+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
Results 181 to 190 of 190

Thread: (3.2) State of the Death Knight - Current Specs/Styles

  1. #181
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulia View Post
    Yes, and thank you.
    . . .
    I'm loving my dual-wield frost spec. However, as I'm about to post in Swam's thread. I wouldn't completely abandon Blood (I, in fact, am dual specced tank :x)
    You're welcome! :-)
    So...what do you think about the differences? IS d/w more for AoE and Blood for Single target? You are dual-spec'd tanking for those two different scenarios I'm guessing. I feel okay with Blood, but haven't tried the raid yet; the 5-player instances have been okay, though.
    Yay! Sparklies and Pretty Butterflies!
    */Gives everyone Candiz, and /Waves with Blankie*
    http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/wow/8/...83400JYOhf.png

  2. #182
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,096
    Nope. In fact, in 3.2 I dual spec tanked for those reasons. My Frost Spec was strictly for AoE, it had Chillblains, Hungering Cold, and DnD talented. It was an AoE machine, but fairly awful at single target.

    In 3.3, my Frost Spec consistently pulls better single-target threat than Blood. It also does better at AoE, but not being able to toss down a DnD as often scares me.

    The main issue right now is survivability, and my ability to manage cooldowns to keep myself alive.

  3. #183
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    127
    Unholy Command is purely for the Casters and also as a "Snap" Taunt. Its more of an "Oh Shit" button.

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    289
    I would like peoples opinion about using scent of blood, currently i got 3 in there and none in subversion as a blood DK tank, i currently put out 7K tps easly once i get going (self).

    I was wondering how much runic power i would actually lose if any.

    Anyone their experience or take on this would be appreciated.

  5. #185
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,930
    You will get less RP, yes. SoB is a good way to generate RP.

    As Blood, the real question is whether or not you'll miss it. I say no. As Blood the only thing SoB will get you is more Death Coils. Check your combat log parse or recount after the next instance you run and see just how much DC is giving you.

    Then consider that Subversion will give you about 13% more HS threat... (with 3/3 in MoM that is)
    Last edited by Satorri; 12-14-2009 at 09:51 AM.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

  6. #186
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    minnesota aka southern canada
    Posts
    2,184
    Halp! my unholy dps has plummeted! guess I may go back to blood lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler View Post
    I'm on a shark

  7. #187
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by Sennex View Post
    Unholy Command is purely for the Casters and also as a "Snap" Taunt. Its more of an "Oh Shit" button.
    The ability is Dark Command; the talent is Unholy Command. Death Grip - the ability modified by the talent - is for casters, yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Swam View Post
    Halp! my unholy dps has plummeted! guess I may go back to blood lol
    This?
    Yay! Sparklies and Pretty Butterflies!
    */Gives everyone Candiz, and /Waves with Blankie*
    http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/wow/8/...83400JYOhf.png

  8. #188
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Sennex View Post
    Unholy Command is purely for the Casters and also as a "Snap" Taunt. Its more of an "Oh Shit" button.
    Stating absolutes isn't likely to get you far.

    The talent is is a staple in many PvP specs, for casters and even cowardly melee alike. It has its uses in PvE against casters and caster pulls. However, consider the following:

    When pulling, you only get one death grip. Having it talented won't give you a second one for the pull.

    On occasion, some caster mobs do try to move away. In this situation the talent may be useful in allowing you to use it in the middle of a fight against such casters.
    - Of all the fights you've tanked, how many fit this example?
    - Further, when a mob HAS moved away, how often has it moved away again several seconds after you death gripped it, but before your cooldown is up again?

    Could the points in the talent be used elsewhere to provide a survival or threat benefit that applies to situations which occur more often or almost every time.


    In the end, any decent person giving advice won't give absolutes. Sattori says it, Swam will say it. With especial regard to DKs, there's many different ways to make a DK tanking spec. I put points into the unholy death and decay talent as Frost for a long time because I simply wasn't comfortable not being able to put Death and Decay on the ground when I wanted to use it. Elitist tanks would probably have scoffed at me, but it's what I did. If a tank is more comfortable having their death grip at the ready, then, by all means put the points in.

    But the reasons for not doing so are simply being made as points of consideration. The majority of specs with Unholy Command are PvP specs. In the majority of cases you shouldn't need that oh shit button more than the normal death grip cooldown, otherwise you're probably doing something that needs to be changed or you'll simply run into complications down the road. The points likely scale better and generalize better in a survival talent or a talent that universally ups your threat to avoid those "oh shit" moments from happening repeatedly in the first place.

  9. #189
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Valquirie View Post
    The ability is Dark Command; the talent is Unholy Command. Death Grip - the ability modified by the talent - is for casters, yes.
    Um, thanks? I guess, not sure, need more coffee apparently

    Quote Originally Posted by Lulia View Post
    Stating absolutes isn't likely to get you far.
    Uh, what? I was referring to how I use it and why I would spec for it, which was asked earlier. No absolutes here, just what "I" do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lulia View Post
    The talent is is a staple in many PvP specs, for casters and even cowardly melee alike. It has its uses in PvE against casters and caster pulls. However, consider the following:

    When pulling, you only get one death grip. Having it talented won't give you a second one for the pull.

    On occasion, some caster mobs do try to move away. In this situation the talent may be useful in allowing you to use it in the middle of a fight against such casters.
    - Of all the fights you've tanked, how many fit this example?
    - Further, when a mob HAS moved away, how often has it moved away again several seconds after you death gripped it, but before your cooldown is up again?

    Could the points in the talent be used elsewhere to provide a survival or threat benefit that applies to situations which occur more often or almost every time.
    I actually have yet to NOT spec for it, so its hard for me to answer your questions based off the CD is always available to me when I do need it.

    The mobs rarely get away from me, but there is the odd time in HoR, or the First ICC 5-man (Can't remember name) where a shade (Or caster while running from Arthas) will break away, and I need it back. I can't think of a single instance other than these where I have that issue.

    For the most part I view it much how I view and used Intercept/ Intervene on my Warrior Tank. (If this makes sense)

  10. #190
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1

    cool stuf

    ty so much for this man do you happen to know a good DK keybinding setup? If you do think you could plz email it to me at Dongenoese23@yahoo.com for me?

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts