it
    sKsBlaster/Blasterion for Stim Kill Smile and Last Light on Stim Kill Smile and MedivhUS

but I don't know if the haste melee attacks or not.
    Yep, HotR deflects work exactly like parries, including the parry-haste aspect of it. I did some testing in this post, dueling a DK.

Quote Originally Posted by Blasterion
    Deflect is a spell parry that is uneffected by all other stats Deflection is enabled by Rune of Spellbreaking /Spellshattering (of dk rune forges) and Deterence by hunters so u really can't help it
    This is definitely not true for all spells. Expertise does reduce Hammer of the Righteous deflect rates. I can't speak firsthand for how it works with other spells, but some simple tests on a dummy could confirm the behavior of HotR.
    "Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
    MATLAB TPS 4.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by theckhd View Post
    Yep, HotR deflects work exactly like parries, including the parry-haste aspect of it. I did some testing in this post, dueling a DK.
    That's what I thought I remembered reading at maintankadin, but I didn't want to commit since I couldn't find the reference.

That's what I thought I remembered reading at maintankadin, but I didn't want to commit since I couldn't find the reference.
    If it makes you feel any better, half the time I can't find my own old posts. Age and the "Now where did I put my keys..." syndrome seem to have been creeping up on me online as well.
    "Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
    MATLAB TPS 4.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 4.0

Deterrence allows Hunters to "deflect" spells and ranged attacks, which muddies the water a bit, and the Hunter in Faction Champs does pop Deterrence.

The spell damage reduction from the DK runes is also a different thing.

HotR being deflected is an odd flag that's turned on. Mobs have a chance to parry HotR which is flagged as a ranged attack. When they parry it, it pops up as "Deflected." The chance is removed the same as parry for that sake. I'd be surprised if Vindication itself could be deflected, but since it can be applied by HotR (right?) perhaps the application was deflected when HotR was deflected?
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

+ Reply to Thread