+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: New THREAT name plates - Theme creation.

i would like the color changing base on threat% of this addon merge with the layout from cleanplate(plus a casting bar) then it will be perfect for any tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Helgi View Post
    Found an issue/bug.

So I was tanking VoA 25 the last night, more specifically the adds in Emalon. The hunter in the pug didn't seem to know what misdirect was, let alone how to use it, so I had to taunt-pull the adds to myself when they spawned.

However, I was having HUGE issues with targeting the mob to taunt it. Eventually (after the DPS wiped the raid several times) I discovered that ThreatPlates was blocking my mouse from targeting the spawned add. Once I turned off nameplates I had no issues targeting whatsoever.

I'm not exactly sure how you have it setup, but I have a theory. Because the size of the nameplate varies by whether you have aggro on the mob or not, I think that when you gain aggro on a mob, there is an invisible frame (or more than likely the same frame that is no longer completely filled) leftover from when the nameplate shrank after you gained aggro. And that invisible part is blocking click-throughs.

Anyone else have this problem? Its not a huge deal for me because I randomly turn nameplates off and on in the middle of combat anyway, depending on if I find nameplates annoying at that particular second of time or not.
    I'll check to see if the plates targetable regions are mismatching. Try these on ptr! The increased distance on nameplates adds a whole new level to these.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephurus View Post
    i would like the color changing base on threat% of this addon merge with the layout from cleanplate(plus a casting bar) then it will be perfect for any tank.
    It is impossible to change the way the default nameplates associate threat with nameplates. You can't use omen data to correspond with a nameplate since nameplates have no references to a UNIT ID ( Yes even if they have a specific name ).

For those of you requesting some animations, I don't believe it's impossible but I lack the expertise for doing it. That would definitely be an awesome sight though. Tidy Plates is rather limitless in terms of customization.

Hi there folks,

There's a few things that I'd like to elaborate on:

1. The default Blizzard nameplates are basically an invisible secure unit-frame, with graphical elements attached to it. The frame size can be changed when out of combat, but during combat, the frame is locked. This can present a problem when nameplates become visible during combat, if the plate graphics are significantly larger than the original graphic.

2. Aloft works quite differently than Tidy Plates, as several have noted. It hides all the default graphics, and replaces it with its own. In addition, it keeps a reference to each of the nameplates, and tries to match the plate with a mob that it observes in the combat log. This allows each mob to be tracked, to a degree. With some cleverness, Aloft is able to take a guess at threat, and targetoftargets. In addition, since it's sniffing the combat events, it's able to provide better support for cast bars.

However, all that cleverness pays a price in CPU cycles (and, to a lesser impact, memory)

Tidy Plates, as mentioned, replaces and extends Blizzard's graphics. It contains all of the features that Blizzard's plates contain, and some of the limitations. In my "highly-scientific, perfectly-controlled" Deadmines runs, Tidy Plates handles large mob counts with a lower impact to framerates, compared to a similarly-configured Aloft. This may not be a problem for many of you who are running on uber rigs, but my little P4 sputters when Aloft is running.

Choices, choices...

So just to clarify for myself, when you use this in tank mode green means you have sufficient aggro, yellow means you are low or losing aggro and red means you don't have aggro?

Quote Originally Posted by Toppinyouoff View Post
    So just to clarify for myself, when you use this in tank mode green means you have sufficient aggro, yellow means you are low or losing aggro and red means you don't have aggro?
    Yep that's correct.

From what I've seen of these plates, they look fantastic. For the last 6 months or so of tanking, I've been forced to use the Blizzard default plates as my source of keeping track of mob positions. As with most of the default UI, I quickly became bored with the look of it, and as a Warrior tank, AoE threat isn't my best attribute. So I went looking for an addon to replace the lackluster default plates.

I eventually came across Aloft, which, when downloaded, proceeded to explode in as many ways possible, never working due to a various number of errors I couldn't pinpoint. After a few weeks of desperately attempting to resolve these issues, I came here. I'd seen the topic posted a while back, but was determined to fix my Aloft issues.

A bit of advice however. I'm a computer failure. I use the Curse client to download all of my addons, and as a result know of no other method of saving them to the computer. Could someone explain how to download these so I can use them in game? If the explanation is too lengthy, is there somewhere I can go to get a tutorial on how to download? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is the last piece I need to have a thoroughly effective UI.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Indicted View Post
    From what I've seen of these plates, they look fantastic. For the last 6 months or so of tanking, I've been forced to use the Blizzard default plates as my source of keeping track of mob positions. As with most of the default UI, I quickly became bored with the look of it, and as a Warrior tank, AoE threat isn't my best attribute. So I went looking for an addon to replace the lackluster default plates.

I eventually came across Aloft, which, when downloaded, proceeded to explode in as many ways possible, never working due to a various number of errors I couldn't pinpoint. After a few weeks of desperately attempting to resolve these issues, I came here. I'd seen the topic posted a while back, but was determined to fix my Aloft issues.

A bit of advice however. I'm a computer failure. I use the Curse client to download all of my addons, and as a result know of no other method of saving them to the computer. Could someone explain how to download these so I can use them in game? If the explanation is too lengthy, is there somewhere I can go to get a tutorial on how to download? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is the last piece I need to have a thoroughly effective UI.

Regards.

I just updated these today and they will be available on curse after they take 17 hours to get to my updated file.

However if you're looking for how to install these simply go to:

Tidy Plates: ThreatPlates : WoWInterface Downloads : Plug-Ins & Patches

... download and extract the zip to your \Interface\Addons\ directory.

Also on that page you'll see a link to Tidy Plates v5.4 which is also required to have these working.

Go to the link shown and do the same to install them. Or use the curse client to install v5.4 here:
    Tidy Plates - Addons - Curse

Threat plates is also on curse, and is currently awaiting update:
    Tidy Plates: Threat Plates - Addons - Curse

Version 1.6 changes:
    • Threat system reworked to allow much cleaner scaling to avoid frame size mismatches.
    • Options have been completely redone.
    • Per role and per threat level scaling has been implemented.
    • Spell Cast text has been implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodwraith View Post
    I don't think any nameplates can do that.
    Pretty sure the actual Blizz nameplates can do that theres an option in there somewhere i'll confirm it soon as i can be bothered to sign back in :P

I will definitely try these out tonight, thanks! I ditched aloft a while ago since we've got things on farm and I don't even need them anymore. Mixed with the high cpu usage it just was not worth it for me!

These however are nice and clean and low memory usage, so I'll give them a go! I'll let you know how they work tonight in some togc25 action! Thanks again.

Wars I agree with you Aloft isn't worth the while.

Tidy plates does a dam fine job even with the limits.
    I really like my current Tidy plates setup with Tidy Plates core, CleanPlates, and ThreatPlates

Well after taking these things through a few ToC's and an Ulduar run or two I can say they're the best thing any tank could ask for in regards to keeping track of a bunch of different mobs.

I recommended these to the tanks in my guild, as well as a few of the DPS who seem to have a problem with pulling threat. I'm sure everyone will find these as effective as I have.

I've been using these since tuesday night and I have to say;
    Thank you! This is the best nameplate mod I have used. Not only do they change size(if you lose aggro they get BIG, making them easier to click), when they are small, they are still very easy to see and the health/name is very clean.

The whole presentation is very well done and I have to say thank you, please keep development going and I will always use these plates.

Im confused as to what combination of these addons I need to work with 3.3 as a tank?

Wars what set up you have?
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    Im confused as to what combination of these addons I need to work with 3.3 as a tank?

Wars what set up you have?
    The addon used for my threat plates is called Tidy Plates:
    Tidy Plates : WoWInterface Downloads : Unit Mods

My theme is used by this addon to create my Threat Plates:

Quote Originally Posted by Syronius View Post
    The addon used for my threat plates is called Tidy Plates:
    Tidy Plates : WoWInterface Downloads : Unit Mods

My theme is used by this addon to create my Threat Plates:
    Thank you for your response. After reading some of the responses here I'm going to give yours a try. My main concern is the look, can it be changed? As in I have shared media and lots of .tga files available for bars and borders, can I use them to skin the base addon?

Does it have a in-game config that would allow me to change the bar texture, borders, and fonts?

I'm looking for a darker more subdued look. Though I do like the aggro coloring on the edges. You can see what I'm going for with my UI, link is in my sig line.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Bodasafa; 12-13-2009 at 12:40 AM.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

My main concern is the look, can it be changed? As in I have shared media and lots of .tga files available for bars and borders, can I use them to skin the base addon?
    The look is completely customizable IF you know what you're doing.
    If you're more interested in how it's done check out:
    Tidy Plates: Sample / Template for Designers : WoWInterface Downloads : Plug-Ins & Patches
    The only thing you can't change is the health bar color and casting bar color.(YET)

Does it have a in-game config that would allow me to change the bar texture, borders, and fonts?
    There is nothing in-game other than scale and role options.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner Boda, yeah I'm using both the clean plates and threat plates atm and it's just so easy to use.

I'm even liking the fact that they change size depending on how the aggro changes.

So if I charge into a group in Pit of Saron, and then all of a sudden my hunter goes, "Screw you wars, I'm hitting the last kill target," as soon as the mob goes to him, the plate will become about twice the size and I can very easily select it!

The whole thing is very unobtrusive and very "clean" as it was meant to be.

Thanks for the layered pic Syro, I'm not going to screw with it, but that's because I do like the default look!

Quote Originally Posted by Syronius View Post
    The look is completely customizable IF you know what you're doing.
    If you're more interested in how it's done check out:
    Tidy Plates: Sample / Template for Designers : WoWInterface Downloads : Plug-Ins & Patches
    The only thing you can't change is the health bar color and casting bar color.(YET)
    Unfortunately I have no .lua editing experience, aside from adding in some .tga names to a gui. But that was only after I figured out I could just copy the line and replace the name of the ones already present.

i'd love to see one more setting for things not targeting me. Would be real helpful to know which one of the 5-10 things on my screen do I need to taunt.

+ Reply to Thread