+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: WotLK Disc Priest Guide

How accurate is World of Logs in regard to our absorbs? I was checking the logs for my guilds 25 man raid last night and seemed to have a bit more healing than the others on encounters like Festergut, and even fights like Saurfang where there's pretty much nothing happening. I even managed to keep up with a resto druid on BQL apparently, but some how i'm sceptical of it being accurate of what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiaphas View Post
    How accurate is World of Logs in regard to our absorbs? I was checking the logs for my guilds 25 man raid last night and seemed to have a bit more healing than the others on encounters like Festergut, and even fights like Saurfang where there's pretty much nothing happening. I even managed to keep up with a resto druid on BQL apparently, but some how i'm sceptical of it being accurate of what I did.
    there's a thread about this:
    http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...d-disc-shields

i asked this qq on elitist jerks, too, and got thrown in the trash for it, so I have no idea whether anyone has any better answers than the one in the thread I linked because I sure haven't been able to find it

it does appear that bql logs are bugged, but I'm still trying to figure out why...

sick buff to us in 3.3.3. 5% from IC buff to absorbs, 5% from set bonus, and DA proccing correctly from Glyph of PWShield. just sick... Suddenly, my DA is almost 30% of my total healing when it used to be 9-10%. ...atleast according to worldoflogs.

I just compared the logs from two recent 25 mans i've healed in, on Wednesday this week, my Divine Aegis did 28% of my healing, where as on a 25 man last week, it only healed for 4.4% of my total healing. Lovely buff!

A little bit lost.

I'm running my disc priest with 389 haste and a 21.2% crit chance. I gem for haste with all my yellow gem slots. Should I be going for more crit instead?

And what are people's thoughts on Meteor Chaser's Rainment?
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50974

As disc you shouldn't need to gem for haste. You only need 4.87% to be GCD capped with borrowed time - I have around 600 haste which is making my flashes about 1.1 seconds even outside of borrowed time, and I really don't feel like I need any more.

Meteor Chaser's looks fantastic to me, my big dilemma is whether I am going to try for the 4pc t10 or just go off-set. If I go offset, I'll be picking up Meteor's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    people don't know how to keep it in their pants for a little bit before exploding all over my face.

Thanks for the guide it really helped me get back into my class after a two year break.

Meteor Chaser chest is awesome bought it and never looked back if you are starting to collect parts of icc 10 and 25 gear then you shouldn't need to gem for haste as the gear it's self gives more then you will need the same goes for crit atm with this gear http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...os&n=Coolnitro I have 635 haste and 35% crit, I would like however to try getting a complete new set and gemming full haste to see how low I can get my greater heal before BT.

The value of haste depends highly on whether you're raid healing or tank healing, or if you're like me and do a bit of both. Haste is not crucial for raid healing because of the high uptime on BT, but extremely nice for tank healing because of the low uptime on BT. I still wouldn't gem significant amounts of it, because any way you cut it SP is stronger, but using it to meet decent yellow sockets is not a bad idea for some playstyles and roles. Never gem crit, even as Disc.

Likewise, T10 vs. offset depends on your role also (in my opinion). The tier 4-piece is nothing short of incredible for a raid healing Discie (who is highly reliant on bubbles), whereas a tank healer will only be able to cast their PW:S every so often and thus would benefit more from the higher haste and crit on the offset pieces.

As a Discie who does half-and-half (we have a skilled Holy Paladin who I supplement on tank heals while throwing bubbles around the raid), I went the offset route - this was before the change to the 4-piece bonus, but I still think it's a good decision for my playstyle. I don't think I'd switch to tier unless I had at least 3/4 Sanctified pieces (I don't), and even then I would only use it for primarily raid healing and stick to my offset pieces for fights like Fester.

I recently tried replacing my 264 off-set shoulders and hands with 264 tier gloves and 251 tier shoulders, and noticed that the HoT (33% chance to heal for 33% of your Flash Heal over 9 sec) did next to no healing (on many fights it was less than 1%). Not worth losing 30 SP and some crit/haste/int. Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Harmacy; 04-03-2010 at 07:53 PM.

Here is my disc priest.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...s&cn=Beerwynch
    Note: this toon is an alt and is primarily concerned with being able to substitute in for raid spots.

The obvious problems. The PvP place holders. They'll only stick around till I get better PvE drops.
    I see a lot of H PoS in my future as I can get nice upgrades in the belt, boot, and trinket slots.
    Get the Meteor Robe from frost badges (note, this robe also fits in for my dps set so it is all sorts of win).

I guess I should try to keep my haste somewhere between 300 and 400? So get the Meteor robe and drop haste gems for SP/int gems or pure Int.

Anything else I'm obviously doing wrong?

There are nice (and nowadays very cheap) belt and boots you can have crafted. If you have a few hundred gold kicking around, go get them. On that note, Bejeweled Wizard's Bracers are downright fantastic for Disc, again if you can afford them go for it. And of course, get the second badge ring. There is a nice SP trinket in one of the new instances, I forget which one though.

It seems you're under the impression that more than 400 haste is a waste, which is not true unless you're pure 100% raid heals. Since this is an alt and will likely be undergeared relative to the content you'd be subbing in for, I would definitely recommend some more int gems and staying away from haste for now - just wanted to clear that up. Haste is very nice for tank healing.

On the subject of playing it safe mana-wise - go with Darkglow Embroidery. Lightweave is decent but random, I wouldn't bother with it unless you're absolutely rolling in more mana than you know what to do with. Also, Insighful Earthsiege Diamond is a healer's best friend. Darkglow is worth about 33-35 mp5, and IED is worth a whopping 90 mp5 (not including the 21 intellect).

Meteor Chaser's Raiment would be a fantastic choice for you (or any Discie for that matter).

Spec and glyphs look good.

If the raid is taking damage and I have to work on raid healing then what sort of things should a disc priest be doing?

I find myself popping a shield for borrowed time and then hitting the lack-luster prayer of healing on top of casting Prayer of Mending on every cooldown. Is there a better way?

A lot of where disc shines as raid healing is being able to anticipate damage. The only way to do this, is to learn the encounters like the back of your hand. Sometimes PoH is needed, it isn't lackluster, just expensive, but it crits a lot and thus has a pretty decent chance of proc'g an aegis on people. If you can anticipate damage you can pre-bubble, or on for instance, Marrowgar, you can bubble people who got spiked, or people slow to move out of fire, it allows the raid healers with faster direct raid heals to have a better chance of topping them off with less chance of death. On Lich King, it is absolutly OP as disc to raid heal. Bubble everyone all the time, keep PoM out, profit. It makes infest a neglegable part of the encounter instead of something healers will always be trying to top off.

Just takes practice

As a Disc priest with a GS of 5.6k what should I be pulling on recount meters. I get kicked from 25 ICC pugs because I'm in last place on the meters on almost every run I go on. I do pull around 1.8 - 2k on the meters. Is it that I just am a noob and need to learn how to play a disc priest or is it that most people are not smart enough to know how a Disc Priest's healing works.

I am always shocked about people who don't understand meters STILL. Was healing even the issue? Were people dying because they weren't healed or from their own stupidity? Were the healing assigments correct? IE: they didn't put the holy priest on the tank? Download Recount Guessed Absorbs, next time some bonehead tells you you suck, tell them they are an unenlightened fool and link them absorbs. Most of your healing will not show on traditional meters, because they don't track absorbs, which is mostly what you do, PREVENT damage from ever occuring in the first place. Well played, disc is a very very very strong asset to any raid.

Better yet, try this: Recount Heal & Guessed Absorb

Puts absorbs and heals together (requires Recount). Anywho, it is silly that some people still don't grasp the concept of absorption.

Thank you for the links. I have the Recount Heal & Guessed Absorb installed at this time. I hope that this will help me with my 25 man pug issues. And I will not have to push so hard to keep my numbers up by over healing worse then a pally lol=)

In response to anticipated damage.. on my Disc Priest (Cynisel / Blackhand) my mana regen is at a point where I can get away with shielding almost half a 25 man raid (or an entire 10 man) in advance of large AoE damage (Fester's Blight, BoneStorm, etc..). On Fester, once he sucks in the gas the tanks can easily get hit for 60-75k in under 1 sec so Pain Supression when he is under 30% health and the other healers are worried about going OOM or raid heals can be the difference in success or a wipe for most PUGS.

I am a Belf with Arcane Torrent and Sliver or Ice Trinket.. so I pop those whenever they are off CD unless I am 90% mana or above. Work in my Shadowfiend glyph and Hymn of Hope... and I never go OOM. Don't think I have carried a mana pot in over a year...key is, don't wait until you need mana to use Arcane Torrent or your Sliver... if you pop them at 85% of your mana pool they will be off cooldown again by 60% and some fights I can pop those 5-6 times easy during the fight (which is an extra 25k+ in mana).

Regarding meters: I use GuessedAborbsandHeals and make sure whenever the subject of healing comes I, I try to correct most people and phrase it "Raid Impact." I will run #4 or #5 in healing but #1 or #2 in heals plus absorbs. I have never been kicked from a raid (knock on wood). Although this addon is not an perfect science, the perception other players get of your raid impact will change.

The best testament to a Disc Priest is to go Shadow spec for a fight and let the other healers sell a Disc Priest for you (i.e. things get really tough on them without a Disc Priest bubbling people). If you use your bubbles correctly you can be as impactful as a Holy Priest to AoE help.

On Fester, once he sucks in the gas the tanks can easily get hit for 60-75k in under 1 sec. Pain Supression can make the difference in the success of the fight in a PUG on a tank when he gets under 30% health and the other healers are worried about going OOM or raid healing before Pungent Blight hits.

And given my mana regen, against most people's advise I ALWAYS keep Renew on the tanks.

So, my question... If I am gem'd 100% Spell Power.... and my mana regen is more than adequate, how can I better my stats? Is it worth taking out SP gems for haste? gem Intellect for throughput? Crit to get more HoTs rolling?
    Last edited by chainsawal; 04-20-2010 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsawal View Post
    So, my question... If I am gem'd 100% Spell Power.... and my mana regen is more than adequate, how can I better my stats? Is it worth taking out SP gems for haste? gem Intellect for throughput? Crit to get more HoTs rolling?
    A link to your gear would be helpful to see what gear you could get to increase your throughput, but barring that I'll give some basics:

(1) Never gem Haste. Ever. Gem SP for throughput. It is by and large the best bang for your throughput buck as a disc priest, both tank healing & raid bubbling.
    (2) Intellect is your premier regen stat. It has a nominal coefficient to throughput with its slight increase in crit rate.
    (3) Never gem Crit. See (1). I'm confused as to how crit can contribute to rolling HoTs as a disc priest. If you are referring to the 2pc T10, that is a flat 33% chance on any FH cast to produce a HoT, and is not dependent on crits. At anyrate, the 2pc should be a nominal percentage of your overall throughput.

Which brings me back to your original question: How can a disc priest that has no mana issues and its gemmed 100% Spell Power increase his or her throughput via stats?

There is really only one way, and that is to pick up CRIT+HASTE gear (or non-hit "dps" gear). Dropping a low budget stat like SPI for either CRIT or HASTE will improve your throughput, at the cost of regen. Just make sure you set yourself a low point on regen so you do not have OOM issues.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...hand&n=cynisel

This is an alt, so there are obvious upgrades in the neck, offhand, wand, belt, etc..so I haven't been real picky with drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritus View Post
    Never gem Crit
    What? How can you justify not using ANY crit gems? I'm currently using 2 Potent Ametrines (12SP/10crit) in my gear, to match 7SP bonuses if the other gem is red. I cannot think of a greater gem to match yellows with; there's always the Luminous but at any decent level of gear and understanding of fights, the int gained on items themselves is high enough to give a huge mana return from Rapture. Crit is an extremely strong throughput stat thanks to Divine Aegis, second only to haste up until GCD cap and SP, especially with Strength of Wrynn.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Iololololol

That's my armoury, as you can see I've itemized for as much crit as possible; every item has it apart from my Endless Wisdom ring and tier gloves.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=4638&e=4964

This is why I'm itemized that way. Divine Aegis is absolutely huge.

+ Reply to Thread