+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: (3.2) State of the Death Knight - Current Specs/Styles

Quote Originally Posted by Lilithium View Post
    Didn't I just say that?
    Impale can't miss. It can't be dodged, it can't be parried, it can't miss.

I currently tank HToC 25 with a Blood spec, and really like it

Talent Calculator

I've taken 3/5 Necrosis instead of 3/3 WotN after a small math. WotN allow me to avoid about max 2k7 hp from a hit when I'm full buffed. However, those 3 points may be used in an other talent, but I don't really know which (Ravenous Dead or Necrosis?)

I think Glyph of Diseases is a really usefull glyph in raid conditions. It allow me to do a cleaner, reactive rotation than a IT/PS refresh rotation, and to do one more HS. Sudden Doom scale with the use of a Pest rotation, and Morbidity scale with Sudden Doom (and a 15s CD DnD is always welcome in AoE Threat). All of those for a good single threat.

I confess I don't like lose hit pool (it's surely a fault), thinking hp pool remain the better survival point in HL PvE, even if I change for a avoidance stuff in some encounter or if I see "main stuff" of certain tank gemmed with Dodge/Sta, Def/Sta gems, or even Exp/Sta and Hit/sta.

I apologize for my bad english, I'm french

Unfortunately I don't have the log from that encounter, as it was just a pug run. Next time I'll be sure to record it, just in case it happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilithium View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have the log from that encounter, as it was just a pug run. Next time I'll be sure to record it, just in case it happens again.
    There isn't a need, as it won't happen "again".
    Something very likely made impale fall off, disarm, agro switches, bops... but it wasn't avoidance.

It's true, Impale applications cannot be avoided by any means. If there was a way, in the many many many many attempts one of our tanks sporting our 60%+ avoidances would've not had an application on the timer.

I have Satrina's Buff frames setup to track the debuffs on my co-tank(s), so I can see every time it stacks. I'm comfortable that my sample size is big enough that I would have seen at least one instance by now.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Possible then that the other tank grabbed aggro just enough to get impaled, and then I snagged it back without noticing? That's probably a more reasonable answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    It's true, Impale applications cannot be avoided by any means. If there was a way, in the many many many many attempts one of our tanks sporting our 60%+ avoidances would've not had an application on the timer.

I have Satrina's Buff frames setup to track the debuffs on my co-tank(s), so I can see every time it stacks. I'm comfortable that my sample size is big enough that I would have seen at least one instance by now.
    I know that on normal mode Gormok is Disarmable will this allow Impale avoidance?
    sKsBlaster/Blasterion for Stim Kill Smile and Last Light on Stim Kill Smile and MedivhUS

The disarm for heroic mode is a MUST because it drops gormoks overall damage and will help keep your tank from getting 1 shot.
    The Pwnstar Puddin, Now in a Fun Sized Goblin Shell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwnanapuddin View Post
    The disarm for heroic mode is a MUST because it drops gormoks overall damage and will help keep your tank from getting 1 shot.
    Again, not possible.

he can't be disarmed in heroic as far as I know
    sKsBlaster/Blasterion for Stim Kill Smile and Last Light on Stim Kill Smile and MedivhUS

Gormokk has a funny quirk like Steelbreaker, if you're kiting him for some reason or he's running to catch his tank and the timer comes up for Impale/Fusion Punch, he'll pick a random (probably highest threat) target in melee range and sock them.

So, this is NOT a thing you want to try and use, but it could explain you not getting the stack if you were out of melee range.

A noob question:
    I am currently frost specced, and I'm seeing a lot of DK tanks in prestigious guilds run a blood spec. So I am debating on whether or not to respec into blood. My question, will blood spec be worse for me because I'm assuming that there is a much higher intake of damage, and since my health pool is only 32.2k unbuffed frost specced going blood will not be as beneficial? Also, will blood tanking be so different that it will lower my performance and make me not tank as consistently as I did in frost?

One of the big benefits (biggest) is the health pool and inflatable health pool (Vamp Blood) of Blood that allows it to take bigger blows, especially from hard mode content. This makes for a much more manageable, and steady intake of damage for the healers to work with.

This isn't to say Frost and Unholy don't work equally well in hard mode content, but damage intake can be a bit streakier, so make sure your healers are really on point.

I've run Blood and am currently running DW Frost, and the increase in passive damage reduction, increased chance to be missed, and especially acclimation (my guilty secret) I've found several encounters where Frost is just a blast (howling) to play.

As Satorri will most likely reiterate, play what you enjoy, and what works best for you.

Or as I like to put it, "If women can play WoW, then DW Frost tanking is clearly not the strangest thing happening to Warcraft."

Lilithium said it true. =) Play what you enjoy. He's on his own for the women comment though, don't know what that is about.

Just because people do it in the "best" guilds does not mean it is better, or right for you, or your team. If you're curious, try it out and see what you think. Maybe you'll prefer Blood, or maybe it will re-affirm what you like about Frost.

I think that even when played very straight forward (i.e. before you learn how to time heals, or use any of the more complex healing tools), Blood is very simple, and the DS used in rotation alone to generate death runes will probably be enough to make the increase in damage taken not really noticeable.

wondering if unholy can drop 2 points from scent of blood to take improved unholy aura. terrible idea?

Imp Unholy Pres is a nice enough talent, but not amazing. You could also just trade 7 stamina for increased run speed on your boot enchant.

SoB isn't a given for Unholy though, I just happen to use it in my current project for different priorities (that also don't leave room for Imp Unholy Pres, nor does it get as much use out of it).

Here's a little unholy spec I've tinkered with in the past. I know it doesn't use IIT, and that's a bit sacrilege; however the constant aoe threat output/add control is phenomenal.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

The question i have and its been plauging me for weeks and i dont upgrade with triumph gear is bc i lose so much hit. Right now im at 4.36% hit and 7.4% expertise and i cant stomach the fact i have so little hit and i could lose much more from gear upgrades. Now i tank in Blood spec and have DW frost for boredem or heroics. Please someone share some insight into this. I have searched many other better geared tanks and no one has hit gems, etc and some have more hit then i and some have less.

WoW Heroes - World of Warcraft PvE character info & ratings

I think we have talked about the fact that hit rating for tanking is not as big of a deal right now. But that does not mean to just ignore the stat. Also remember, gear is not just gear score and iLvL, if you need to change gear to bump hit up for a fight, or even take the Onyx trink for a high boost to avoidance stats.
    The Pwnstar Puddin, Now in a Fun Sized Goblin Shell.

Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster. I have a few questions regarding single target threat as a Frost DK. Here is my armory for reference:

The World of Warcraft Armory

It's basically the cc spec from page one that seems to be working quite well. First off you might ask why Rune of Swordshattering on my weapon? I don't need the defense as much since I'm capped already. I use that Rune because of the parry it provides. My logic is this: More parry means more chance for me to avoid attacks. This leads to Rune Strike procing more often therefore building more single target threat OR Scent of Blood procing leading to more Runic Power = more FS assuming Rime is up. Is this the wrong way to build single target threat? Or is my logic wrong and I should go back to Rune of Stone Skin Gargoyle?

I've read that their is no solid single target threat rotation, but this is what I've been using IT PS BS BS OB DUMP OB. If Rime is up and I have RP use FS. If KM is up, wait for Rime and hit HB. I had in mind to try out DnD, HB, BS, FS regardless if Rime is up or not. HoW after BS if I don't have enough runic power for at least one FS.

I'm not sure why my single target threat is suffering. Possibly my spec? or my Rotation? or maybe my priority order is wrong? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

+ Reply to Thread